Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Neville Manor

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Neville Manor

Quote Originally Posted by Caterina Sforza View Post
    After waiting for an hour or so Sir Richard is allowed entrance to the Neville manor where the the earl is found busy writing some papers, after being finished with writing the knight is addressed by the earl. Sir Richard Conisburgh? Westmorland never saw the man before, but he had heard some rumors about the man being born out of wedlock.
    "Lord Neville" Richard said while gently bowing. "I hope I do not bother you at this hour. I can return later."

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

No, no, you are here now so you may speak if you so wish, sir. he replied while putting some papers away, he had just written an important letter to His Holiness.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Blog Entries

Richard nodded. "I shall keep it short my Lord. I wish to court and eventually marry your sister, Elizabeth Neville, Baroness Latimer. The King has given me his apperoval to seek this match your lorship."

Ah. he said, his half sister was the heiress to the barony of Latimer after the premature death of his younger half brother John Neville, born from his father and his mother the lady Elizabeth Latimer, no doubt the man wanted to marry his half sister to steal her lands. I will think about the match but you may court her to see if you are up to the task. he said with a reluctance in his voice, there was nor rush in marrying his half sister.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Quote Originally Posted by Caterina Sforza View Post
    hmm, let us see. Westmorland said, trying to recall some names of potential brides. I know that soon the daughter's of the late Gloucester will be of appropriate age to marry. Joan already is 12 years old. Or you can marry the widow of the late Warwick, but she not that young anymore. He said, there was one more candidate he had in mind. Or you can marry the daughter of Lord Kent, Joan Holland who is aged 16. all high matches but women with no lands attached to them.
    "Well, I'm not that young anymore. But maybe Lord Gloucester's daughter could be a fine choice"

Said Thomas, looking at the ceiling.

"But would she even marry me? I'm no earl or duke to marry a king's granddaughter! But, it would be a good match, indeed"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    "Well, I'm not that young anymore. But maybe Lord Gloucester's daughter could be a fine choice"

Said Thomas, looking at the ceiling.

"But would she even marry me? I'm no earl or duke to marry a king's granddaughter! But, it would be a good match, indeed"
    I am in the good graces of the King so we could arrange something to improve your standing in the peerage to make a marriage more attractive. well, he could try at least. Your children would have royal blood if the marriage is to happen! Westmorland said cheerfully
    Veritas Temporis Filia

He smiled.

"That'd be a good prospect, aye"

Granted Thomas.

"I don't have many lands, but maybe Lord Buckingham's warden could be persuaded to grant me her hand in marriage. Who is her guardian? You know that with Parliament rarely summoned I lose track of the events at court"

Hmm, i think Lord Lancaster is the warden of Lord Gloucester's kids, a clever man to say, so we would have to ask him for her hand. Westmorland said, he was a bit unsure about the man. But we will contact the king first, my brother surely deserves more than that meager title of Baron, eh brother? he rhetorically asked with a smile
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Blog Entries

"Thank you my Lord. I shall write to her often. Will your Lordship inform me? I reside at Fotheringhay Castle." Richard graciously bowed and left. He couldn't help but think about what an awful man Neville was. He did best to keep this thought in his brain though. Where only he, and the almighty would know about it.

"I can visit Lord Lancaster himself. Just to know how willing would he to allow this marriage"

Said Thomas, looking again at the ceiling.

"Maybe you could visit the king, in the meanwhile. I know you're part of his council, you must have access to him, right?"

He smiled.

"If Lancaster outright refuses we can always try again, once you contacted his Majesty, don't you agree?"

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    "I can visit Lord Lancaster himself. Just to know how willing would he to allow this marriage"

Said Thomas, looking again at the ceiling.

"Maybe you could visit the king, in the meanwhile. I know you're part of his council, you must have access to him, right?"

He smiled.

"If Lancaster outright refuses we can always try again, once you contacted his Majesty, don't you agree?"
    Yeah i do, brother, don't worry i'll go to the king and work in your benefit while you go ask Lord Lancaster. he said smilingly, Westmorland was expecting his annulment from the pope of Rome at any moment now.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"Deal, brother!"

He scratched his chin.

"I shall go and see Lord Lancaster. The old Gaunt died, right? Henry of Bolingbroke is now duke... Uh, I think I've seen him... twice or so"

Yes, Lord Gaunt died, Lord Hereford is now Lord Lancaster. he merely said, drinking from his wine he hoped more good news was to follow soon.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"Talking about inheritances"

Said Thomas.

"Our father, God preserve his soul, married Baroness Latimer and our brother got her estates after she died. As you very well know"

Of course, it was obvious.

"Alas, our poor John died few years ago"

He couldn't even remember John's face anymore, but whatever.

"What have you done with those lands ever since?"

By law our dear half sister is to inherit her mother's title's and estate's as she is the sole product of that marriage still alive, God save the soul of our dear John. Westmorland was sure that suitors will flock to Elizabeth to steal her inheritance, like flies on a carcass. For the moment i do control her lands as she is still underage.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"Uh"

He scratched his chin.

"Are we sure our brother wouldn't prefer his lands to remain with us? His beloved brothers"

Little John was too small to have any say about inheritance or his preferences. did Thomas just imply stealing their half sister's inheritance?. What do you imply?
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"Brother, we could just seize her lands"

Said Thomas. He said, now he looked less naive.

"Temporaly, while she's a minor. We could later get some workaround with the King, or something along those lines"

I will think about it, brother. Westmorland said, stealing his half sister's inheritance didn't sit well with him. I confess i don't feel good about such move, however she won't marry soon i think. if she would marry it would be on his terms, not that of the suitor.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"Well, well. We can enjoy its income while she remains unmarried"

He said, with a smile.

"Don't think ill of me, brother, we haven't that many lands and seeing some leave our domain is a sad thing, don't you agree?"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast