Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Master of Ambition

WhiskeySykes's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Master of Ambition

Ooo, I wish it was dynamic... That'd make more sense, but it'd require a lot of scripting. Maybe I'll take a different approach, something like starting tech. Each clan starts with a tech complimenting their prowess. I found the booles for starting tech in the startpos, so it won't be a hassle to do. I'll get to thinking up something tonight. I'm wrapping up unit stats & availability as we speak, so Sig and MoshedZ have something to do.

PS - Region ownership's a , what with over 100 new regions, so look for that in 0.8 instead of 0.7. I'm looking at a Weds-Thurs launch window.
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; April 09, 2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: PS
    Shogun 2 Mods:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

moshedz's Avatar Foederatus

So, I'm back, after a hiatus of testing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...yyyyyy 2 many mods [I'm exhausted].

Until this mod reaches 1.0, practically everything will be broken to hell. A tiny arraay of mods, only what I last covered, work every time. For those with bugs, use the newest version from nexus, with no mods, to make sure it is not MoA's fault. If there is still a bug/issue, tell WS, Asa, or myself [I am offline alot; testing mods and bugging tho],

WS is pooped out, he is working wayyyyyyyy 2 hard as a one man job [well, he is getting 'help' from a bunch of people, but he is working his arse off on this project]. Ergo, lay off him, he is not god , he can be broken, you guys should test on your end before complaining of minor problems to him/us.

As to everyone with suggestions, please post them to http://steamcommunity.com/app/34330/...1907142791301/ the new suggestion forum [I created it ].

Thanks from me for all the PMs on steam [mod test Qs], and from WS for all the support + help + suggestions.

-Best, me
    The Best Defense is Bowmen,The Best Offense is Bowmen
    So why aren't all games comprised of just bowmen?
    Yari fanboys.

Good idea making that steam topic. Maybe it'll get more traffic if I ever upload it to steam.

Everything's ready for more beta testing, then soon after 0.7's launch. I just have to make it not crash after all my edits. This is the part of the process where I stuff my game directory with crash reports.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

Hey all,

I thought I'd leave the forums for the day with an update. I've hit a wall of sorts, but nothing that hasn't happened before. All my edits are finished, the game just crashes at sartup every time. My choices are clear, I'm either rebuilding 0.7 from 0.6.x, or my last attempt at narrowing down the null/broken dependency will be a success, and I can send 0.7 to beta testing. No worries, either way.

I've rebuilt MA several times since launching the first beta. Its not a very involved process, usually taking as little as three days to rebuild from an earlier version. I've already made mincemeat of 0.7, looking for the problem table, but I've got one more try left in me. I have a good idea its a database error, and broken dependency at that, since S2 crashes at game startup. (If it crashed at campaign startup, I'd know it was a start_pos error.)

And since CA were so kind to hide their crash reports behind compressed .dmp's, I've got nothing to direct my searching but intuition. (Even knowing the language is coded in jruby, that doesn't help, because mod crash .dmp's are often enough illegible.) So, armed with intuition, two cigarettes, and a liter of orange juice, I know what I'm doing tonight. I'll update once 0.7's in the beta tester's hands. Thanks for being patient.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

not all heroes wear capes :') good luck and don't work too hard!

No cape, but I bring some game. I've been modding Morrowind for years, which is nothing alike - you can break Morrowind 100 ways and still play - save you learn patience and how to help yourself... and to always keep 10 backups between thumb drives, your pc, and at least one file host. You learn to be paranoid.

PS - Thanks for staying with the mod. I hope 0.7 is to everyone's satisfaction.
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; April 13, 2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: ps
    Shogun 2 Mods:

Hey guys!

I finally started rebuilding 0.7 last night. This is what I've been dealing with the last 5 evenings.

The new resources are working fine, and I've begun rebuilding the buildings tables. I'm sorry this update has taken a month, but between the issues above, the time I sunk in region ownership, and the mass of tables affected by units and buildings, I couldn't accurately predict time involved. Please hang in there.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

Hey Whiskey, no worries here mate. i've been really looking forward to your mod. just take your time no need to rush at the final moment and know that we all appreciate your good job there

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeySykes View Post
    Hey guys!

I finally started rebuilding 0.7 last night. This is what I've been dealing with the last 5 evenings.

The new resources are working fine, and I've begun rebuilding the buildings tables. I'm sorry this update has taken a month, but between the issues above, the time I sunk in region ownership, and the mass of tables affected by units and buildings, I couldn't accurately predict time involved. Please hang in there.
    Quite frankly, I'm fairly certain most of us are used to wait months, if not years between updates of our favourite mods. So yeah, we'll be fine, you do your thing.

As well, it's been a while since I've been this excited about a Shogun 2 mod. To be honest, this thread has made me re-install the game. I'll be sure to tell you what I think about this mod when I'm done with a battle or two.

Cheers.

moshedz's Avatar Foederatus

SOME MOD SUPPORT INFO:

0.7 may actually work with mods, like, more than 5, as opposed to 0.6 which works with <10 confirmed and a few iffs, which would be nice for all of you that like building a collection of mods you play at the same time.

Darthmod and Radious still won't work though, sorry for all those fans of those things.
    The Best Defense is Bowmen,The Best Offense is Bowmen
    So why aren't all games comprised of just bowmen?
    Yari fanboys.

Would it be possible to make historical important persons like Oda Nobunaga, Date Masamune, Ii Naomasa, Tokugawa Ieyasu etc. be immortal? Not immortal in age nor in battles but whenever one of these die in battle, they're just been seen as "wounded" and respawn in next few rounds. Just like Battle of Nagashino mod from Sorry~* Shot you^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Kuraigami View Post
    Would it be possible to make historical important persons like Oda Nobunaga, Date Masamune, Ii Naomasa, Tokugawa Ieyasu etc. be immortal? Not immortal in age nor in battles but whenever one of these die in battle, they're just been seen as "wounded" and respawn in next few rounds. Just like Battle of Nagashino mod from Sorry~* Shot you^^;
    I don't see why not. I'll look into it in v. 0.9 or 1.0.

So if they die in battle, they convalesce; what about assassinations and old age?
    Shogun 2 Mods:

I don't see why not. I'll look into it in v. 0.9 or 1.0.

So if they die in battle, they convalesce; what about assassinations and old age?
    Guess they die at old age, at assinations the best "crit" you might get is wounded. It's just so the game is like "Yeah, your heir got out of age and is ready to serve as general." 2 rounds later he died already and you just notice: Well... RIP Ieyasu.

Guess they die at old age, at assinations the best "crit" you might get is wounded. It's just so the game is like "Yeah, your heir got out of age and is ready to serve as general." 2 rounds later he died already and you just notice: Well... RIP Ieyasu.
    On the other hand, it's fricking immersion breaking to have literally borderline unkillable characters. Your game should reflect your choices, victories, and defeats. When it's the reverse, it's just not as interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfyre View Post
    On the other hand, it's fricking immersion breaking to have literally borderline unkillable characters. Your game should reflect your choices, victories, and defeats. When it's the reverse, it's just not as interesting.
    That might be true, but how about 2 versions then? Having one with immortal characters and one without, like that anyone can decide himself whatever he wants to play. Also, I have never seen any player being happy about Tokugawa Ieyasu or any other cool historical character dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfyre View Post
    I mostly agree with you - especially if Nobunaga can't be killed. That would turn a lot of people off. I'll look into it, though.

To recap, 0.8 will focus on diplomacy, region ownership, clan traits, and working around Realm Divide. I made a lot of progress in region ownership last month, but it was diverting a lot of time away from unit balance, so I left that for 0.8. The start date will be pushed to 1560, and the clan boundaries and family trees will reflect this critical period. Tokugawa will start in alliance with both Takeda and Oda, and Mori will sit at the peak of their power. Ikko Ikki and Mori will have trade, or something to simulate the dealings between the Peasant Kingdom and Mori, and the Ashikaga and Mori will be allied. Otomo will hold most Kyushu: Ryuxoji, Shimazu, and Mori besides... I think those are the biggest changes.

As far as RD, my plan fell to pieces when I learned its hard coded. I wanted to give prestige a bonus to friendly relations, a malus to unfriendly types, and do nothing to the aloof. RD would only trip after taking Kyoto. After one year holding Kyoto, the player would receive note that an obscure scion of Ashikaga is rallying allies to depose you, and the player would receive several declarations of war, from warmongering/unfriendly types. That was the extent of it, and at the time I didn't think this would be difficult. All I can do is script certain clans never to war, or never to strike peace. I can assign new cultures to certain clans, so the Realm Divide mechanic won't effect them - but RD will always be there.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

Also, I have never seen any player being happy about Tokugawa Ieyasu or any other cool historical character dying.
    Unless you can poll a thousand+ regular Shogun 2 players for a decent sample size, the only thing you have is anecdotal evidence.

That might be true, but how about 2 versions then? Having one with immortal characters and one without, like that anyone can decide himself whatever he wants to play.
    That... could work, I guess.

As far as RD, my plan fell to pieces when I learned its hard coded. I wanted to give prestige a bonus to friendly relations, a malus to unfriendly types, and do nothing to the aloof. RD would only trip after taking Kyoto. After one year holding Kyoto, the player would receive note that an obscure scion of Ashikaga is rallying allies to depose you, and the player would receive several declarations of war, from warmongering/unfriendly types. That was the extent of it, and at the time I didn't think this would be difficult. All I can do is script certain clans never to war, or never to strike peace. I can assign new cultures to certain clans, so the Realm Divide mechanic won't effect them - but RD will always be there.
    Damn. Realm Divide was probably one of the most broken vanilla game mechanic; I was really looking forward to your changes.

Also, will you make Yari Samurai more powerful in your mod? In History, they weren't that weak and most Samurai used bow and Yari in wars, so why not make them the same as Katana Samurai? I would edit this stuff myself if I would know how, but could you make it possible to add Banzai etc. for Yari Samurai? Or could you tell me how to edit it, so I can edit it myself while new updates aren't done yet?

As of now, all sam know banzai, heroes know heroic assault, ashigaru know rapid advance, and I have given nagi, katana, and yari sam bows. I'm not sure I'll keep those /bow units, though. It depends how long battles last. I'm shooting for ~10 minute melee.

PS - The idea with battles is prolonged melee, so reserves can form other fronts. If units have a spread radius like they do in Rome 2, ashi will not hold formation, they'll "blob," and sam will only barely keep formation, because they fought nothing like legionaries. Sengoku battles were notoriously brutal brawls, resembling 1v1 mob scrapes. Chain of command was invariably lost in the disorder, so reserves were critical, and commanders only reluctantly commited to a front.

There's a famous account of Shingen or Katsuyori staring down the Uesugi for months before winter decided the outcome for them, and Takeda withdrew from Echigo's border. That was par for the course, when neither side had tactical advantage, or the armies were very big; good daimyo waited for the other to make their move, unless they had allies and reserves enough to swing around.
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; April 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: ps
    Shogun 2 Mods:

As of now, all sam know banzai, heroes know heroic assault, ashigaru know rapid advance, and I have given nagi, katana, and yari sam bows. I'm not sure I'll keep those /bow units, though. It depends how long battles last. I'm shooting for ~10 minute melee.
    Huh, how does it come my Yari Samurai can't use Banzai? I've unlocked the tech etc, but only my Katana Samurai can use Banzai, everyone else can't somehow. Don't know about Naginata Samurai tho, didn't use them.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast