Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what happened to eu4?

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default what happened to eu4?

So i loaded this game back up after a long time away from it, due to having a broken hand and it only requiring one hand to play.

dafuq is with some of the changes?

Japan is entirely broken. Suicidal wars 'for the emperor' ruined my first playthrough.
    Now playing as England i find theres strange maneuvering etc involved where forts appear to block movement and retake provinces around it. But most of all - Nations can come barrelling through my territories to get at other nations despite not having military access to my lands?

i war france with castille, portugal, naples and aragon on my side, but im not the primary guy, and we all know how lame ai are in deciding the terms so i made a separate peace that netted me 3 provinces and a load of dough off the frenchies. For some reason all the provinces the friendlies were getting were showing as conquered by me, so it reset them all sadly but no matter - just give castille access to my lands so they can go thru and hit the french with impunity. Oh wait.. not so.. france send 30ks worth of men through my land and start wrecking castille n co who, because they are several separate nations, are utterly useless at coordinating their troops.

Who the hell thought that was a good idea? absolutely ridiculous that because i grant access to my own friends and allies, that my NUMBER 1 ENEMY AND RIVAL can march through my lands willy nilly. Thats not historical. thats complete bs.

Game seems like a convoluted mess of perplexing features since i first purchased it at release. Pretty annoying - so annoying in fact that i came here to about it with one hand.
    Last edited by Carach; February 18, 2017 at 01:19 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: what happened to eu4?

Paradox turned evil about 2 years ago. Now they just release dlcs for the sake of releasing dlcs. There is some stuff that got introduced with one dlc and removed with another. Their games are not worth it anymore, especially with competition starting to show up.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Those are actually some of the few good changes. There is plenty of other stuff to complain about. If you're really losing as England... Git gud m8.

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    Paradox turned evil about 2 years ago. Now they just release dlcs for the sake of releasing dlcs. There is some stuff that got introduced with one dlc and removed with another. Their games are not worth it anymore, especially with competition starting to show up.
    Who would you consider the new competition showing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    Those are actually some of the few good changes. There is plenty of other stuff to complain about. If you're really losing as England... Git gud m8.
    Read again. I am not losing as England. I smashed the french, we took all but 2 provinces off them despite them having an apparently endless supply of manpower.

Despite it not even being my war though every province taken by allies showed as occupied by me. No idea why that is. This is not logical. As such, my separate peace entirely reset the progress my allies had made.

So thats retarded.

Shouldnt of mattered too much though as france had only one province with which to access spain - through the med. Coast with aragon. So i gave castille access to shorten their journey and ability to hit from another angle. As is my right. As it was in all EUs. As is historical.

Only to see france, -200 relation france, going across my lands because the access rules were seemingly changed in a patch/dlc that means giving access to one side in a war means giving access to all. How the does that make sense.

How is suicidal ai wars "for the emperor" in japan, that results in the entire peninsula becoming broken, a good feature?

How is the military access rule - somehow giving access to your greatest enemies - a good feature?

How is coring a 'territory' and then having to core it again just because you made it a state, a good feature?

How is being unable to move in logical directions because of a fort, that might even be under siege, a good feature

Another example of bs last night was that i seem to go through kings like hot dinners. Literally every few years i get a stability drop and a new king - its only 1500 and i think ive had 12 monarchs in 50 years. Only now ive ran out of heirs so stuck in a personal union under castille who wars burgandy in a succession war. This drags on to 1510 before 3 nations with 3 times the numbers finally start getting somewhere. Because burgandy n co have an endless suuply of manpower.

I lost all my manpower years ago, despite having a vastly larger base. They have been utterly smashed along with their allies at least 6 times. Im left with a 30k deficit in men but they make back like 5 times the numbers they should every month. Its ing ridiculous. And of course i cant pursue their army because it flees uninfluenced by my own trroop movements until well beyond forts - who i cannot maneuver beyond.

All of this stuff just makes the game tedious. Not fun. I used to spend hundreds of hours on paradox games. But this has become a bloated piece of shite

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    Who would you consider the new competition showing up?
    Realpolitiks for example. Granted it's a lite grand strategy but with time it can and will grow. And it has out of the gate something which paradox has been unable to do in 20 years, a believable simulation.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; February 19, 2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    Despite it not even being my war though every province taken by allies showed as occupied by me. No idea why that is. This is not logical. As such, my separate peace entirely reset the progress my allies had made.
    There's a thing called, "transfer of occupation." After an AI occupies a province you have a claim on, they usually transfer the occupation to you if they don't want the province. This is a good thing.

How is the military access rule - somehow giving access to your greatest enemies - a good feature?
    I think that's a gameplay change, not necessarily historical. I believe it was originally meant to stop players from strategically giving then removing access, in order to trap AI armies.

How is suicidal ai wars "for the emperor" in japan, that results in the entire peninsula becoming broken, a good feature?
    Dunno. But Paradox is working on overhauling Japan for the next DLC.

How is coring a 'territory' and then having to core it again just because you made it a state, a good feature?
    That's a change I don't like. But Paradox is placing a lot of emphasis on states/territories these days. Personally I prefer the old EU3 system, where you have to wait a few decades before a province is cored. Pressing a button to make a province a core part of your nation makes no sense.

How is being unable to move in logical directions because of a fort, that might even be under siege, a good feature
    I like it, personally. I prefer it over the old system of carpet-sieging every province with 1-stack armies. You'll get used to it.

If you wanna know the reasons for these changes, consider reading the Developer Diaries.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Developer_diaries

right now: war for independence after being stuck for 100 years in personal union under Castille.

only one province to go through (navara) - take it. move on to the fortified province next door one way, and the other fortified province owned by their lesser partner aragon. take the castillian fortified province and make some more gains along the coast before having to retreat due to megaballs and a random Papal state army tht has somehow, despite not having any mil access beside Burgundy, have entered Normandy. (i dunno.. probs the rubbish mil access feature giving them access through france somehow)

i kill these armies to return to spain again, the fortified province is now under siege by castille. I still have the province next door as well. Cant move to the fortified province next door to relieve it. Cannot move south one province because of a fort 2 provinces away. cannot move further into aragon because forts......

so a province that i could move into after taking the first province into castille, a province which i even occupy right now, is for some inexplicable reason now unaccessible despite being next ing door with no other fort for 2 provinces. A province i occupy right now. next door to another i occupy.

I literally cannot move a single province further..

so i sit there watching them retake a fort i took ages sieging, next door to my 30k stack. because i cant do to defend it.

complete bs. fed up with the game. good bye paradox
    Last edited by Carach; February 19, 2017 at 08:02 PM.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

The zone of control stuff has never really worked as intended unfortunately, once there are a few forts near each other it's a giant cluster.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? AI usually consolidates into two/three daimyos and the shogun in my games, they've never really done anything else because the AI is useless at naval invasions, in any version of the game.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    The zone of control stuff has never really worked as intended unfortunately, once there are a few forts near each other it's a giant cluster.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? AI usually consolidates into two/three daimyos and the shogun in my games, they've never really done anything else because the AI is useless at naval invasions, in any version of the game.
    there is a cassus belli factions get when they get like..4 provinces.. whereby they war Japan and automatically drag all their allies in to the war. Japan of course drags all its vassals (of which its everyone thats not allied with the aggressor)

you get no option to stay out of it. So AI ally will get 4 provinces, then randomly war japan for independence before its anywhere close enough to challenge the cheat-stack Japan has early-game. Thus you get wrecked, or at the very least spend years in a quagmire.

the zone of control thing is just outright broken. I march one way then cannot march back the exact same way despite no province changes of hands. Cant relieve a province i occupy when enemy siege it, despite being directly adjacent to it. Cannot track down enemy death stacks to inflict much needed extra damage, the retarded mil access rules also mean their death stacks somehow march a few hundred miles around to randomly appear in a location that should be entirely safe..

EU3 was great. EU4 was alright. But i think ive found the line now between engrossing fun and tedium. There's too many pointless features, needlessly complicating things, hidden panels too. theres just too much trash in the game now.

I was going to buy the space one when it released but that was inevitably buggy and had some strange rules - has that been fixed at all or no
    Last edited by Carach; February 20, 2017 at 07:57 AM.

Realpolitiks for example. Granted it's a lite grand strategy but with time it can and will grow. And it has out of the gate something which paradox has been unable to do in 20 years, a believable simulation.
    That's a bit thin ain't it, naming one smaller title which doesn't have too positive reception?

I mean, I'm not adverse of some good competition, but the only thing that instantly comes to my mind is Endless Space as alternative to Stellaris.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    there is a cassus belli factions get when they get like..4 provinces.. whereby they war Japan and automatically drag all their allies in to the war. Japan of course drags all its vassals (of which its everyone thats not allied with the aggressor)

you get no option to stay out of it. So AI ally will get 4 provinces, then randomly war japan for independence before its anywhere close enough to challenge the cheat-stack Japan has early-game. Thus you get wrecked, or at the very least spend years in a quagmire.
    Oh I see, I've never tried a slow game as Japan (you can unify in ~10 years as Hosokawa, no one forms a coalition). But even if the country gets united by the AI it never does anything
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Eu4 has slowly degenerated. They add features that make no sense and turn nations into gimmicks rather than try to simulate all nations with the same mechanisms. It was bad enough that you could just ethnically cleanse the entire planet by spending mana points but now you need to play within a bunch of broken systems (forts, diplomacy, etc).

In my Opinion, the EU series went downhill with Divine Wind and the Celestial Empire system. Paradox decided to aim for the map painters and not make the maintenance of large empires difficult. This could have easily been done through the slider system, populations, rebelliousness and efficiency but instead they went down the direction of mana points, nation-specific ideas and arbitrary handicaps.

After that they went Oh and tried to reverse course and created a bunch of convoluted nonsense.. and then just threw their hands up in the hair and continued down the casualization path.

Good old vic2 was the most believeable game than this over simplified board game that is eu4.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    Good old vic2 was the most believeable game than this over simplified board game that is eu4.
    Shame it had a broken economy and finance system.

Just to revive this discussion: their new 'big' dlc for Stellaris will be 19.99 $/€. Seems to be the new standard. I read the diaries for this, this has become a bad joke at this point. One of the core features, like government overhaul has already been done better by mods.

There's 3 more expansions coming after the next soon to be released expansion.

All in all I think EU4 has shaped up quite well. I don't mind the dlc as one it has financed the continuing development of the game and also it's not required to get it all. If you thought you did but couldn't you can always revert to an earlier patch.

Still eu4 is too simple and cartoon .Vic2 was not as broken as you think .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    Just to revive this discussion: their new 'big' dlc for Stellaris will be 19.99 $/€. Seems to be the new standard. I read the diaries for this, this has become a bad joke at this point. One of the core features, like government overhaul has already been done better by mods.
    Same happened with Eu4 and Common sense.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The inability to move through regions with forts is complete . I'm OK with being unable to siege them, but restricting movement makes no sense. I can just imagine this conversation:

King: "We need to move through Holstein to reach Denmark."
    General: "We cannot do that your majesty."
    King: "Why the hell not? We only need to capture the Danish capital to win this war and their lands are poorly defended!"
    General: "There is a fort in Holstein your majesty."
    King: "What exactly are you saying?"
    General: "We cannot march through regions with forts your majesty."
    King: "Why not?"
    General: "It's just not something we do your majesty. It's disrespectful to the defenders to go around forts."
    King: "So take the damned thing and move through!"
    General: "We cannot do that either your majesty. We do not have the manpower to take this fort."

This is the point where the general gets beheaded and replaced with one who is willing to march around forts.
    Last edited by Gallus; March 13, 2017 at 03:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast