Thread: Naval Battles

Default Naval Battles

Played a lot of Rome 2 naval battles, they never felt quite right. Now that they're functional in AE, I thought I'd give it a try, and simply said, they're amazing! I can't get enough!

Question for the dev's though: why is Carthage the only faction with Scorpion artillery ships? Is that intentional or a bug in my mod?

Default Re: Naval Battles

All factions have scorpion ships of some sort I believe... especially late Rome.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Just played it and i didn't see them.I'll check again later
    I'll reinstall to be sure

It's possible they aren't in your version actually, I've no idea last time anyone updated the main steam file.

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

Lots should have scorpions but i think its not labelled, its not considered their primary feature on some.
    AE Dev, mainly units

I don't really know what to make of naval battles yet. I played around in some casual custom battles and while I can see that there is a lot of potential I must admit that the bugged ship behavior puts me off a little bit. Now, I got Attila just for this mod and don't have any previous experience with naval battles in TW games. So it may be there's some tricks or workarounds to stupid ship behavior. For example (and most commonly), ships get stuck on other ships, move sideways, are uncontrollable after an engagement has started or when they are in the process of boarding another ship.

And this may be part of the bugged behavior, but I also noticed that I recently won a fight versus a vastly superior fleet with just two of the lightest ramming ships available by simply ramming every enemy ship until they sank (the enemy ships had defeated the rest of my fleet and were motionless and "in the process of boarding" one of my fleeing naval units). Not sure if that is just they way things are or if it wouldn't make sense for the ramming ship to take hull damage as well.

The visuals are so enticing; it almost looks too good to not work properly - and I'd guess that is largely your merit as awesome modders. However, I wonder how naval battles will play out in future release versions. From what I have seen so far they might be a somewhat frustrating experience. To my understanding, the bugged unit behavior is not easily changed (maybe not at all). But I thought I'd just put this out there and ask if there will be further updates to naval battles (which would make sense as there are currently some units that are practically free). And hope dies last

Anyway, any information on what is and what isn't reasonable to expect about what naval battles will be like is much appreciated! Thank you all for putting in so much time and (very skilled) work in making this mod the best it can be.

You're having problems with ships getting stuck in boarding actions? Odd that should be fixed in Attila. The ramming problem is known and I have tried to reduce the problem best I could.

Petellius in your naval preview you said most units would have 2 ships. Is that still a feature or did it get scrapped? It's not in the reals build right now.

Got scraped when we redid the naval stuff.