Thread: HELP: Editing unit/building stats on Steam version Medieval II

Default HELP: Editing unit/building stats on Steam version Medieval II

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question I was hoping some of you may be able to help me out on. I've recently downloaded Medieval II through Steam, unpacked the files to edit unit and building stats, but I've ran into a bit of an issue.

I added the line at the end of the medieval2.preferences.cfg file (the io thing, can't remember off top of my head), set it to read only as recommended, but the game just would not launch afterwards (no error messages, no nothing, just no launch). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game; no joy. So I've completely uninstalled Steam, and I'm going through the whole process again from scratch, just in case it's something I botched in the edit.

The only thing I can think of is I may have made an error in editing the unit/building stats, so my question is this:

Can you edit which factions can access certain units? As an example, only portugal and spain can access the grand carrack in the vanilla version of the game, but I added england and france to faction ownership of the grand carrack, among others. Would england and france then be able to access the grand carrack, or would it cause it to not open altogether?

Is there an upper limit to how many agents you can recruit from certain buildings? I increased the number of agents recruited by one; so 2 priests for a church instead of one. I did the same thing with trade fleets; 3 fleets to a port instead of 2 and that kind of thing. Should that cause any issues, or should it be totally fine?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: HELP: Editing unit/building stats on Steam version Medieval II

Also, as a further question: can you add attributes to units that would not normally have such attributes? As an example, can you give peasant archers the ability to deploy stakes, simply by writing it into the unit attributes in the descr_unit.txt file?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: HELP: Editing unit/building stats on Steam version Medieval II

If you want to try your hand at modding the game then install my mode set up. Then copy the files you want to mod into it unless they exist already. Saves you a lot of heart aches.

medieval2.preferences.cfg file - all you had to do was to delete the file, it would have generated again with the default values

edit which factions can access certain units - check this tutorial to get an idea what all the stuff means

increasing recruiting numbers - for agents this will mean the number of agents possible per existing build, for units it will mean how many can max be in the pool. You still can only recruit one per turn per settlement.