Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dublin, seat of royal authority in Ireland

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Dublin, seat of royal authority in Ireland

Provincial Bonuses Dublin:
    Centre of English Ireland: The base of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, much of that position's legitimacy rests upon the continued influence over Dublin, Ireland's largest city. To be considered the legitimate overlord of Ireland, the English crown must keep hold of Dublin. Should it fall, Ireland would certainly descend into rebellion.

Dublin Castle:
    Built in 1204 by King John, Dublin Castle now stands as an icon of English might on the Emerald Isle and is the official residence of the Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland, making it the Lordship's administrative center. It is shielded not only by great walls which are connected to the rest of Dublin's defenses, but also the River Poddle along two of its sides. +4 Siege rolls, -4 Raid rolls, +5% income.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; March 26, 2017 at 12:24 PM.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Dublin, seat of royal authority in Ireland

A party arrives from the south, late for the parliament that had been called, they bore the livery of the Fitzgeralds of Desmond. At the head of the party was Gerald Fitzgerald, the elderly Earl of Desmond. His small party of Norman's were dressed in Irish fashion, proud and pompous they rode for the crown jewel of Ireland.

On the south approach, the Fitzgeralds of Desmond must've come via Wexford and Ormond and then through Carlow, avoiding their mortal enemies in coastal Leinster - the O'Byrne's, the Kavanagh's, and the O'Toole's (who had slaughtered a whole few hundred of settlers in 1209). Once inside the Pale, entering via the lands of the Fitzgeralds of Kildare, the southern Fitzgeralds would travel through less than twenty miles of what was truly English territory - first came the manorial, developed farmlands owned by Locke, de Lacy, Fitzwilliam, de la Salle, Aylmer, Butler, Tyrell, Barnewall, Fitzroy, and so forth; They were all well defended - nothing unusual to Desmond - with high walls around the homesteads and with watchtowers overlooking the village enclosures. Then came the the 'liberties' - suburbs of Dublin with their own jurisdictions. These grew in size and prosperity as you grew closer to the city walls, but as they stood outside the walls, it was obvious how little the English burghers cared for the unprotected parts of their colony.

At last you would pass under the southern gates - the castle stood on the southeastern corner of the city, visible - two cathedral towers heralding the city for miles back. Two great banners the length of three grown men hung from these gates - showing the coat of arms of King Richard II: the banner on the left held a golden cross on a blue field, circled by four little golden birds. The banner on the right was quartered with golden lillies of France of a blue field and the three golden leopards of England, Normandy, and Aquitaine on a red field. This was a city of the King of England, and its inhabitants wanted all its enemies to know.

Dublin's streets were apparently filled with more visitors than usual, as all the manors throughout the Pale had been emptied of their owners to attend the Parliament. The Earl of Desmond's men drew many eyes for their native Gaelic attire - something illegal for men loyal to the King to adorn. No man on those streets would do a thing about it, of course.

As soon as the Earl of Desmond is settled, a footman wearing a red overcloak arrives to inform him that the Deputy Lord Lieutenant, Sir Thomas Mortimer, would ask that the Earl of Desmond come speak with him in the great hall in the castle - before parliament is convened in the following days. The footman also subtly hints that it would be easier in general if the Earl of Desmond changed into attire that wasn't in defiance of particular laws when he entered Dublin Castle and when he entered parliament later on.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; February 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM.

The Earl of Desmond dismissed the incosiquential foot soldier. The Earldom of Desmond lied on the edge of the crown's authority, in some ways it lies beyond the crowns authority. The Norman elite had been taken on a distinctly Irish tint in the Earldom from centuries of exposure to the native celts, the crowns attempts to bring them back into the fold largely failing.

All the same Fitzgerald changed into more acceptable English styled garb, before moving to the Keep for their discussions with Sir Mortimer.

The castle was an enclosed part of the city almost, a box connected to the city walls by nature of an extra layer of walls mirroring the corner. A great hall stood ajar in a rectangle from one of these walls while the muddy courtyard within the box of walls had much smaller buildings huddle throughout - stables, a barracks, a smith, and a whole host of small, wealthy houses that seemed to be offices of some sort.

The great hall though was shaped like a chapel without a steeple, and over its front doors was carved the three leopards of Richard the Lionheart. Inside was first of course the hall itself, but beyond the far door could be imagined quarters fit for the king himself if he would indeed choose to visit. The rectangular courtroom was long and narrow for a parliament, but it was only ever minor nobles of the Pale who seemed to attend regularly.

Perhaps that was why the king's lieutenant and castellan of Dublin wanted to meet with the Earl of Desmond, for his presence had been a surprise.

Sir Thomas Mortimer met the Earl here, surrounded by a handful of wealthy townsfolk who were talking over some preparatory details. The bastard of March, as he was sometimes referred to, turned and gave the Irish Earl a welcoming salute of sorts, waving his right hand through the air outwards.

"Welcome to Dublin, Earl Desmond," Sir Thomas greeted, his marcher accent unsubtle.

This bastard Mortimer had been effectively the viceroy of Ireland before, back in 1382, six years past. His brother Edmund had been the 3rd Earl of March and, by right of his wife, 5th Earl of March, and had been Lord Lieutenant for two years, until dying near Cork while trying subdue some chieftains of Munster. Edmund's young son Roger, the current Earl of March and Ulster, had been named his successor and Thomas had been made his acting representative. It was a similar case now, except that Roger was not even in Ireland this time. This, despite that last time the Mortimers had been replaced by demands that the Lord Lieutenant not be an absent child.

And welcomed I feel, though perhaps it is I who should be welcoming you to this spit of land? Fitzgerald lazily returned Mortimer's gesture, speaking fluidly with a heavy Gaelic accent weighing on every word that passed his lips. So you're the new Lord Lieutenant his royal highness has sent to oversee our isle? The earl of Desmond questioned cheerfully. The earl was old, his skin wrinkled and the hairs upon his head and those which framed his face were casually greying. There was a softness to his green eyes, though at the same time a discomfort - Gearóid Iarla was not accustomed to wearing this English dress.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; February 16, 2017 at 05:58 PM.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

A rider bearing Arundel colours arrives to Dublin, seeking out Mortimer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    And welcomed I feel, though perhaps it is I who should be welcoming you to this spit of land? Fitzgerald lazily returned Mortimer's gesture, speaking fluidly with a heavy Gaelic accent weighing on every word that passed his lips. So you're the new Lord Lieutenant his royal highness has sent to oversee our isle? The earl of Desmond questioned cheerfully. The earl was old, his skin wrinkled and the hairs upon his head and those which framed his face were casually greying. There was a softness to his green eyes, though at the same time a discomfort - Gearóid Iarla was not accustomed to wearing this English dress.
    [OOC: At this point we know for a certainty that the parliament doesn't matter at all and that Mortimer is about to lose Dublin, but I would like to continue this interaction if you don't mind. We can just say that the Parliament did happen but that it was just a -show as usual and was just mostly Pale nobles voicing grievances to the LL. I guess we can just consider *this* conversation to be what Fitzgerald was really in Dublin for?]

"Indeed," the marcher said with a smirk.
    "Though I do not think I am as welcome with the other lords of the island as I am apparently with you."

Mortimer paused to casually wave off some burghers who had been attending to some parchments with him, and they took the work and moved elsewhere, farther down the hall. A few retainers remained, watching the two lords converse with uninterested eyes.

"Eh," Thomas continued, coming closer, "It wouldn't be entirely true to say that the king is the one who appointed me. I am sure you have heard of Gloucester's and Bolingbroke's actions in Parliament this past year."

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    A rider bearing Arundel colours arrives to Dublin, seeking out Mortimer.
    He is found in the great hall of the castle, curious eyes watching the messenger

The earl of Desmond was a good natured fellow, the kind of man to order an excecution and toast to one's health in the same breath. Never thought the bickering lords of Ireland would ever find anything to agree on, but than you came along. He japed with a chuckle. Aye, I've heard of troubles in London. He agreed dismissively. None of my business, truth be told. I worry more about the clans on my border than the King on his high throne. He scratched at his chin hoping to change topics. Now do tell, what is it you hope to accomplish here in Ireland?

Last edited by Pericles of Athens; February 17, 2017 at 11:14 PM.

"The King has arrested the Lords Appellant" the messenger announces gravely. "My Lord of Arundel has escaped and raised arms to rescue them - for he suspects the King may order their execution. He requests two things of you, my Lord, firstly he asks for all information you may have on Royalist troops in Ireland, and secondly he asks you to leave this post - which the King has already removed you from - and to join his forces in order to liberate the rest of the Lords Appellant."

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    The earl of Desmond was a good natured fellow, the kind of man to order an excecution and toast to one's health in the same breath. Never thought the bickering lords of Ireland would ever find anything to agree on, but than you came along. He japed with a chuckle. Aye, I've heard of troubles in London. He agreed dismissively. None of my business, truth be told. I worry more about the clans on my border than the King on his high throne. He scratched at his chin hoping to change topics. Now do tell, what is it you hope to accomplish here in Ireland?
    "Some semblance of order and peace would be a nice change," sir Thomas said, with an unsure expression, clearly thinking on the answer. "My nephew is Earl of Ulster, but most of Ulster has been lost to the squatting Irish since before the Statutes of Kilkenny." Which had been put in place by the young Earl of Ulster's grandfather and predecessor, Lionel of Antwerp.

OOC: I honestly have no idea, this Mortimer isn't an idealistic "big ideas" type person, they just sorta put him in charge because his nephew is a big time landholder.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    "The King has arrested the Lords Appellant" the messenger announces gravely. "My Lord of Arundel has escaped and raised arms to rescue them - for he suspects the King may order their execution. He requests two things of you, my Lord, firstly he asks for all information you may have on Royalist troops in Ireland, and secondly he asks you to leave this post - which the King has already removed you from - and to join his forces in order to liberate the rest of the Lords Appellant."
    "An army marches on Dublin, as we speak, as it happens," sir Thomas frowned. He was remarkably bothered by this information but was just as likely to dismiss much of it in disbelief. "Tell Richard I would help him, for that I were not defending my own charge."

The messenger nodded quietly. "With the greatest respect, sir, you are thought of as an Appellant and are regarded as the murderer of Molineux - that army is unlikely to do much damage, they are servants of the King. No doubt they intend to drag you forwards to face charges of treason as well - a fate my Lord of Arundel is attempting to prevent, for all Lord Appellant. Surely it is better to preserve your life and your force and fight a battle that can be won - and will certainly provide you with freedom.?"

"Perhaps." Mortimer said, shifting his weight.
    "Who stands with Arundel?"

The messenger shifted uneasily. "Lord Arundel stands with himself and some two and a half thousand good troops - as well as the heavy financial backing of a Genoese banker."

Quote Originally Posted by Vilgefortz of Roggeveen View Post
    "Some semblance of order and peace would be a nice change," sir Thomas said, with an unsure expression, clearly thinking on the answer. "My nephew is Earl of Ulster, but most of Ulster has been lost to the squatting Irish since before the Statutes of Kilkenny." Which had been put in place by the young Earl of Ulster's grandfather and predecessor, Lionel of Antwerp.
    Indeed, ruling Irishmen is like herding cats. He pondered. My brother goes to speak with the "Duke" of Ireland.. I do believe he intends to march against you. My question is perhaps best put as, why should the men of Desmond not march against the Pale?

@Sky
    That banker isn't getting his money back, I suspect.
    "And the other Lords Appellant are all imprisoned?"

@Perry
    The bastard of March was wide-eyed.
    "So it's true then - De Vere is alive and well..."

Thomas paused long and ponderously. The Earl of Desmond could see him take in this information, see him consider what must be done.

"How many men does he bring? De Vere? Can you say?"
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; February 19, 2017 at 03:08 PM.

Fitzgerald pondered a moment. Over a thousand, most like. Many more if the Butlers join his cause. He gave Mortimer time, time for the gravity of the situation to sink in.

"And led by de Vere?" he asked, repeating himself rhetorically. A hang grasped at his chin.
    "I cannot defend Dublin as it is," he thought aloud.

Mortimer then looked back at FitzGerald.
    "Tell me of your brother."

Indeed you cannot, though I dare say the Butlers are not the only men of power in Ireland. He thought on his kindred a moment. A brute of a man, quiet unlike myself.. or so I'd hope. He smiled a slight. An unloveable sort in court, too brash and hot headed, but a capable leader of men when the time for battle comes.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; February 19, 2017 at 07:58 PM.

"I am getting the inkling the FitzGeralds of Desmond want something." Mortimer said, being frank.
    "But I can't know if I can get it if I don't know what it is."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast