Thread: Strange watchtower placement CTD

Default Strange watchtower placement CTD

I'm having a problem with placing watchtowers, I can place them with say England, and they are visible and everything is fine, but when I place in another faction's territory and scroll over or near that watchtower on the strat map I get CTD with no log report. Can this be culture .cas related? I am using same watchtower model for all cultures present in game.. I've tried changing map ground_types to basic wilderness etc, and they are placed on basic map_height as well, still get the crash. Can't seem to find any thread or response to this specific problem. May be a simple problem, hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Strange watchtower placement CTD

Are you pre-placing them in descr_strat? If so make sure the co-ordinate is actually in the region the watch tower is supposed to be in. Code example from my 'Stone Forts' tutorial:

Code:
    region Region_Name
    farming_level 4
    famine_threat 1
    ;fort    68 103 me_fort_a culture middle_eastern
    ;fort    68 103 me_fort_a culture middle_eastern
    ;fort    68 103 stone_fort_a culture northern_european
    ;fort    68 103 stone_fort_b culture northern_european
    ;fort    68 103 stone_fort_c culture northern_european
    ;fort    68 103 stone_fort_d culture northern_european
    :fort    68 103 knightly_order_fort_b culture northern_european

watchtower     66 27
    The watchtower model is defined in decr_cultures (example southern_european culture), make sure that custom models are properly entered and in their correct folders. I believe the last part of the entry has to do with the 'foundation' texture.
    Code:
    watchtower            data/models_strat/residences/SE_watchtower.CAS,                    watchtower_roman

I've made extra sure they are properly placed in decr_strat, I use show_cursorstat per placement, the map loads but it's when I go near the watchtower I get CTD. I will check that foundation texture, weird though as each culture uses the same .CAS and "watchtower_roman", I place them for England no problem, but another faction doesn't work.. Edit: I've uploaded images to give a better example. Notice the small island with the watchtower
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    , I'm playing as Scotland.. Then I scroll the map away, but on re-approach... CTD
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I've tried different locations, still CTD.
    Last edited by Zantorian; February 14, 2017 at 02:12 PM.

Blog Entries

This should be a problem a with the CAS model - more precise the entry in descr_cultures. Unless the crashing towers belong to the same culture as england...
    Have you tried copying the working entry for england in descr_cultures (northern_european?) to the other cultures? The screenshots show different factions, hence my hope this might be the reason.

Ahh yes, I feared the descr_cultures file.. I will tinker with it tomorrow, but it's true the factions in which I placed the towers are not "english" or in my game southern_european.. They are northern_euro, each entry is spot on the same (copy pasted in place).. I fear it may be some culture entries I removed ex; the village settlement of eastern_european, or mesoamerican if that culture was not using it, or not even present, as to free up "space" for custom models as to not lose any shadows.. I will play around with my watchtower model/put back in the original for testing,, and put back in all entries even under cultures that are not even in the game.. see if i still get the crash..

Blog Entries

I came across this issue in a mod where a scroll crash was very persistent. Turned out it was caused by a settlement level entry for a custom CAS file: a simple spelling mistake of the file name. Needless to say that it took hours to pinpoint that mistake...

It seems to have been the watchtower model itself and not an entry in descr_cultures in my particular case.. On re-conversion of the model i had about 20 groups that were using the same texture and 20 of the same texture in materials section.. I regrouped all groups using same textures, and kept only two material "groups".. Welded the model, Re-converted and re-named the file as to not confuse with vanilla.. Problem seems to have been solved, has not crashed yet, with a few different factions used.. Thank you once again for the help, it saves me lots of time and hair from scratching it off!

Blog Entries