Thread: Excommunication

JakkoUK's Avatar Foederatus

Default Excommunication

What it is, I have just recently got back into playing Medieval 2.. with my beloved Stainless steel mod. I have started up a campaign playing as England and about 20 turns in Scotland declared war on me. Obviously for such an insult I wanted to march into Scotland with my armies and destroy the northern threat for such a declaration. However it seems the Pope wasn't too in-favor of me, a fellow Catholic, attacking another fellow Catholic and said if I don't cease hostilities I will be excommunicated. So I was thinking how can I destroy these Scots without being excommunicated? I tried leaving York Un-garrisoned, in the hope to moist their greedy lips and make themselves get excommunicated, however it seems to the Pope it is okay for Scotland to attack. As the next turn they took York and was still in good spirits with the Pope.

Can anyone help me with this problem? It's a long time since I've played Medieval 2 and must have forgotten how I got around this problem back then!
    Last edited by JakkoUK; May 21, 2014 at 02:43 PM.

Default Re: Excommunication

Well, first of all, if you are playing Stainless Steel, remember that if you have a lot of favour points (10, 9, 8 stars, etc.) with the Pope, you will actually NOT get excommunicated after breaking the ceasefire mission. You will simply lose one or two stars. You will only get excommunicated when your papal favour is rather low and once you break a ceasefire demand for the 3rd or 4th time (and that's why the Scots aren't getting excommunicated immediately as they attack you).

If you have few favour points, then just protect your borders* and wait until the mission ends. Train some priests, build churches... be a good Christian . Once you boost your favour with the Pope, you'll be able to take at least a few settlements before you're threatened with excommunication again.

*note that you won't break the papal ceasefire mission when you attack an enemy unit on your territory.

Cheers.

JakkoUK's Avatar Foederatus

Thanks for the reply and the help. Didn't realize it was as simple as that, I was just too scared of attacking and feeling the wrath of Christendom!

And if you do get excommunicated ...

Don’t forget to have an assassin..ahem...”loitering”...around the Vatican...
    After all, these are perilous times, your Eminence,...and accidents can happen...

Or...if you have a weak, expendable Faction leader, you can always stick him on a cheap cog and send him off to fight pirates...
    Lost at sea?...what a shame..but at least the nation is reconciled with Your Holiness again...
    Last edited by Voice of Treason; May 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: TWC slow posting

Fishers of Men's Avatar Laetus

I had the same problems with excommunication, even when the Scots attacked me first. When I counter attacked and invaded Scotland, the Pope warned me to cease hostilities NOW. I had already taken Edinburgh by this point and was not going to give it back. What I had forgotten was that a Papal election was held a year earlier and the new Pope elected was the Bishop of Scotland. My Papal standing had dropped four levels in one turn.

Sorry, wrong thread.
    Last edited by koray; March 01, 2020 at 05:11 AM.

My name is: Wick; John Wick. " Excommunicado-this, El Papum!"

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

For anyone still interested in some insight on How to deal with the Pope, click the highlighted part.