Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Lancastrian Estates

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: The Lancastrian Estates

Humphrey blinks for a moment. Did his uncle just end his wardship over the Lord Buckingham?

After almost a decade of living under the roof of the Duke of Lancaster, once Lord Hereford, Humphrey was finally allowed to go home. He was allowed to be his own man, to be a lord, to be what he was meant to be. His eyes then began to look around the room they were in, taking in the sight of Kenilworth's interior from where he stood. Everything seemed so much smaller than when he was a boy. Then his gaze returned to Bolingbroke.

I have a feeling Henry won't be happy with me having to leave though. He does view me as a brother after all.

Buckingham couldn't help but smile at his own remark. Then he bowed his head, deeply, to Lord Lancaster.

I will never forget what you have done for me, Uncle. However, I do not think I should return to Pleshley just yet.

He rises and looks directly at Lancaster.

I need to first visit my good cousin, His Majesty, and offer him my oath of fealty as the Earl of Buckingham and Essex. Would you like to come with me to London perhaps?
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

"I had no intention for us to leave immediately." Henry laughed. Perhaps Buckingham had taken him too literally.

"But yes, in the next few days. Let us go to London. As much as I detest that city, it is necessary." The Duke acquiesced. Humphrey would be an adult, a man grown, and it seemed that nigh on a decade had passed within the blink of an eye.

"And then, the marriage." He seemed hesitant, as if at a loss to the location. "The chapel here could suffice. To allow everyone to say their goodbyes." Henry would take it hard, especially. He and Humphrey had been particularly close, out of all the Duke's children.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Humphrey was pleased to finally become his own man. It would be a few days till that happened and he was free to return to Pleshley, but the time had finally arrived.

Buckingham sighs deeply, knowing he would miss Kenilworth and the company of his relatives, but it was time for him to grow up and make his living in the realm.

Thank you again for everything. I am probably going to keep saying that till I finally leave, but still, I don't think those words are enough to show my thanks.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Some day the earl of Westmorland arrives at Kenilworth and asks for an audience having an interesting proposal.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Humphrey was pleased to finally become his own man. It would be a few days till that happened and he was free to return to Pleshley, but the time had finally arrived.

Buckingham sighs deeply, knowing he would miss Kenilworth and the company of his relatives, but it was time for him to grow up and make his living in the realm.

Thank you again for everything. I am probably going to keep saying that till I finally leave, but still, I don't think those words are enough to show my thanks.
    "Bah. It is nothing." The Duke grinned in reply. "You're family twice over."

If a man betrayed his blood, then he was the lowest of the low. A kinslayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Caterina Sforza View Post
    Some day the earl of Westmorland arrives at Kenilworth and asks for an audience having an interesting proposal.
    Westmorland is admitted. Bolingbroke was wary of the man from their last meeting, but nonetheless allowed the Earl to be led into the main hall of Kenilworth castle.

Westmorland paid his necessary respects to the duke before speaking up. My Lord Lancaster, we have heard about you having a noble half sister that is still unmarried, the Lady Joan Beaufort? he asked, Westmorland just got his annulment from Avignon and was clearly aiming for Joan Beaufort.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

So, Neville wanted to marry his sister. Perhaps the Earl of Westmorland had been serious after all.

"The lady Joan is indeed unmarried." Replied Lancaster, plainly, leaning on one of the arms of his chair. ​"But I was under the impression you were married, Lord Neville. To a certain lady Stafford."

The marriage to the Lady Stafford has been annulled by the pope, My Lord, i have given her one of my castle's to retire in and the custody of our children to make up for it. He said, though he didn't loved her at all it would be a terrible thought to separate a mother and her children. But we men can not run from our responsibilities to marry, my Lord, i would be eager to marry the noble lady Joan if by your permission. he said.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"I see," Lancaster nodded. It was polite, nay, expected, to not pry into another's private business. "Well then, I give you permission to begin courtship of my sister, Lord Neville, as I presume that is what you seek."

I would be honored to court thee noble sister, My lord. Westmorland said with a smile. With the recent incident with the king it would perhaps be wise to have an ally in Lord Lancaster.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"Then you may meet." Dismissively, Henry gestured to a servant to fetch Joan. "Stay for lunch with us, lord Neville, and I shall introduce you."

Sure enough, midday came round, and Neville would join Henry and his family for luncheon within a dining hall. It was smaller than the vast room reserved for grander occasions, but was perhaps as large as the main dining chamber of most castles. Henry sat alongside his wife, his children occupying the other end of the table. Sir Thomas Beaufort was also there, the man who would, in time, become Neville's nephew by marriage, for he was to marry Lord Furnival's eldest daughter. Sat opposite Ralph was Joan herself. Like her siblings (both half and full blooded) she was slender, dark haired, dark eyed, and pale of complexion. They were introduced, of course, by the Duke, but Joan seemed indifferent, cautious, towards this man she had never met before. To Ralph, she would seem quiet and subdued (which she was not, normally), for this had been sprung upon her relatively swiftly. It was not lost upon her that her half-brother wished her gone, as soon as possible; he didn't wish to house a spinster, was what he had said.

The conversation started as amicable small talk, and then threatened to grow awkward... Thankfully, Henry of Monmouth, Lancaster's eldest son, had asked about the Scots, which had gone some way to break the ice as the table descended into spirited debate.

"You've seen them up close, then, Lord Neville?"
    Asked Thomas Beaufort, directly, eyes filled with youthful curiosity. Both his brothers had made something of themselves, whilst he had, for now, remained cooped up in Kenilworth. Joan poked at her food, pretending to be pre-occupied as she listened.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; April 14, 2017 at 04:07 PM.

I would be honored to lunch with thou and thyne noble sister. Westmorland said, anxiously to meet Joan.

--------------------

Soon enough midday came round and Westmorland joined lunch with himself just sitting opposite Joan herself, he smiled alot to her to comfort her, she seemed shy and quiet to Westmorland, undoubtedly because of her guest. Then he noticed Thomas Beaufort, soon enough he would marry Margaret neville, eldest daughter of Thomas and heiress to the Furnival lands. Then Lancaster's son Henry broke the ice by talking about the Scot's, the same Scots who dared to raid some manors in his northern lands.

Not yet, but i received disturbing reports of Scottish raids in good English lands, if they raid again it might be necessary to intervene, i have send an army to the border. Westmorland said to Henry, Joan seemed to occupy herself with her food in the meanwhile, Westmorland then fixed his gaze on her. My Lady, i have a gift for thee. he brought out a golden necklace from his satchel and gave it to her. A humble gift from man to woman. Westmorland said, he hoped she showed interest atleast.

Veritas Temporis Filia

"Did you steal it from a Scot, on some daring raid?" She giggled, in mockery of her brother's enthusiasm, who responded with a bemused frown. Delicately, she took the gift from Westmorland, and held it up as if to inspect it. Bolingbroke was impressed - Ralph had come prepared.

"I thank you, my lord, but I'll need some help putting it on." The tone was as whimsical as her smile, gaze indicating the fastening of the metal.

Ofcourse, My lady, i would be honored. He helped to put the necklace around her neck, Westmorland's fingers for a moment softly touching Joan's skin. The necklace suits you very well, My lady, its beauty only surpassed by theeself. He said before whispering something in her ear. My Lady, thou shalt be spoiled with many more gifts if thou wants. he quietly said in her ear. Westmorland was pleased with her interest and enthusiasm, she appeared to be much more lively and enthusiastic than Margaret Stafford who was boring at times.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"You are too kind, my lord." She gave a wry smile, pretending not to notice the Earl's warm hand brush over cold skin. Thomas looked down into his food, a little put off.

"Please, return to your seat. I would look at you whilst we speak, Lord."
    Joan asked of him, innocently, pretending to take no notice of his whispering. Westmorland was eager, apparently.

Ofcourse My Lady, i will respect thyne request. Westmorland took his seat back sitting opposite Joan. There was an awkward silence for a moment before Westmorland took back up the conversation. What do thou think about the title countess of Westmorland, My lady? he rhetorically asked with a smile.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"It suits, I think." Joan replied, with a flattering smile.

"You have children, my lord, don't you?" She then asked, curious. He'd terminated his first marriage, and thus one had to wonder if this man was as charming as he apparently seemed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post
    "
    "A year shy of ten."
    Bolingbroke replied, pleased that the Courtenay knight had come to agree. "Too young yet, of course, but in a few years she'll be ready to marry." All had to do their duty. The Courtenay boy, Edward, had seemed kind enough at Ludlow. He could think of worse husbands. Much worse.
    "Of course, my nephew is twelve this year, so perhaps in either four or five years time the two could be wed if that is agreeable to you, your grace." Hugh takes another piece of bread.

"Naturally." Lancaster's head inclined slightly. "And of course, the dowry shall reflect the bride's worth. You do not need to fear on that account."

Hugh takes a bite of the piece of bread, and then nods. "Of course, your grace."

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast