Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tower of London

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Tower of London

Arundel waves a hand almost idly. "Nothing Kingdom breaking, Thomas, just some business. BUt before we get to that, I was in Hampshire recently - I stopped in to see Alice - I must say the baby look fine and healthy. Yet another to add to you brood!

Richard looks around the bustling castle curiously - knowing it ran efficiently due to the efforts of Holland. "Aside from that, I'd like to buy your lands in Surrey at Reigate for around £600 perhaps?

There is also the fact I'd like to take on young Roger Mortimer and your eldest son as squires."

"Yes, your sister is fine and kicking, our marriage has been blissful to date"

He looked at Arundel with awe, though.

"I don't need coin. I only recently came to posses my mother's lands, I would never sell those lands, plus our interests in Surrey are only growing"

He crossed arms.

"Moreso, March is my ward, if he has to serve someone is me. And Thomas is my son, I'd rather have him be taught by someone of our household"

The servant offered him the water jar.

"All your requests are denied, I'm afraid"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Thomas of Woodstock and the Earl of Warwick are placed into separate lodgings. Cells wouldn't be an accurate term, as neither lack the comfort befitting such high born prisoners. Woodstock, however, is forbidden to have any quill, paper, parchment or books and both his visits and food are carefully watched. Warwick enjoys a larger degree of freedom, as his crimes were less grievous.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    "Yes, your sister is fine and kicking, our marriage has been blissful to date"

He looked at Arundel with awe, though.

"I don't need coin. I only recently came to posses my mother's lands, I would never sell those lands, plus our interests in Surrey are only growing"

He crossed arms.

"Moreso, March is my ward, if he has to serve someone is me. And Thomas is my son, I'd rather have him be taught by someone of our household"

The servant offered him the water jar.

"All your requests are denied, I'm afraid"
    Arundel shrugged. "That's fair enough, it was worth a try - not that I expected it to work."

The Earl of Sussex looked about again. "Are you well, Thomas? It has been a long time since we last spoke. Have you settled into your role in the Tower well?"

"Of course, my lodgings are regal, nothing to envy the old Gaunt's palace at the Thames"

Said Arundel.

"Managing it, though, takes a good deal of my time: fortunately my wife is diligent at running the household in my absence"

John of Gaunt arrives at the Tower of London, accompanied by his son and namesake, John Beaufort, and a small entourage of retainers clad in Lancastrian colours. They request admittance; the Duke of Lancaster wishing to speak with the Constable on some matter of import.

Thomas Holland was in prayer, on his kneees, in the Tower's small chappel.

Gaunt and Beaufort remained silent, standing a distance away, allowing the Earl to finish his prayer rather than disturbing him.

"Ave Maria Gratia plena..."

Muttered the earl in low voice. After few moments he does the sign of the cross and raises from his knees.

"Amen"

He turns to face Lancaster with a short bow. He wears crimson robes, richly embroidered and lined with fur.

"My Lord, what brings you here?"

"Kent." Lancaster inclined his head, whilst his eldest bastard son executed a bow from the waist. "I heard you remained uninvolved with this 'Appellant' debacle. A wise move, all things considered; too much blood has been shed." Gaunt was acutely aware that Holland's brother in law Arundel was rampaging across the Kingdom, the Earl having attempted to lay siege to his own seat at Kenilworth before skulking away south. Holland had by all accounts remained aloof whilst Woodstock effectively took control of London, and remained just that as the Duke then subsequently and rather spectacularly fell from power.

"I would rather not involve myself with such squabbles, sire. I could not, in good faith, raise a hand against my brother-in-law... until he raised his against my own kin"

Said Kent. The stout man talked with arms on hips. He was fleshy and his hands were broad and strong. A formidable man, except he wasn't tall, precisely.

"I was inclined to plead clemency for them to His Majesty, though I fear Arundel is too far gone for such a thing to succeed." Lancaster grimaced. He had genuinely feared that Arundel might take Kenilworth; not due to the funds he would lose, but because it would be a serious blow to his prestige and standing. "Indeed, Woodstock has a trial in Parliament, for the rule of law must always prevail. It was a travesty that dear Burley felt the axe without being afforded the same dignity."

"Indeed. My brother Arundel is lost, without avail. The king is not going to spare him, the attainder will not get reversed"

Thomas knew his half-brother, and Richard was vindictive, he wouldn't forget such an offense.

"I will eagerly await the trial, my Lord. I do not wish an unnecessary bloodshed, all this affair disgusted me greatly, from the start"

Holland could still reap the benefits, though.

"I believe these matters did not bring Your Grace here, however"

"Perceptive, indeed." Lancaster chuckled, and glanced momentarily at his son, who stood by patiently. Beaufort had begun to fill out, making the transition from a gangly youth to a robust man. "My son approaches manhood, and every man needs a wife, or so the priests tell me." Kent was virile, with many children. Too many, in John's opinion. Too easy to forget the damned names... "To put it bluntly, I'd like to request for him the hand of one of your lordship's fair daughters."

"How old is your son, my lord?"

Said Thomas, genuinely surprised.

"And, I must say, your he has the taint of bastardry. To put it buntly: he stands to inherit no lands or titles"

He wasn't enticed with such a proposal, yes he could be Gaunt's son, but an illegitimate one: God knows what would happen with him once Gaunt died. Often, baseborn sons are discarded or sink into obscurity once the father is gone for good.

"What would one of my fair daughters do when your Lordship, God preserve your health, finally yield your soul?"

"Seventeen." Gaunt curtly replied, perhaps a little offended by Holland's statement. The Duke became quite prickly when provoked, and tried hard in this instance to hold his tongue; he loved Katherine and their children dearly. "His Majesty favours my son, a royal cousin. Bastardy can be washed away, and a mere knight can become a great landowner in a stroke." The Hollands themselves were only minor, until one found himself in Joan of Kent's bed. "So your lordship may suddenly find she is married to a wealthy peer, if I get my way." ​And Gaunt often got his way.

"If you get your way, sire"

Said Holland slowly, like weighting every word. He smiled, a little.

"I will only marry a daughter of mine to man with prospects. Your Lordship has to ensure that your son here has lands to call his own; enough to maintain his betrothed properly"

His eyes were studying Gaunt and the boy carefully.

"I have no further complains to such a match"

"I don't think I shall have any problems getting my way, your lordship." Responded the Duke, who had folded his arms. Such was the way of politics, though he felt akin to some commoner bargaining in such a manner. "Good. It can be properly arranged when my son has estates to call his own, as you have requested." Beaufort himself looked flustered and embarrassed; the Duke's son was not used to such a damning analysis of his character, least of all from such an established peer as Richard's own brother.

"Good, good"

Thomas Holland had a hard time granting anyone anything. Must have been a result of having little lands to call his own and living under his kindred's shadow for such a long time. Or maybe he was just too cautious. Or both.

"When such time arrives, I will gladly hand a daughter of mine to thine son"

He scratched his chin, inspecting the boy, trying to ascertain his character.

"I have to look after my offspring. God knows I only want the best for them, shall He bless us all, my Lord of Lancaster"

Kent said, piously. Well, at least pretending to be pious and pleasant, he had even clasped his hands and raised his head a little.

"Yes, I shall pray for it." Lancaster flatly responded; he didn't pray as often as he should, or so the damned churchmen said. "Until our next meeting then, Kent. May it be as fruitful as this one." Gaunt inclined his head, and Beaufort bowed once more. Following that, Lancaster swiftly made his way out of the Tower, perhaps to rail to his wife or some unfortunate retainer about his grievances.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast