Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Privy Council

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: The Privy Council

Perhaps, Your Majesty, we could fill the castle's with sufficient soldiers to distract them with sieges while a big host is raised and attacks the the besiegers from behind? Westmorland inquired.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Maltravers rolled his eyes. "And yet again, Westmorland, large armies and Wales are incompatible - your only justification for opposing this plan is that you dislike Lord Percy. The Earl of Northumberland's proposal has merit - a cunning adaptation of Edward Longshanks' original strategy.

I am inclined to agree with Lord Percy, by keeping the Welsh out of the castles, we can limit their control over the region - however, it still doesn't change the fact that the enemy knows the region - they will cut our armies to shreds as they attempt to relieve castles the Welsh place under siege. They will fight us like Bruce fought us - in the hills and the mountains, striking and fleeing, using their very land as a weapon."

Don't pretend to tell me my reasons for opposing such a proposal, Lord Shrewsbury. Westmorland said so.

Must we then all divide our army in smaller parts so the Welsh may take them on one by one?, i say no. ridiculous.

He sighed, does he have tell his plan again?
    Simply put sufficient soldiers in the castle to drag the Welshmen in long and costly sieges while we send local scouts from the area to determine the enemy numbers and locations and we attack them behind with a unified force, then we lure them in a place to our choice which is to our advantage. Westmorland said
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Percy could tell where this was going. Neville was copying his idea and making adjustments to gain favor from the King. It was up to the King to decide on which plan to adopt. He turns his gaze to the King.

"Your Majesty, the overall view here is that the castles are important. So they must be warned and ordered into mobilizing their garrisons and preparing for sieges. It would be a waste otherwise to send these troops out to attack the Welsh who are certainly growing in number as we speak. As long as the castles can hold out, it will give us time to gather the necessary troops to go on the offensive."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

"I don't care what strategy is employed, that's not my forte"

Said Worcester.

"But His Majesty shouldn't raise the whole kingdom in arms. Many lords would resent expending their resources in such a war when their incomes were compromised the previous year. Plus, if the lords march on your behalf, my sovereign, you will owe them the tranquility of your rule; barely a year before your coronation"

Nevill was tired of all the bickering.

"Wales isn't that big neither must Glendower's host be that large. I suggest a limited intervention, by the crown or an appointed noble, to deal with Glendower. A great offensive could be damaging, as the Welsh might not be such a great menace and we don't wish half the nobles commanding private armies all over England, with our former king's memories still so vivid"

He exchanged a meaningful look with the king. Many nobles were surely discontent, should they be able to raise men? Certainly not.

"Act casually, sire. The greater the credit you give this Owain, the larger the threat he poses"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Henry pondered this, having remained conspicuously silent. Of all the men there, it came as some surprise that Worcester spoke the most sensibly.

"These suggestions have merit."
    Nodded the King, with a vague gesture. "Owain is nothing, at the moment. We can send a limited force of indentured soldiers to deal with him, nothing more. After all, it is not yet certain how much of Wales has even risen to his banner, and not a single castle flies his flag, I am certain."

Henry then fell silent, gazing upon those present behind enigmatic eyes. Who to choose? Who would be suitable to command such a force? If the King himself went, it would attract undue... Suspicion.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

"I would still advise Your Majesty to at least strengthen the garrisons of important castles in Wales and along the Marches. The tactics and tenacity of the Welsh should certainly warrant improving garrisons."

Northumberland did not want these rebels to simply be given a free pass to move wherever they please and risk the security of Wales.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

"None else then the King himself should march as the head of this army." York replied, stern as ever.

"How so?"

Said Worcester, snorting.

"There's no need for the king to lead an army when he has many lords to act on his behalf. We cannot risk the royal persona"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

"Is this not the purpose that the Marcher Lords of Wales were created for? One of them could lead this force to deal with Glendower."

Perhaps a loyal man from Wales like Lord Hastings would do, he is from Wales after all, with other capable commanders ofcourse. Like myself

We can not risk the royal persona indeed. His gaze nodded in agreement with his brother, why would His Majesty waste his time on a tiny rebellion?
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Blog Entries

York rolled his eyes, how inefficient this council is was now displayed. Perhaps that's what you can expect from a council...
    "The King has spearheaded a rebellion that met no resistance, the previous king displayed weakness and that is exactly where the Welsh are feeding of now. This is a good opportunity for the King to display his Royal persona and martial abilities. Of course people like the good Lord Marshal should be included as well as the March lords." Edward sipped his water, which tasted awful he thought but he drank it non the less without flinching.

"I remain of the opinion that bluntly marching in an army would be unwise. Restock the garrisons of the important castles in the region, asses the situation and when the facts are presented crush them with the King at the head of the army." Edward concluded.

"I shall order the marcher lords to ensure their garrisons are well stocked and supplied, yes." Replied the King, gripping the arms of his chair.

"These rebels are not yet serious enough to warrant my personal oversight. A royal lieutenant shall be able to perform this task adequately."
    He leaned forward. "Unless the situation escalates, of course."

Odd that reason had come from the airhead of the group, but Shrewsbury knew wisdom when he saw it. Westmorland still remained as big a fool as ever though. "Lord Hastings would be suitable, as would Lord Pembroke and even, to a lesser degree, the Lord Grey de Ruthyn. There is also the Earl of March - has allegiance in this matter is solid, after all, he stands to lose ylthe most and he is blooded in the warfare put forth by the Welsh, Scots and Irish.

Lord Northumberland is another option, and both myself and my cousin, Arundel, are your loyal servants, who would delight at the chance to serve."

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    Odd that reason had come from the airhead of the group, but Shrewsbury knew wisdom when he saw it. Westmorland still remained as big a fool as ever though. "Lord Hastings would be suitable, as would Lord Pembroke and even, to a lesser degree, the Lord Grey de Ruthyn. There is also the Earl of March - has allegiance in this matter is solid, after all, he stands to lose ylthe most and he is blooded in the warfare put forth by the Welsh, Scots and Irish.

Lord Northumberland is another option, and both myself and my cousin, Arundel, are your loyal servants, who would delight at the chance to serve."
    Mortimer? No, he could not trust the man, whatever their marital ties.

"Perhaps one of this council would suit. The Lord York, even, could take overall command of such an expedition."
    The King offered a sideways glance towards his cousin.

Blog Entries

York was very much surprised... He hid it well though but it did ran through his mind a couple of times before he would reply.
    cold as ever he said. "You honor me your Grace." The king wanted him out of court he thought. Was the King truly so paranoid? York was treated well by the king, he had it good and was happy with his role as lord chancellor. Perhaps he overthought the matter.

"Assisted by the Lord Arundel, perhaps, in commanding the royal troops for this expedition... And of course, to be accompanied by my son. As Prince of Wales, he must be the one to crush this rebellion." Monmouth was only fifteen, but that was old enough to fight and lead men into war. The boy would have to grow up quickly, if he was to face Glendower in battle.

Blog Entries

"I would've suggested the Hotspur join us, however I have no doubt in Lord Arundel's abilities either your Grace." York swiftly countered. He wasn't too thrilled about taking Arundel with him but at least he held the command.. Something he would not have thought he'd ever have.

Shrewsbury stayed silent - though he took offence at the obvious slight thrown at his cousin by the Duke of York. He was also worried about his cousin's survival chances - York's military abilities were.... questionable.

Blog Entries

York looked over at Arundel, he was probably insulted in some way, what an anger that man had locked away inside him. "No offense Lord Arundel" York added dryly. If they were to fight together they better get along before it becomes their doom.