Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empire of the World

Default Empire of the World

Disclaimer:

Apologies I dont normally start a thread this way, but I feel that I should here:

My Warhammer knowledge is non existent! I had no intention of getting this game in all honesty, but a recent offer made it hard to pass up. However I have (had) no idea what Warhammer is, was or will be. All I knew about it was how the figures looked cool when I walked past the shop, but that id never be able to paint something so good that small.

To that end im starting with a clean slate in terms of everything here, ive read up a bit on some lore just to get an idea of what faction id like to be, but that probably barely scratches the surface of this fictional world and its inhabitants.

So right off the bat I want to offer apologies in advance for anything I get wrong during my thread. Im winging it, ill roll with what im given and will see how it pans out. I may get some of the lore mixed up, some of the stuff may not make sense for those experienced in Warhammer, but im happy to be guided should I need be.

Ive waffled enough, I just wanted to lay the land a little here..... I am already well ensconced into my campaign, so expect a potential rash of posts to get things up to date. Lets see where this goes, ive put Napoleon on hold for this one, so ive high hopes that I can have alot of fun!

Default Re: Empire of the World

Altdorf:

The Empire is beginning to stir, the unrest in the North is coming to a head. Secessionists trouble the Empire and its delusions of grandeur. Beyond that, old rivalries begin to grate. The Empire needs to consolidate and exert itself once more in the World.

Volkmar the Grim, the spiritual heart of the Empire sets off to seek glory on the battlefield. War is inevitable, Grunberg to the South, held by the Empire Secessionists is the target... however distractions at home bring about the first conflict in the bloody future of the Empire.

Battle of Altdorf

With Volkmar the Grim ready to march his men South, the Redhorn Tribe led by Ungrol Stoneheart came by Altdorf and began to raid the city, causing unrest and a need for resolution. Volkmar the Grim hastily returned to catch up with the raid party.....

The Hills around Altdorf would play into the hands of the Beastmen as Ungrol Stoneheart setup his forces atop a crest, giving them full line of sight of the advancing Empire. Volkmar the Grim would attack on 3 fronts, all of which saw the need for his men to charge up a steep slope and relying on their numbers to overwhelm their foe.

On the right flank, a unit of Knights would ignite the battle, surging into the Beastmens flank and causing them to funnel out toward the woods. Volkmar would send his Flagellants in to maintain the pressure as the Empire began to overwhelm their enemy.

As the Empire swordsmen fought their way up through the masses, they would crest to a wave of archery fire. Ungrol Stroneheart would rally his men, but soon the numbers of the Empire attack would swarm their position, causing the Beastmen to retreat and find themselves slaughtered in the forests of Altdorf.

Ungrol himself would fall as Volkmar would deal the decisive blow to the Redhorn leader, the rest of his army would flee, face capture or death. The Empire began with the plan to capture Grunberg, they would win up putting the Redhorn Tribe to the sword.

Note -
    Battle of Altdorf: The Empire would defeat the Redhorn Tribe

March toward Grunberg

Volkmar would replinish his forces and set forth on his original quest, to conquer Grunberg, land home to the Empire Secessionists. Hans Zintler would lead the main force that marched out to meet Volkmars men, he would be reinforced by another 700 as the Empire would be outnumbered on the field as they sought to gain land.

The Secessionists would hold a hill on the outskirts of Grunberg, forcing the Empire to pace into the archers firing down on them. However once the Empire forces came into sight, Zintler would lead his men in a mass charge down the hill, as man fought man in brutal close quarter combat. The sudden charge appeared to take Volkmar by surprise as he divided his forces in the hope of encircling the enemy, this left him weak in the middle and reliant on a line of Swordsmen to hold off the mass charge.

With his line beginning to collapse, Volkmar himself charged into battle, clashing with Hans Zintler as the lords fought alongside their men. Alas Volkmar would take a crippling blow, leaving him wounded and withdrawn from the field as his men battled to save him. The rest of the Empire forces would fight on, but with their spiritual leader taken from their side, their will to carry on deserted them.

Zintler implored his men forward, cutting through the withdrawing Empire troops. It would be a costly defeat, Grunberg had been saved for now by the Secessionists as the Empire and Volkmar would retreat back to Altdorf to re-assess their situation.

Note -
    Battle of Grunberg: Empire Secessionists defeat the Empire

Somethings Stirring

Volkmar had been wounded, he needed to recuperate back in Altdorf. His army, badly beaten needed new men and new leadership, the Empire assigned Adolfus Biber to command their army and he was immediately tasked with going back to the scene of Volkmars humiliation, Grunberg.

However it wouldnt be that simple you see, as the Empire Secessionists found themselves ambushed by Stirland as the weakened force led by Hans Zintler would be chased from their homes into the forests of the North. Stirland now occupied the land the Empire demanded and the time was ripe for Biber to take his stead and lead the Empire to victory.

Battle of Grunberg II

Adolfus Biber had a different plan to that which saw Volkmar lose on the very same fields. Biber hoped he could use the cover of the forests to approach the forces led by Alberich Haupt-Anderssen. Once more the Empire would be outnumbered, but Biber believed that a concentration of forces fighting alongside each other would be too much for Stirland to break down, leaving them ripe for the taking.

Alberich had other ideas, his superior vantage point allowed him to mark all the movements of the Empire and when the Empire forces found their way into the forest, they would face na ambush and a full frontal assault. Stirland had taken the element of surprise out of the equation and immediately smashed into the Empire lines as they struggled to maintain any integrity.

Biber fearing the worst would race in to fight the opposing General, but his fortitude would prove to be in vain. The Empire, already shaken from their earlier loss on this very land, would begin to wilt. The strong congregation of forces that Biber hoped would turn the battle in his favor, soon dissipated and with the losses mounting for his men, he signalled a hasty retreat.

Haupt-Anderssen had not only removed the Secessionists from their land, he had prevented the Empire once more in their attempts to expand. With many wounds to lick, the Empire returned to Altdorf, unsure of their future and unsure of their role in the warring world.

Note -
    Stirland defeat the Empire Secessionists to claim Grunberg
    Battle of Grunberg II: Stirland defeat the Empire

The World is changing...

Following their defeat at Stirland and subsequent loss of Adolfus Biber and his men, the Empire took stock of their situation and remained in Altdorf whilst those around them continued to war.

Initially a peace would be brokered with Stirland as the Empire appeared to have given up on taking Grunburg, however that would soon change as the Wood Elves saw a chance to expand their land into human territory and would inflict a decisive blow on Stirland, wiping them from the map.

The Wood Elves now posed a real threat to the Empire, so the return to health of Volkmar the Grim was more important than ever. Peace and military alliances would be put into place with other Empire provinces Nordland and Talabecland, as the Empire knew that she alone could not cope with the ongoing threat around them.

With this new found stability and the returning Volkmar to lead its forces, the Empire once more pushed forth and would make potentially their last push in attempting to take Grunburg and exert itself outside of Altdorf.

Battle of Grunburg III (The Wood Elves)

Volkmar knew that the Wood Elves had their eyes on more than just Grunburg and he would be correct. The Elves would leave Grunburg relatively weak as they took their main force south in an attempt to defeat Wissenland at Nuln, leaving Volkmar the perfect opportunity to march in and finally claim the province.

A huge Empire force would descend onto the woodland around Grunburg and their superior force would overwhelm the Wood Elves who fought a valiant battle in the woods, before fleeing and leaving Grunburg in the hands of Volkmar!

Alas it wouldnt last, Volkmar and the Empire had to leave Grunburg as quick as they captured it. They were needed closer to home, the Battle of Bloodpine Woods awaited as a rabble of Empire Secessionists threatened the provinces and needed taking care of. Grunburg? Well she fell, the small garrison force had no chance when the Wood Elves returned and is now a wasteland of ruins.

Note -
    Battle of Grunburg III - The Empire defeat the Wood Elves
    Grunburg is then lost to the Wood Elves and us now a wasteland
    Volkmar the Grim and his forces return north to face Secessionists at the Battle of Bloodpine Woods

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I also know very little about Warhammer. But I'm not going to let that stop me from commenting.

Grunburg has really caused the Empire trouble, hasn't it? (Is it tactically important? (My computer can't run TW:WH, so I don't know these things.)) The back and forth, and constantly changing situation is very gripping. I'm intrigued to see what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    I also know very little about Warhammer. But I'm not going to let that stop me from commenting.

Grunburg has really caused the Empire trouble, hasn't it? (Is it tactically important? (My computer can't run TW:WH, so I don't know these things.)) The back and forth, and constantly changing situation is very gripping. I'm intrigued to see what happens next.
    Thanks for reading, at least im not the only one lacking Warhammer knowledge I did worry about dipping my toes into these murky waters!

Grunburg is a mess, its importance remains a mystery to all

Battle of Bloodpine Woods

Volkmar returned to the outskirts of Altdorf in order to face an uprising led by Richter Weismund as the Empire faced yet more unrest within its provinces.

Fortunately for Volkmar, he and his forces would stumble on the marching Weismund, allowing them to setup an ambush and charge the unprepared enemy through the woods. However Weismund had an artillery division and the charge from Volkmar would soon be hampered by rockets and mortars piling down on to his men as they attempted to race through the woods.

As men lost life and limb, the Empire relied on its superior numbers to press on and eventually chase off Weismund, routing his artillery and destroying the brief rise of the Secessionists.

Matter and mind must now turn to expanding the Empire's presence in the region. Grunburg remains a realistic option, but with the Wood Elves thriving, the Empire may have to force their hand sooner than they want.

Note -
    Battle of Bloodpine Woods: The Empire defeat Empire Secessionists
    Last edited by bourboncream; February 09, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

We Meet Again...

The warmth of victory in their last battle would hold Volkmars men well, yet they had little time to replenish when orders came in to once more march South and take the ruins of Grunburg in the name of the Empire.

As Volkmar marched through Reikland, a familiar foe would appear on the horizon. The Wood Elves remain active in the area and with Grunburg easy pickings, Orion had been tasked with taking the land for the Elven people.

With a weakened force at his disposal, Volkmar knew that they had little time to prepare and his diligence would see him setup on top of a hill, waiting for the Elves to make their move...

Battle of Grunburg IV

Rain began to fall as the armies lined up to face each other. Orion had to overcome the lye of the land, having to charge up a hill and into the Empire lines. Fortunately for him, he had a large cavalry corps at his disposal, something Volkmar failed to notice and counter.

As the opposing Archers faced off, the Elves raced around the Empire forces eventually charging them from behind, causing mass chaos and destruction. Soon the Elves infantry would crest the hill, sandwiching the Empire army, enveloping them and leaving them exposed to all manner of attack.

Volkmar saw his men wavering and there was little he could do, bar watch as the Elves continued to butcher their way through human flesh. Those that were fortunate to remain standing would flee back to Altdorf, the rest, consigned to the vultures to feed on their corpses.

Grunburg has been the scene of misery for the Empire, today was no different. Volkmar the Grim yet again lost an army, the Empire continues to falter and with the ever increasing threat on their borders, it may be too late for the Empire to thrive in this harsh world.

Note -
    Battle of Grunburg IV: The Wood Elves defeat the Empire
    Last edited by bourboncream; February 09, 2017 at 10:04 AM.

Diplomacy leads to....

If war fails, negotiate. So with that in mind the Empire sent out an olive branch to other Empire provinces in the hope that a confederation would stabilise not only themselves, but the human race as a whole due to the impending threats engulfing the world.

However peace would be brokered on another front, as after a pair of attritional battles over Grunburg it would be the Wood Elves who came to Altdorf looking to broker terms. The Elves albeit victors in their last battle, had other concerns with the Dwarves and Orcs both prominent on their southern precipice, so a peace with the Empire would alleviate one problem.

Karl Franz would accept the Elves proposal and with it came a swift change in the Empires fortune. Now in a position of strength, a peace treaty with Nordland would soon follow, before a significant change for the Empire came when Talabecland would accept a Confederation with the Empire, expanding their territory 5-fold and give them the income to support a larger army.

The Protector 'Karl-Franz' himself would now come to lead his own army, a demand put on him following the Confederation and the need to ward off the dark threat coming from the East. The Empire is now at its strongest for a long time, but its also vulnerable as the World continues to turn.

Note -
    Peace brokered with the Wood Elves and Nordland
    The Empire agree a confederation with Talabecland
    'The Protector' Karl Franz will command an army as the Empire expands

Battle of Carroburg

With its new found power, the Empire sent out an army commanded by Wigel Dietzen as the look to consolidate its land by warding off threats lurking with intent. Dietzen had moved north, passing through lands controlled by Nordland, when a surprise attack came in the form of the Orcs under the Crooked Moon banner. Skarsnik had managed to skirmish his way up through to the Empire provinces, leaving behind them a trail of destruction and death. So when they saw a chance to attack Dietzen and the Empire, there would be only one outcome.

Dietzen commanded a force of over 2000 men as he took the field in preparation for the onslaught of the Orc army. Skarsnik had the advantage in experience and numbers, as he would take no time in sending his mobile archers in to pepper the Empire line. With their Crossbowman returning fire, the Empire attempted to hold their flank, as Goblin spider riders came hard and fast.

Soon after the mass of the Orc force charged into the Empire centre, the fighting became fierce as human and greenskin thrust their blade forward in a desperate and valiant attempt to live through the impending horror. Skarsnik himself, accompanied by Gobbla would wreck havoc amongst the Empire infantry as Gobbla would consume humans whole in a terrifying attack.

Dietzen prowled his line and the initial wave of Orc attacks appeared to have been fended off as they began a retreat. The Empire appeared to have won, however it proved to be a short respite as the Orcs regrouped and came back harder than before. It proved to be decisive, the Empire became overrun, the Orcs hacked and slashed their way through all that remained, with chariots racing around the field picking off straggling units as they sallied toward the woods.

The Orcs had won, there was little to gain as they fought in lands controlled by Nordland and the losses suffered put them in a precarious position. However the Empire have suffered yet another defeat on the field of battle and with threats ever growing, they need to find the resilience that made them once great.

Note -
    Battle of Carroburg: The Crooked Moon (Orcs) defeat the Empire

KemperBAD

Through Confederation the Empire inherited the army of Helmet Feuerbach. Feuerbach and his men were camped in Kemperbad, a territory bordering the ever-growing horde of the undead, Vampire Counts. Previously Feuerbach had fought off efforts by the Counts to take Kemperbad, but as the power of Talabecland diminished the chance of the Counts coming back for another bite increased.

So with the news of the Confederation with the Empire travelling the lands the Vampire Counts knew that they had to strike, so with no time for the Empire to send further re-inforcements East, the Siege of Kemperbad began.

Battle of Kemperbad

The future of the human race in Kemperbad would come under threat as Mannfred Von Carstein would bring his legion of the undead to the city walls. With his men lined up atop the turrets and further forces standing their ground at the gates, it was only a matter of time before the Vampire Counts would breach the defences and draw blood. Initially the battle on the city walls would take precedent as the Empire struggled to hold their ground as more and more undead forces climbed into the action.

Then as the gates burst, the horrifying blood thirsty Vampire Count army would charge in and mutilate all in front of them. Feuerbach saw his men cower and struggle to maintain their discipline, but he would urge them to fight on in the name of the Empire and to defend their city from the horrors in front of them.

Eventually the constant wave of undead would take its toll and there would be only 1 way out and that was to flee the city and regroup for another day. The Vampire Counts had taken Kemperbad, the Empire had again suffered a defeat and with the increasing threat from outside forces closing in, their future remains bleak.

Note -
    Battle of Kemperbad: The Vampire Counts defeat the Empire

Butchering of Feuerbach

As Feuerbach and his forces fled to the outskirts of Kemperbad, they had hoped that they could return home and re-group together with Karl Franz and Volkmar at Altdorf. The Vampire Counts however had other ideas and soon sent out their force to hunt down the fleeing humans.

Battle of Kemperbad II

Dusk on a damp and drab evening saw the Empire continue to flee Kemperbad through the forests around their fallen stronghold. As they attempted to re-group an evil wind crossed through them and soon those still standing would be surrounded by the haunting cry of the undead and those serving Von Carstein.

Without being able to organise themselves, the Empire had to fight as they stood, but without any coherence or leadership it was almost a foregone conclusion for the Vampire Counts to finish off the job they had begun when seiging Kemperbad.

Undead Cavalry would burst through the trees, slaying men to their left and right. There was little chance to escape the blade and the cries of human anguish would litter the sky.

Zombie hordes would roam the fields looking to overwhelm every and anyone in their path. Men succumbed to the sheer number of rotting corpses around them. Evil had prevailed, Feuerbach himself fell victim and the Empire would hear of another humbling in the field of battle.

The threat of the Vampire Counts is now real as they continue to forge across the land. The Empire will now rely on Lord Volkmar and their leader Karl Franz to rectify not only their honor, but to save the Empire from the extinction it faces.

Note -
    Battle of Kemperbad II: The Vampire Counts defeat the Empire

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Your AAR conveys the excitement and drama of your campaign brilliantly! It looks like the Empire's diplomacy with the Wood Elves was an important step to avoid fighting on too many fronts, as the Empire now faces the threat of extinction. Your writing and images make me want to read on, to discover whether the Empire can survive the terrifying attacks of the Vampire Counts.

It sounds like you are worried about keeping your story consistent with the lore of Warhammer. As I see it, Warhammer AAR writers have several options. You can try to follow the lore as strictly as possible, or aim to generally (not necessarily always) follow the lore, or ignore the lore and tell your own story. For me, the treatment of lore in Warhammer AARs is similar to the treatment of history in historical AARs - each AAR writer can decide how strict they want to be.

My only concern is that updates are appearing so quickly that readers might not be able to keep up. (When I posted a lot of updates quickly with one AAR, the number of views rose quite slowly. When I posted one update a week with my next AAR, the number of views increased steadily.) Of course, there's nothing wrong with posting several updates quickly if that's what you want to do (or what circumstances force you to do) - it's your AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Your AAR conveys the excitement and drama of your campaign brilliantly! It looks like the Empire's diplomacy with the Wood Elves was an important step to avoid fighting on too many fronts, as the Empire now faces the threat of extinction. Your writing and images make me want to read on, to discover whether the Empire can survive the terrifying attacks of the Vampire Counts.

It sounds like you are worried about keeping your story consistent with the lore of Warhammer. As I see it, Warhammer AAR writers have several options. You can try to follow the lore as strictly as possible, or aim to generally (not necessarily always) follow the lore, or ignore the lore and tell your own story. For me, the treatment of lore in Warhammer AARs is similar to the treatment of history in historical AARs - each AAR writer can decide how strict they want to be.

My only concern is that updates are appearing so quickly that readers might not be able to keep up. (When I posted a lot of updates quickly with one AAR, the number of views rose quite slowly. When I posted one update a week with my next AAR, the number of views increased steadily.) Of course, there's nothing wrong with posting several updates quickly if that's what you want to do (or what circumstances force you to do) - it's your AAR.
    Thanks mate, appreciate you taking your time to read and comment. Im enjoying learning about the world and its unique properties, so its good to know that ive some 'give' in how I can approach this.

Part of the reason I have a fair few updates is due to being already into the campaign before I began posting. I wanted to get my feet under the table and ensure that I at least had a game worth portraying. But as you say, chances are things may change pace as life (read school half term + 3 kids) eat into my gaming time.

I don't see a reason why not knowing about Warhammer would be negative for you AAR. It's great thus far. And I think it's the same with every other (historical) AAR. Doesn't need to be historically (in the context of Warhammer) correct. This might even create more unique stories. As a Warhammer fan, I love it!

You convey the ambience of the Campaign perfectly and your pictures fit very good with your writing.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

Oh, my. I kind of hoped all that diplomacy would give the Empire more of a chance than it seems to have done. It's not going so well, is it? I'm starting to feel as if I want to close my eyes to escape all the horror... and yet I can't quite look away...

(Which means you're doing a good job with this, in case that isn't obvious!)

Quote Originally Posted by bourboncream View Post
    Thanks mate, appreciate you taking your time to read and comment. Im enjoying learning about the world and its unique properties, so its good to know that ive some 'give' in how I can approach this.
    Also, I agree with everyone else. This is your version of this world, so you get to do what you like with it.

The Empire fights back

Nothing had gone well for the Empire since the Confederation that saw them expand their land and power. A defeat at Kemperbad saw the threat of the Vampire Counts loom large and with their small Empire under threat from all sides, hope was beginning to be lost.

The one solace for the Empire was the belief that Emperor Karl Franz and his legendary army would bring about a change of fortune. This was coupled with the relative financial strength of the Empire as they began to rebuild their army back home in Altdorf.

Mannfred Von Carstein failed to realise this and after his victory at Kemperbad, he went for the heart of the Empire and marched straight to Altdorf, igniting another battle with the humans, this time on their home land and facing Karl Franz.

Battle of Altdorf

As mentioned, Mannfred Von Carstein came to Altdorf in the belief that he could hammer the final nail into the Empires coffin with a crushing victory to follow up his win at Kemperbad. What he hadnt counted for was the strength in reserve of the Empire as not only Karl Franz would be stationed in Altdorf with over 2000 men, but also Volkmar the Grim, as the Empire would outnumber their enemy by almost 2 to 1.

An initial mortar bombardment would start things off as the Vampire Counts trundled down the hill toward the mass of Empire men. However only Karl Franz forces would be on show, as Volkmar waited patiently in a small valley as the Empires plan to encircle the undead would play out perfectly.

Once again the mass of zombie and skeleton warriors would smash into the Empire infantry, attempting to pave the way for the horrifying Crypt Horrors to come in and mash up the remaining human flesh. Yet this time the Empire knew what was coming and they managed to overwhelm Von Carsteins army as Volkmar took his cue to charge across the small crest and into the side of the advancing Vampire Counts.

This confusion split the undead and it was the perfect distraction for Karl Franz to send in his cavalry to inflict the decisive blow to their wavering foe. Mannfred Von Carstein would signal the retreat, the Empire would celebrate on the field, they had staved off the Vampire Count threat to their homeland, but it came at a heavy cost of life.

Note -
    Battle of Altdorf: The Empire defeat the Vampire Counts

Grunburg

With the Empire now confident following their victory at Altdorf, they would sally forth and march back to the region of many a death and heartbreak. This time though Grunburg was undefended, a ruined province with no one willing to claim and rebuild. The Empire knew that this was their chance, a peace with the Wood Elves ensured that Grunburg had at least 1 friendly neighbour and as such, Grunburg became part of the Empire.

That wasnt the only piece of good news for the Empire. Following their victory over the Vampire Counts, a request came to them from the South. Markus Von Sinckler of Schwartzhafen, a land of the undead and ally of the Vampire Counts would request peace with the Empire.

A sign of fear or weakness, maybe. But a welcome relief for the Empire as they look to replinish their forces for what is likely to be a longer campaign of war against Mannfred Von Carstein and his legions.

Note -
    The Empire take on the ruins of Grunburg to expand their lands
    Schwartzhafen request peace with the Empire, which is duly accepted

An excellent fast paced and action packed storyline .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast