Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In your experience, what is the hardest English accent to understand?

Default In your experience, what is the hardest English accent to understand?

Since coming back from an exchange in Denmark (Aarhus) I've discovered that apparently, despite being one of the only native speakers among the other people there, I speak terrible English.

I come from the North of Ireland where our English accent has a very heavy Scottish influence and the difficulty people had in understanding me in Denmark, from both Danish people and others, was incredibly interesting.

So, what do you find hard to understand? I've always found English coming from a Spanish speaker generally a bit difficult, and people from Liverpool.

Default Re: In your experience, what is the hardest English accent to understand?

White inner City Londoners from the flats trying to talk with a black gangsta Jamaican accent. ''Innit Bruv'' '' bluud'' ''frum da streets mate'' ''blat blat v
    blat wiv me gat innit''. ''reeeeeeeeeee Dizzy Rascull m8'' Has anyone heard that. ? You see it in movies. White poor low level drug dealers talk that way. So that and Geordie. Especially any drunk Geordie female from Newcastle . They shriek.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: In your experience, what is the hardest English accent to understand?

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Scottish, my wife's relatives visit for a few weeks during the Summer and I can't understand them, but they sure love to talk to me.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

I found it hard to understand a London girl who came from Yemen. I persevered for her (because she looks like Salma Hayek). Now I can understand everything she says. This was how it was with a lot of the other accents. After hearing these accents many times, I stopped noticing the accents. I think a language that's widely spoken around the world is destined to have numerous accents. Even a small country like Korea has different accents.
    Last edited by Ukiah; February 08, 2017 at 09:58 AM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Jamaican, South african, Nigerian. In general african-english accents are hard to grasp. They speak too fast and with off words and tone.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Chinese English. They seem to struggle with actually pronouncing consonants. Also, Brazilian English, they pronounce "l" as "u". It took me a bit to understand that when they said "emayu" they meant "email".
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Anyone who eats their own words.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

It is gotta be South African, I was struggling to understand a thing the mercenary in Elysiym was saying. Same with Die Antwoord (though the interesting accent only adds up to their music).

Yeah and some British accents can be very difficult to understand despite it being so common in television. Not sure if its cogney or something, but the way they say words like 'butter' - bu'ah, or 'water' - wa'ah or something like that. Not that I mind, I love listening to these accents but if I really need to fully understand what is being said, it may be a problem at times.
    Last edited by Finlander; February 08, 2017 at 05:06 PM.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Scouse, yorkshire, cockney, drunken Scot
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Jamaican patois is relaxing; Afrikaans just compels you to punch the speaker.

Louisiana creole just sounds oily.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

British.

No joking aside, probably Indian, Russian, Scottish and some African English.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Chinese English. They seem to struggle with actually pronouncing consonants.
    Yes because that is uncommon in Mandarin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Whatever gibberish it is that the Queen speaks.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    It is gotta be South African, I was struggling to understand a thing the mercenary in Elysiym was saying. Same with Die Antwoord (though the interesting accent only adds up to their music).
    In fairness the actual South African English accent is pretty easy to understand, like a more crisp Australian accent. But Die Antwoord are Afrikaaners, so obviously they bring a lot of their Afrikaans accent, and words.

Always surprises me that people find accents difficult to understand, but I suppose I come from the bottom of the accent foodchain as a Scot - every accent is easier to understand than my own plus I have exposure to American and English accents, whereas Americans and English people have little exposure to Scottish accents. Ironically the only accents I genuinely can't understand are other Scottish accents, such as Dundee and Orkney. I literally have no idea what people with a broad Dundee accent are saying, it's totally different from Glasgow. There's a famous Dundonian expression, 'A ning a ninganaw', which means 'can I have an onion pie as well'. It's basically a different language to me.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    I literally have no idea what people with a broad Dundee accent are saying, it's totally different from Glasgow. There's a famous Dundonian expression, 'A ning a ninganaw', which means 'can I have an onion pie as well'. It's basically a different language to me.

Only know one person from Dundee and honestly he has the least thick Scottish accent I've ever heard from a Scot, he sounds like he's from Donegal to me.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Bóramha View Post
    Only know one person from Dundee and honestly he has the least thick Scottish accent I've ever heard from a Scot, he sounds like he's from Donegal to me.
    He's probably quite posh. Frankly I know some upper middle class Glaswegians who can barely understand working class Glaswegians because they are exposed to them so little. Glasgow is quite a segregated city unlike most other British cities. I imagine Dundee is as well to some extent seeing as it's a university city with a massive tech community.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Bri'ish!
    A friend advises in his interest, not yours.

“My grandad always said, "You should never judge a book by its cover." And it's for that reason that he lost his job as chair of the British Book Cover Awards panel.”
    Stewart Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    In fairness the actual South African English accent is pretty easy to understand, like a more crisp Australian accent. But Die Antwoord are Afrikaaners, so obviously they bring a lot of their Afrikaans accent, and words.

Always surprises me that people find accents difficult to understand, but I suppose I come from the bottom of the accent foodchain as a Scot - every accent is easier to understand than my own plus I have exposure to American and English accents, whereas Americans and English people have little exposure to Scottish accents. Ironically the only accents I genuinely can't understand are other Scottish accents, such as Dundee and Orkney. I literally have no idea what people with a broad Dundee accent are saying, it's totally different from Glasgow. There's a famous Dundonian expression, 'A ning a ninganaw', which means 'can I have an onion pie as well'. It's basically a different language to me.
    Orkadian's quite mutually intelligible to Aberdonians yo. Also, cannot believe you're still active. You've been here for yonks!

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I'd say this is the hardest accent I've ever heard. I can understand them when they're not laughing but I imagine it's gibberish otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast