Thread: Crusade campaign: Venice the Confused

Default Crusade campaign: Venice the Confused

Hey there people!

Just started to play M2:TW lately and wanted play Crusade Campaign and some "extremely historical" events happened

First, Byzantines became ally of both Jerusalem and Antioch then Venice invasion occurred, but I think they were little bit confused because they passed Constantinople, Heraclea and finally besieged Ankara. Well, they lost nearly 2/3 of their armies and had to turn back but the thing I was wondering, shouldn't they start game at war with Byzantines so they can attack Constantinople instead coming Asia Minor and invade my kingdom? Now they're not a threat to anyone but circling around the map...
    A friend advises in his interest, not yours.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Crusade campaign: Venice the Confused

Thats odd, in every campaign I've played they always attack Byzantium/Miklagard/Constantinople/Istanbul! Poor Venecians, I guess
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Things going better than I expected I'm occasionally capturing their king and releasing him with payment and they pay over 15k mostly which is a good source for me This reminded me Roussel de Bailleul(Norman commander) who got captured by Turks a few times and released after payment lol

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

Every given campaign the Venetians will siege Constantinople 100% ,its odd that you see them march at Ankara
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

Well, that's the thing surprised me. Because I didn't play game for a really long time and I don't remember such thing before. Bloody barbarians lol

Samittaja's Avatar Libertus

I am currently playing the Crusades campaign as the Principality of Antioch. I don't know what the Venetians did in prior, but for the last ~10 turns they've just stood somewhere around the middle Anatolia, usually near Ankara, which is owned by the Byzantines. Constantinople still belongs to the Byzantines. Despite being at war with the Byzantines, they had done nothing interesting. Couple of turns ago they finally begun to make bigger movement, besieging a rebel settlement, which they sacked (as leaving a rebel settlement behind like a horde faction they are) last turn.

The only interesting situation was that the Byzantines gathered something like 5 full stacks into the close proximity, and the armies were having a Mediterranean standoff for several turns.

Go Venice drunk, you're home

No seriously, that's really bad. Kinda killing to mood, the atmosphere, you know...

marcp's Avatar Libertus

When I began playing again a couple months back I started off with an Antioch campaign. Unlike the abnormal behavior described what I encountered was a Venice that did not present itself, on the campaign map or otherwise. After perhaps 8=10 turns of their entering the campaign as faction I basically docked a cog around Constantinople for sign of Venice. After I don't know how many, but quite a lot of turns and no show from Venice the only affect it had on game was to cripple the Byz and they retreated into a defensive and mistrusting faction...later on corrupted saves file had me abandon camp. altogether. Wonder at times with glitches for me if it isn't a windows10 compatibility issue.

And River Lord, about that signature...it is one of my universal principles, I am more likely to work off the advice of strangers than friends/family. While they usually mean well more so it is, "it would be easier on me if you" were less/more forgiving in this situation etc. So anyway nice sig.

Mark

I am on turn 47 of my crusades campaign as Egypt. Venice announced their intent to crusade maybe 20 turns ago then decided to attack Byzantine. I sent a spy over there and witnessed them get wiped from the face of the earth over the course of 6 turns. So I'm just sitting here, waiting for the Mongols I guess? I've never played this campaign before. Will anyone else challenge me? Jerusalem's bloodline was extinguished before I could destroy them and Antioch will fall in the next 20 turns. Are Byzantine and Mongols going to be it after that?

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Well, I have played the Crusades only once, with the Byzantines. I think you are somewhat early in the campaign (turn 47) to call it a day, because both Turks and Mongols pose a threat. Of course with the Turks you cannot trust in your same religion and the Mongols are self-explanatory... Besides that, I think the Byzantines will never reach you unless you go too north with your conquests. Besides these remarks, there is always the sea option. Gather a strongish fleet, fill it with two stacks and attack Constantinople. This will change the course of the campaign and revive your interest in it. Just my two cents.

Yes I am actually gearing up to do that now, still loving this campaign because I am attached now to my great empire. As for the fearsome Mongols, they arrived and never even made it to Baghdad. hahaha. idk what could have happened there. I sent 5 spies and scoured the eastern end of the map. No sign of them, yet their faction is still alive . I am just not used to vanilla AI. I've been playing SS6.4 for years.

CELTICEMPIRE's Avatar Libertus

In my campaign as the Byzantines, the Venetians went into Asia minor where I trapped them between a fort and a settlement.

I believe they are like any other NPC player, in that they will not attack a settlement if they don't think they can win... If i leave Constantinople lightly defended, they will attack it every time... If i have it full of troops, they will bypass it every time.