Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding new editing texture to shogun 2, HELP !!

mhawari's Avatar Miles

Default Adding new editing texture to shogun 2, HELP !!

HI everyone, So umm yesterday i'm trying to add new ashigaru armor to shogun 2 with dds file, and then i save them with nvidia dds plugin DXT1 ARGB 4 bpp | 1 bit alpha:

Then i put in into pfm :

And, this is what happend. Exactly ob the lines already in circle

The question is why that texture is not inserted at the game ? Does i need to edit gloss.map, and normal.map too ? perhaps with varient.mesh ? plz help me.

Default Re: Adding new editing texture to shogun 2, HELP !!

Did you assign the new armor to the specific unit in the units editor?

mhawari's Avatar Miles

Sorry sir, i just wanted to ask Why the crest on armor i made not showing up in shogun 2. I,m just doing editing that diffuse_dds with photoshop.

Lugie's Avatar Civis

Well, you might need to edit the other maps as-well. I'm pretty sure the Gloss map is actually used for gloss now, as in EMP/NAP that was used for faction colors, so you don't have to worry about that.

mhawari's Avatar Miles

A few moments ago I was trying to make it again (This time is Date Clan), but i get the same result here we go :

Maybe of you here can correct where lies the mistake I made, but I think where the problem is located on Texture_colour.dds coz i don't make it.

However, this afternoon I tried with one from Sekigahara Campaign, and i'm get each several part from them. (Sorry coz is not visible, but it becomes apparent when we try to open with photoshop, ect)

And, the result is :

I have finally found their two mistake:
    - i dont do anytihing with texture_colour.dds
    -^^and those call variant.mesh

So the problem is i've never touch Shogun 2 varient.mesh before, and i dont know how to edit much as texture_colour.dds. The question is how do you make/convert/ect such an varient.mesh, and Editing Texture_colour.dds ? Maybe anyone could explain to me.
    Last edited by mhawari; February 07, 2017 at 04:10 AM.

"texture_color_mask" is a map to overlay the "texture_diffuse" color. For example in db you assign the uniform color scheme to the specific faction. So if you have a 'mask' file, this will put the color over the 'diffuse' map that you have specified. A 'gloss' map is just as lugie has mentioned, is the kind of material you are using (reflection of light on the material), for example a shiny metal will have a high white value, while a fabric will have a lower white value (grey). So it's actually a black/white map (at least that is what I use). A 'normal' map is the bump map of the file.

One file can contain many texture files. For example if you want to create a new texture for a specific armour, than you just create a new "tex" (like 'tex_2')file with the specific maps. But you need to assign the specific unit to that texture file. Otherwise it will not use the new texture. That you have to do in the "units_editor" (you can find the units_editor at the Tools section in steam for STW2, it's the assembley kit of CA. There you download it and the file will be in your shogun2 folder under the name "modding". Unzip the file wherever you want and open the "binaries folder" and open "Tweak.Release". Go to "Tools" and click "unit_editor" To use your new texture map add the specific file to the 'working_data" and it to the specific unit_part and open than the unit_editor).

If you just want to replace a texture, than just overwrite the texture maps.

mhawari's Avatar Miles

Okay, I just got to the point now where I opened unit_editor. But I still lay about the use of this application, even I'm confused where to start. if I need to save variantmodels \ unitparts \ japan In his working_data too?

(Sorry but I had too much to ask, but please understand I'm just a learning )

Quote Originally Posted by mhawari View Post
    Okay, I just got to the point now where I opened unit_editor. But I still lay about the use of this application, even I'm confused where to start. if I need to save variantmodels \ unitparts \ japan In his working_data too?

(Sorry but I had too much to ask, but please understand I'm just a learning )

Ok, that's a good start. Now before opening unit_editor, go back to "modding > working data > Variantmodels > Unitparts > Japan". There you can find the files that point to a unitpart of the unit (aka: armour/arms/body/....). Add your new texture of the armour in the appropriate file (for example: in folder "torsos" , you add a new texture in file "okegawa_do" and add a new texture file "tex_new" and inside there you add your files (texture_diffuse, texture_gloss_map and texture_normal)).

After you reopen uniteditor, choose a default unit on the submenu an open it. Go to torsos (you can find that in the right upper corner ("Parts by:")). Find your armour with the name "okegawa_do_tex_new". Assign the other appropriate unit parts to the unit (heads, legs, arms,...), until you have a complete unit and than you "Save as" (right upper corner). Name the file the way you want and save. You can fid your file in working_data/Variantmodels/Units. Add that file your .pack file and add it in db.

mhawari's Avatar Miles

Sorry, but for some reason I could not find unitpart in variantmodel, its only units in there.

mhawari's Avatar Miles

Sir, about that you mentioned, what can I take dds from other games, and then put it to Shogun 2 ? Coz i need several torso from total war Attila.

Sorry, but for some reason I could not find unitpart in variantmodel, its only units in there.

Create the folder "Unitparts" > "Japan" > "torsos".

Sir, about that you mentioned, what can I take dds from other games, and then put it to Shogun 2 ? Coz i need several torso from total war Attila.
    You could, but you need not only the texture files, but also the unit part (but that's more tedious work).

mhawari's Avatar Miles

First of all I want to thank you because you have been giving out the tutorial that is easy to learn. This is great in bebeara minutes I have started to understand the use of official tersubut tool, but still I have problems at the time of entry of the new model, which is still something to do with variant.mesh on Shogun 2. The problem is, where when I put some texture on the model variant / unitpart / torso. I already put it into the folder, and I find that the texture that I made totally undetectable. However, when I tried one texture on one mod called "Sekigahara Campaign", I tried to put the torso texture thereto. And I saw again turns out that this one managed to enter. (See the picture)

The question was about how I made the variant.mesh? if I need to use 3d Max?

First of all I want to thank you because you have been giving out the tutorial that is easy to learn. This is great in bebeara minutes I have started to understand the use of official tersubut tool, but still I have problems at the time of entry of the new model, which is still something to do with variant.mesh on Shogun 2. The problem is, where when I put some texture on the model variant / unitpart / torso. I already put it into the folder, and I find that the texture that I made totally undetectable. However, when I tried one texture on one mod called "Sekigahara Campaign", I tried to put the torso texture thereto. And I saw again turns out that this one managed to enter. (See the picture)

The question was about how I made the variant.mesh? if I need to use 3d Max?
    You have to add the file of the unit part you are adding a new texture in to the working data.
    Look for the unit part in the pack file and unpack it. Add the file to the working data and add the new texture inside the unitpart folder.

For further info about creating and/or adding customized models, I recommend this tutorials: here and here.
    I am planning to create extra more detailed tutorials for creating models and textures for STW2. But I am so busy right now with my own mod, that it's a bit difficult to do it.
    Last edited by izzi; February 11, 2017 at 02:44 PM.

mhawari's Avatar Miles

Thank you so much sir, I've been using variant.mesh randomly on PFM, and now that I made texture can already be detected. Here the prove :

I am now beginning to understand how to add a new texture into Shogun 2, and it is surely thanks to you. Oh I could put some unitpart of Attila into Shogun 2, the result is good, but somehow there are some bugs that caused because a mismatch of variant.mesh, so I decided to memkirkannya again later. Btw umm can I ask you something else? Sir, do you know the mod called "Vastator Unit Style"? I got confused in some ways (I do it because I want to make my own version) one of which is how to order the troops to look more variation. So what do you think?

Here another one :
    Last edited by mhawari; February 12, 2017 at 03:22 AM.

Thank you so much sir, I've been using variant.mesh randomly on PFM, and now that I made texture can already be detected. Here the prove :

I am now beginning to understand how to add a new texture into Shogun 2, and it is surely thanks to you. Oh I could put some unitpart of Attila into Shogun 2, the result is good, but somehow there are some bugs that caused because a mismatch of variant.mesh, so I decided to memkirkannya again later. Btw umm can I ask you something else? Sir, do you know the mod called "Vastator Unit Style"? I got confused in some ways (I do it because I want to make my own version) one of which is how to order the troops to look more variation. So what do you think?

Here another one :
    It looks nice, great work.
    To add more variaton to a unit, you can add different unit parts to a single unit (up to 4). So than the units will a use a mix between those assigned unit parts.
    To add unit parts from Atilla is a bit more tedious. You need to add the unit part model first trough 3ds max (version 2010) and assign to the bones structure of the provided joints of the assembly kit (see the example tutorials).

mhawari's Avatar Miles

so whether here I just need to use PFM alone? or I should use the Release also tweak? (Example in the picture that I can be of V.U.S mod)

mhawari's Avatar Miles

Sir so sorry for oot, but why this Shogun 2 gameplay map is really better than this one.

Sir so sorry for oot, but why this Shogun 2 gameplay map is really better than this one.

I think because the first one is beta build from CA, while the other one is the official build for the game.

mhawari's Avatar Miles

Sir so sorry, but i dont really understand how to add unit name into Uniform_table. like in the picture below, a lot of words that indicate the Shimazu katana samurai (I opened V.U.S mod). I want to ask is how to enter the texture which I made into uniform_table? (Such as the name instance Ashigaru_Inf_Long_Yari_Ashigaru.soldier.unit_variant)

mhawari's Avatar Miles

Btw, how can i get db table ? I mean the raw data. Does i need to open database editot, or Bob ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast