Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is your city/place in Game of Thrones world-map? And which is it? ;)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Is your city/place in Game of Thrones world-map? And which is it? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Speaking of German tourists, and their imperative to blitzkrieg the beaches and annex rectangles of prime sand, where's Majorca? Or Greece?
    You haven't been reading the thread at all? Greece includes Valyria (Peloponnese/Sparta/Argos etc) and Mantarys (Thessalonike).
    Last edited by Kyriakos; February 15, 2017 at 04:29 AM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Default Re: Is your city/place in Game of Thrones world-map? And which is it? ;)

Valyria, also called Old Valyria, is a ruined city in Essos. It is a long-dead city of wonderment, and was once the capital of a great empire called the Valyrian Freehold. It was destroyed by a cataclysmic event known as the Doom of Valyria a century before Aegon's Landing. It is the ancestral home of House Targaryen, House Celtigar, and House Velaryon.[1]

So the Iron Bank foreclosed.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Northerners suck, what do you expect?
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Too bad they managed to snatch the Consecutio Imperii...

Considering that Westeros is a superposition of War-of-the-Roses-Britain with North America (Kent is not a hot and sandy place like Dorne, Mexico is, and the pathologically honest Northmen fit the clichées about Canadians better than those about Scots) one might even draw the parallel between the Westerosi nobles usurping the Targaryen "imperium"/kingship and American conceptions of the US of A as the last successor of the Roman Empire. Given the story of aSoIaF one might wonder when the Romano-Greeks will finally (re-)invade North America, allying with Mexico/Dorne, after ending slavery in the Persian Gulf/Slaver's Bay and taking control of the Mongols/Huns/Dothraki.
    Last edited by Iskar; February 15, 2017 at 08:20 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Essos isn't at all like Europe to make this correlation, but not to be called a party breaker again, I'll try.

If river Rhoyne is Danube, I should be around the smaller river that flows into Rhoyne just to the east of Myr. Or perhaps the one between Norvos and Pentos. I can't imagine how that fits except that Rhoyne is a bit like Danube, except the name is more like Rhine. Free cities are maybe Germany upside down, with a touch of Greek polis and pseudo-medieval Italian feeling. Perhaps somewhere in Sarnor is more appopriate for me. Although they feel more like Russia post Mongols.
    Has signatures turned off.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Aru View Post
    Essos isn't at all like Europe to make this correlation, but not to be called a party breaker again, I'll try.

If river Rhoyne is Danube, I should be around the smaller river that flows into Rhoyne just to the east of Myr. Or perhaps the one between Norvos and Pentos. I can't imagine how that fits except that Rhoyne is a bit like Danube, except the name is more like Rhine. Free cities are maybe Germany upside down, with a touch of Greek polis and pseudo-medieval Italian feeling. Perhaps somewhere in Sarnor is more appopriate for me. Although they feel more like Russia post Mongols.
    I have trouble believing a word you have to say, due to how irrationally angry and primal that red-eyed avatar of yours looks. Not to be trusted!

On that note, you might be right. Then again who knows what's going on in GRRM's head, aside from daydreams about pork roasts with donuts.

I always thought Braavos was kind of a pseudo northern Italian type thing-a-ma-jig, if only because of the Iron Bank. I don't know, maybe some cultural things about it indicate the northern Italian trope as well.

In either case this is nerdy and gay. We should talk about manly heterosexual stuff, like Lord of the Rings.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I have trouble believing a word you have to say, due to how irrationally angry and primal that red-eyed avatar of yours looks. Not to be trusted!

On that note, you might be right. Then again who knows what's going on in GRRM's head, aside from daydreams about pork roasts with donuts.

I always thought Braavos was kind of a pseudo northern Italian type thing-a-ma-jig, if only because of the Iron Bank. I don't know, maybe some cultural things about it indicate the northern Italian trope as well.

In either case this is nerdy and gay. We should talk about manly heterosexual stuff, like Lord of the Rings.
    Braavos is basically Venice with the Colossos of Rhodes added to it.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Braavos is basically Venice with the Colossos of Rhodes added to it.
    With a dash of florentine banking.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post

Those are warm red eyes full of warmth and love and... warmth.

Volantis is sort of Constantinople, they tried to reconquer other cities after Valyria fell and kept calling themselves Valyrians. The problem with Martin's Essos and whole world is that it's unusually devoid of barbarians. Valyrians seems to have assimilated every culture completely and aside from Dothraki there were no other nations migrating west to take advantage of chaos, and Dothraki don't settle (which is also odd, one constant of steppe peoples was that they'd rule and settle conquered nations, not completely destroy them).
    Last edited by Aru; February 27, 2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Has signatures turned off.

^Not quite as bizarre/dumb as having nomad horsemen (dothraki) want to buy horses from the cities

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Aru View Post
    Those are warm red eyes full of warmth and love and... warmth.

Volantis is sort of Constantinople, they tried to reconquer other cities after Valyria fell and kept calling themselves Valyrians. The problem with Martin's Essos and whole world is that it's unusually devoid of barbarians. Valyrians seems to have assimilated every culture completely and aside from Dothraki there were no other nations migrating west to take advantage of chaos, and Dothraki don't settle (which is also odd, one constant of steppe peoples was that they'd rule and settle conquered nations, not completely destroy them).
    There are two other steppe peoples in Essos. Also there are many non-Valyrian speaking and culturally unrelated settled peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    ^Not quite as bizarre/dumb as having nomad horsemen (dothraki) want to buy horses from the cities
    Tell that to the Mongols who extorted horses from the local ruler in north-west Iran in exchange for peace. Being very honorable people, they returned next year and annihilated him.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

^Hm, maybe they wanted to secure the horses needed to field iranian mounted troops would not be there?
    (not sure, yet intuitively it seems strange for horse nomads to want payment in horses, and the dothraki aren't part of an over-horde which might keep some horses for itself and leave peripheral subhordes horse-starved ).

Civitate

^Hm, maybe they wanted to secure the horses needed to field iranian mounted troops would not be there?
    Who knows, I think they went to fight Cumans afterwards so that might be the reason for extra horses.

(not sure, yet intuitively it seems strange for horse nomads to want payment in horses, and the dothraki aren't part of an over-horde which might keep some horses for itself and leave peripheral subhordes horse-starved ).
    Dothraki aren't always united, they often fracture and fight amongst themselves, some of them lose horses in process.

horse-starved ).
    There you go, they just want to sample some other flavours when making their sausages. Different horses - different flavour!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

But I'm not European... I don't know the White Walkers? Frozen zombies of the north here in Canucknadia.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Scottish so it'd be the wild and unruly barbarians north of the Wall for me. Wildlings all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12