Thread: Modeling and texturing a Hellenistic Helmet | Detailed, Real-time Video Tutorial

Default Modeling and texturing a Hellenistic Helmet | Detailed, Real-time Video Tutorial

Mr. Mike Hermes one of the most active 3d artists on Youtube was kindly enough to answer my requests and put together a 2 part video tutorial on how to model and texture an hellenistic helmet.

If you are like me just starting in the tedious world of 3d modeling and you are a total war fan or even more part of the modding community you know how hard it is to find these kind of resources. In fact I dont have any knowledge of a real-time video modeling tutorial on any kind of armour/equipmentitem here on the forum (if there are pls. point them out). On Youtube the things arent very different either. Besides a couple of medieval simple/basic helmets (done with 3ds Max) the chances are you can hardly find what are you looking for. So this is accomplished and welcome on so many levels and its quite a premium resource except its free.

He is using Maya 2017 but the basics apply pretty much the same in 3ds Max. Some tools have different names in 3ds max while others in maya combine multiple tools from 3ds max. But this is basic modeling targeted at the beginners.

here is the 1st part (2nd one coming the next days)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuSd6gv1tKk&t=9s

be sure to leave your comments and likes and check some of his other cool weaponry tutorials ( has some cool sword and different blades modeling as well)

Last edited by Kranos; February 03, 2017 at 08:54 AM.

Default Re: Modeling and texturing a Hellenistic Helmet | Detailed, Real-time Video Tutorial

1. There are plenty good tutorials on cgpersia.com
    2. You'D Better learn Basic things first. Once, you get familiar with tool you can model anything you want. And there will be no need to ask "How to model norman shield" or "How to texture viking armour".
    3. Best results can be achieved by implementing sculpting in your workflow. Maya and 3ds Max have Only Very simple sculpting tools. So, you need to put your hands on special software, like Zbrush or 3D Coat.

But, Anyway, good luck, bud!