Thread: Replenishment system

Default Replenishment system

I'm quite confuse about the replenishment system: the manual says you can replenish only in your capital or merging new recruits, but after conquering 2 cities, I was able to get back every man lost in few turns without getting back to Argos, both starting units and lighter units. After few turns replenishment is disabled even in Argos. Waiting 10 turns to recruit a new one and merge while half the world is declaring war to you it's not the best game experience considering the AI doesn't have this problem...

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Default Re: Replenishment system

Seems like a bug, was it argice citizen units or militas?

What normaly should happen is this. Yes replenishment should happen only in Argos capital city. BUT replenishment starts the turn AFTER you enter Argos capital province. I mean lets say you suffer losses and return in turn 2 in Argos. You will not see the replenishment icon. Next turn though you should. Also there are some reserve units that need 10 turns to be recruited. All battle ready pool of troops though is recruited in 1 turn. You should have such troops available.Also you can lower recruitment time of those reserve units by building various buildings and you can drop this rec time to just 1 even for reserve troops. Another possibility could be that maybe you have built too many barracks? they drain caps from the combat ready units.In this case removing them frees caps again. If nothing of the above works then maybe you suffer from a bug. The best way to be sure is to try to send here the link of your save game for me to check.
    Generally speaking Hellenika is so heavily tested that I dont think such a bug would have been missed. Hellenika is almost bug free. Also in Youtube there are many lets play episodes from subscribers that involve Argos. I have never noticed such a bug in those videos.
    Anyway there is always a possibility for a new bug or conflict and I would be happy to help you out if I see your save game.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Phalangitis; February 02, 2017 at 11:37 AM.

Then why I was able to replenish normally for the first, let's say, 3 or 4 battles in Milos and Kydonia?
    I'm not sure how many turns I spent in Argos waiting for replenishment, I'll check next time.
    I love this mod, but this system seems too much. I can see the point for elite hoplites and cavalry, but considering how long it takes to move an army back home (6 turns or more if I'm right from Crete to Argos and just one for the fleet), that makes the game too slow and complicated.
    That's just my opinion, anyway. You managed to turn the worst expansion into a great and challenging experience!

There is also one more possibility. There are few generals that sometimes do not disable replenishment. Those are rather rare. I could fix that. It is known to me but I let them be, to represent gifted individuals that make the difference in a war. In this case though, the same general should always allow replenishment and not just sometimes.
    I understand your considerations about the replenishment system.It does make the player's life difficult. You can bypass these difficulties though. Use aor units, mercs, send another general with troops to take wounded units back and provide fresh. As Sparta eventually I had to go up north. I sent 2 elite armies one to fight and one to provide fresh troops. Later on you can start the journey home while another army goes up front. With a bit timing and patience it is absolutely manageable. I know it is a pain but it has also 2 positives. It is realistic and brings importance to battles. Not just win but loose as less men you can.It keeps you always on the edge. Otherwise you make a bad-ass army, win, stay for 3 turns and then win again. Yes ai has the advantage to replenish but human player has so much more possibilities by using his brain that overcomes the difficulties. I play on very hard and although I have lost countless times, eventually I have won many campaigns. One of our treaters managed to conquer the whole map in legendary. It is important to get in the spirit of the mod. It needs entirely new thinking and gameplay style. It is almost a completely new game. Trust me after many initial setbacks when you get the feeling of the mod you will not find it so difficult.
    Remember to use mercs and aor.
    Thanks for your remarks and sorry f for my long post
    Last edited by Phalangitis; February 03, 2017 at 08:04 PM.

Oh ok, everything makes more sense now, if there's the chance your general allows replenishment. Well, I guess I'll try another time to plan invasions better and use more aor units, and maybe change to an easier faction but I'm quite stubborn...

Maybe this is a bug, but my units don't replenish at all (due to "recent events"), even if I'm in my capital and only city. Ok, I can dispand troops with 20 soldiers and re-recruit it. but what about my General Bodyguard? Will he never replenish his troops? (I'm using the 5-part Hellenika mod). Thanks in advance

How do you get garrison units to replenish? I have defended a t town with town and barracks units but the units do not replenish even if I have the correct type and amount of population in the region.