Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The King's private quarters

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Default The King's private quarters

This is where His Grace, Robert I Baratheon resides.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: The King's private quarters

In the late stages of pregnancy Lyanna came to visit her husband, her body still thin and supple, though the mound that was her belly gave away her condition. She smiled, playing a light kiss on Robert's cheek, before taking a seat as gracefully as possible. You'll have a boy, My King, I can smell it. She mused, gently rubbing her stomach with her nails, painting invisible swirls about her body. Though I've a question for you, husband.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; February 01, 2017 at 05:05 PM.

Tywin Lannister arrives to speak with the King.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    In the late stages of pregnancy Lyanna came to visit her husband, her body still thin and supple, though the mound that was her belly gave away her condition. She smiled, playing a light kiss on Robert's cheek, before taking a seat as gracefully as possible. You'll have a boy, My King, I can smell it. She mused, gently rubbing her stomach with her nails, painting invisible swirls about her body. Though I've a question for you, husband.
    "My dear," Robert said as he put down the quill he was holding. In truth he'd just been daydreaming for at least an hour, but at least the quill gave him some protection from an angry Jon stumbling in unannounced. "How is the child? I do certainly hope it is a boy." Then, he relaxed. "Sure, ask me anything, my dear."

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Tywin Lannister arrives to speak with the King.
    The Master of Coin was let in.

"Your Grace." Tywin began in his usually gruff tone of voice "I am afraid that I have uncovered some disturbing details regarding the payments made to the Goldcloaks. I levied certain royal taxes upon your lands surrounding King's Landing and the results were bountious. I then set about to distributing these funds in such a way that building projects and security around the capital might be supplied for but...I fear...funds that were delegated to the Goldcloaks seem to have gone missing. Some 8,000 Dragons of your taxes." Tywin continued, showing the King the tax ledgers.

Robert scoffed, "I'm not surprised. Guardsmen are lazy, cheaps bastards. Find out who the corrupt ones are, or even better yet, just round up a few of them and have Payne do his job. I'm sure they're guilty of something." He rose. "By the Gods, I need a Master of Laws," he mused. "Oh, and Lord Coin, how are those cost calculations on the Dragonpit coming along? I can wait almost no longer to break that thing down!"

Tywin gave a smile, or was it half a smile? "Your Grace, I have several recommendations for you. If the Goldcloaks would stop siphoning off my funds in a wasteful expense, I would be able to divert more funds to the Dragonpit project. I suggest naming Tyrion Crakehall as Lord Commander of the Goldcloaks in order to ensure that the funds are not being used to patronize the whore dens of the flea bottom instead of the defense and law enforcement in the city. Crakehall is one that I can trust with funds, unlike the current Goldcloak leadership. I am sure that with such funds going where they need to go and unwasted, I can begin excavations of the Dragon Pit within the year."

Robert sighed. "It's most definitely not going to be Crakehall, Lord Tywin," he replied. "I have not forgotten that you called him a useless asslicker. They say I think with my cock, but my cock isn't brainless. You realised it would be nice to have a puppet Lord Commander, and just hoped that I'd forgotten his name." He sniffed. "Somewhat insulting, to be honest. Now, I expect you to begin the excavation of the Dragonpit come next year."

"Impossible." Tywin said shortly. "impossible so long as the Goldcloaks continue to embezzle funds. Almost 10,000 dragons!" He said, shaking the records. "I only recommend Crakehall because he is a lickspittle. He is one that I can manage, one that I can control. If you won't name him Lord Commander, name him simple a garrison commander so that I may use him to bring others to justice." Tywin implored "I cannot very well cut off funding to the Goldcloaks, regardless of the obvious corruption."

A mother knows such things. Lyanna insisted assuringly. Tell me, husband. Have you filled your council of yet? She questioned, gently moving a lock of raven rain from her face. I'm sure many snakes yet vie for the opportunity to whisper in your ear.

Robert sighed. "No means no. Also, first you tell me the entire Dragonpit project will be incredibly expensive, and then you tell me 8,000 measly Dragons is going to make a difference? I want to hear hard numbers on my project."

----

"Three seats yet remain empty," Robert answered. "The realm yet lacks Masters of law, ships, and whispers. Strangely enough, the only ones who have showed interest in such positions have been Westerlanders. I don't trust Tywin, I'm sure he is trying to surround me with men loyal to him. I told Jon to compile a list of candidates, but he hasn't yet found the time. Mayhaps I should hold a grand feast, or a tourney. Get all the nobles in one place, find out who are suitable myself."
    Last edited by Adamat; February 01, 2017 at 08:23 PM.

"Your Grace, if you refuse to respect my calculations and analysis of the state of the Royal finances, I do not see how I can continue to serve as your Master of Coin." Tywin replied. "Regardless of the Dragonpit project." Tywin's leg tapped in annoyance. He had served as Hand for twenty years, and it was only in the last few years of the reign of the Mad King that he had encountered such obstinence from the King.

Robert raised an eyebrow. An interesting development. "Tax the Martells and Tyrells, if you must," he replied. "That should give you enough funds to both sustain the Goldcloaks and continue with my project, and they will not dare refuse pay." He was tempted to push the Lannister, see if he really meant the threat. It would mean one less Lannister in the capital, but then again, he'd condemn Alyssa to living with them, without his own love. He couldn't do that to her.

"If Your Grace is willing to handle the political ramifications of such a move, I shall proceed." Tywin replied. ​Fool. If you think for one moment this alternative will be simpler to my designs.

Robert simply gestured his hand to the door. "Don't forget the Dragonpit," he reminded Tywin once again.

Tywin rose, bowed, and departed.

You could, and that would certainly bring good men to your guard and perhaps the council as well. She ran her slender finger through her hair methodically. But perhaps you could use a trusted confidant in your council, someone to support your governance, not control it.

Robert frowned. "A woman on the Small Council? Most unorthodox, I do not know how the realm would react to such an appointment." He cleared his throat. "Still, I'll entertain the notion. What position were you interested in?"

It wouldn't be the first time, Tyanna of the Towers was on the Small Council many years passed. Lyanna remarked. I know nothing of ships, perhaps I could follow Tyanna's footsteps as the Master of Whispers? Unassuming, beautiful - who would see me as a threat? Or perhaps you'd see me better fit as master of legality, you are the law of the land after all.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; February 01, 2017 at 09:17 PM.

Robert smirked. "Master of whispers, dear? I thought Starks were too honorable for that." He scraped his throat. "I do have a pressing need for a master of Laws, and having you in such a position would ensure the Goldcloaks stay loyal to us and us alone. Tywin approached me a few days ago about corruption amongst their ranks, and I suppose there is a pressing need for a leader."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast