Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Skagos Campaign

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: The Skagos Campaign

In the aftermath of the battle the cutthroats ensured that the Skagosi dead were in fact dead, most had passed on to the other side, a few had their passage eased by the throat cuttters, while a mere handful were alive and found their lives cut short. Ned looked over those captives from the conflict, he wanted the chiefs and their sons.. and he wanted them alive. For his plan of captives on the mainland to work and ensure loyalty he needed more than a pile of corpses, he needed mouth breathers.

No notable hostages are taken or notable chieftains killed.

OOC: Do we know which direction they fled in? So we can find the Long Hall they went to?

ooc: they would have fled to their keep, or whatever the cultural equivalent is

OOC: I know, but there are three of them on Skagos. Does each clan leader flee to their own keep. Or does it work like a regular army and retreat to one of them?

Poach's Avatar Civitate

The Karstarks did their duty by holding the line as the barbaric Skagosi surged forward. The infantry performed admirably, forming a solid shield wall and giving no ground, though the undisciplined enemy did little in the way of a cohesive attempt to break the line, with each Skagosi warrior acting independently, aiming for a good brawl with a Stark man. The cavalry under Lord Stark swept all before them, crashing through the line and then sweeping round, carving a bloody path through the splintered and sporadic Skagosi forces as they attempted to adapt to the development.

After the battle's end, Eddard would find Thoren and Edwin in the maester's tents, with Edwin's head wrapped in bandages: a Skagosi spear had caught his cheekbone and cut the skin deeply, but besides a likely scar the Maester believed there was little danger.

[OOC: I've spoken with Ponti and they all retreat to Magnar's keep.]
    Last edited by Poach; February 01, 2017 at 12:25 PM.

If we thought you were ugly before. Stark japed as he entered the tent, Edwin was either lucky or skilled, for that spear could have easily claimed his life. They say none of the chiefs are among the dead, nor are they among the captured. Stark remarked, a bitterness to his tone. Their strength might be broken, but as long as their chiefs are free they will remain untamed. Stark looked to Edwin. How long until you'll be able to ride?

OOC: Also I'd like to note that the Northmen shouldn't have outnumbered the Skagosi. They were each about 6,000 strong. Though the points difference was very large.

Unless the "all flanks" make up was the whole army, I assumed it was each flank had those troops.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; February 01, 2017 at 01:20 PM.

Some fell horn sounded somewhere. But from where? The noise seemed to reverberate off the cold stones about the camp. The horn was answered by several more, and shortly after, the sound of screaming men. Battle was upon Stark's camp all at once. Arrows and thrown spears begin to rain down on the camp, several finding their mark in the Northmen. Massive clansmen appear on the edges of near cliffs, though it appeared that the woods about them seemed to be the main point of attack. Why had the sentries not given notice of the attack? The Skagosi were rumored to be cannibals...maybe they had been eaten?

ooc: You've been subjected to a surprise attack by the remaining (and freshly levied) Skagosi) You have no idea as to their numbers. Submit orders, they can be submitted as part of RP.

To me, to arms! Stark cried, as he unsheathed Ice and rallied his Household guard to his side. These, his closest companions that still lived, rushed to his side. Edwin! He called. Form up the lines! The men pulled their weapons while the cavalry and Stark rushed for the temporary stables. Send these savages into the abyss! Stark cried, the furs of wolf skin cloaking him peeking their way through his plated armor. To battle, we'll claim their heads for this! As the battle raged the infantry began clashing with the savages between and inside the numerous tents. Arrows began whizzing through the air, striking targets attempting to enter the camp. The horses were within site, the horn blasted and the counter charge was to begin. Everywhere their was blood and slaughter, the Skaggs trying to kill and the Northmen trying the same in turn.

Orders:
    The infantry moves to attack the assaulting Skagosi, forming a improvised battle line across the camp sight - Edwin is sent to lead these men. The archers attempt to form up behind their protection and bombard the lightly armored savages. While the cavalry rush to their horses, once there they will start a counter charge against the Skagosi lines led by Lord Stark and his guard.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; February 01, 2017 at 01:59 PM.

The Skaagosi onslaught was fierce. Their respective banners of the chieftains were seen, a grizzly scene. A man was being devoured as if before their very eyes. The Magnar was soon among the Northmen wielding a giant bronze axe. It sliced through two men, then a third caught it in his shield. Soon the bronze had been dulled, but the chief had clearly predicted such a result. A small war hammer and a shield were soon after brought to bear, and he wielded it with great effect. Half a dozen men lay dead before him while his tribesmen smashed the northern ranks. It might be said that discipline was the only saving grace of Stark's forces. The formation of ranks disrupted the attack as the wild men fell from single combat to being cut down by a formation. The Skagosans seemed unable to answer the onslaught of the disciplined northerners, even though their initial casualties had been great. Soon it was clear that while the NOrthmen had been bled significantly, the Skagosans would be overwhelmed. Their Chief, Magnar, was isolated in a shrinking circle of Northmen advancing upon him, the Chief Stane was dead, while Crowl had been spotted leading the surviving raiders back into the wood.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Thoren rushed from the tent at Lord Stark's side, falling in among his rallying Household Guard and engaging in a running battle across the camp towards the horses.

Edwin donned his armour once more, hastily fastening his breastplate on and sliding on his helm. He erupted from the tent, cutting at the Skagosi as he went, deliberately targeting those already engaged against a Northman and cutting them down from behind: there was no honour in war as far as he was concerned, a dead Skagg was a dead Skagg. He found his way to the Karstark forces and rallied them about him, forming a wide defensive circle and locking his men into a shield wall with archers in the centre. As with the battle that had just transpired, Edwin knew the North's decisive advantage was in the cavalry forces that his nephew and liege lord had already set off to rally.

He'd pin the Skagosi here, drawing ever more of them in as they sought the challenge of facing down the large defensive body of Northmen, and let the cavalry crush them under the hooves of their warhorses, the Skagosi lacking utterly the pikemen or the discipline necessary to ward off heavy cavalry.

Eddard sliced Ice clean through a savage assaulting him as he rushed toward the tightening noose that held Magnar. All around him were the sounds of those dying and the silence of those dead, the Skaggs were fleeing, their cannibal bravado crumbling in the face of Northern discipline. Crowd could be seen fleeing toward the tree lines, Eddard wondered fleetingly if they had the numbers to return in force.. these hills were filled with raiders and warriors alike. Eddard pointed the tip of Ice at the Magnar from atop his shaggy warhorse, mustering his voice best he could. You are beaten, lay down your arms or be claimed by my blade! The young Stark's armor was painted red with gore, likewise the direwolf and white sun banners were tore and stained.

Magnar let his hammer drop to his side. He made a strange sound, perhaps something in the old tongue? It sent on for some seconds, before the chieftain spat a large, slimey ball straight into Stark's face, threw his head back, and laughed.

OOC: Is that him surrendering or him issuing a challenge? I'm not certain if "drop to his side" means the floor, or that he's ready to fight.

ooc: that's for Stark to decide.

OOC: I meant, did he drop his weapon or is it still in his hand?

IC:
    Assuming he dropped his hammer: Stark wiped the slime from his face, a grimace fouling his lips. Put him in chains. Stark remarked, gesturing to his guards. And put a gag on the bastard. The Stark men at arms moved forward to seize the Magnar.

Assuming it it is in his hand: Stark wiped the slime from his face slowly, the laughter of the brutish savage filling his ears. Stark felt the same strange emotion that descended upon him when Dayne slew Gerold, was it fear or anger? He couldn't tell. All the same, as the man laughed Stark swiped without warning at the hairy beast's leg with Ice, the crimson of its victims glistening on its dark surface.

The Magnar was captured

Once again bodies littered the feild, there were burning tents that men scrambled to put out and the wails of the injured Northmen could be heard coming from medical tents. The smells of gore and bowel movements still filled the air as lord Stark went to speak with Edwin, Karstark accompanying him. Too many have joined their ancestors. Stark remarked grimly. But all the same.. the men fought well. Stark eyed Edwin's fresh scar. Magnar is captured, and the body of another chief lies broken beside his men. Stark took a seat with a long sigh. Only Crowl escaped his fate.. Ned drew the word out far past its welcome. I plan to build a Keep on this island, a bastion of authority to suppress raiding activity. He elaborated, building to something. I would see you as Lord of this Island when that happens, Edwin. He let his words settle over the silence, cold with the taste of iron in the air from the slaughter.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"I'd be honoured," said Edwin, wiping his blade clean and sliding it back into its scabbard, hoping this time it got to stay there for more than a scant few hours, "The populace won't be happy about it. I'll maintain a good garrison of sworn swords from the mainland, men loyal to the North and it's customs."

"We're only across the water if you need us uncle." said Thoren bravely. The boy had seen his fair share of combat here today and it had shaken him, but also matured him. War wasn't the glorious contest of arms many young men thought it to be, he knew that now.

Do what you must do to keep Skagos in line with our interests, I trust that you are up to the task. He exhaled in relief. The ground work here is very nearly done, but I've matters to attend to on the mainland.. further north, by the gifts. He began gently cleaning Ice, the steel required little to no love, but Eddard gave it freely all the same. Between the port on Karhold and the port here I doubt we'll see many slavers and pirates this way again. The rag Stark was using was getting thick with blood, as it slowly revealed the dark gray beneath. There is one more matter, I am unmarried with only a bastard to inherit my titles, I would wed myself to a good Northern girl.. I can think of no House so loyal and brave as yours.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; February 02, 2017 at 07:05 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast