Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Council of the Westerlands

Default Council of the Westerlands

Tywin's host arrived some days later, and seeing the carnage, Lord Tywin called a general council of the surviving lords of the Westerlands. Gregor Clegane was noticeably absent, but Jaime Lannister was in the Lannister party. Tywin had left King's Landing with a new office and a new betrothed, and soon he would return with Cersei in tow to be wed off to Jon Arryn. Twyin would need to set things right in the Westerlands before his departure, installing Jaime as the putative heir in his authority, doling out boons and reprisals, and returning things to a state of relative tranquility. Seeing the devastation about him, he soon realized he may have to take the long way back to King's Landing and pay the Tyrells a visit after he dismissed all his troops.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: The Reach's Revenge

Crakehall aarrived early. He had performed well on campaign and while the loss of many family members was hard, Tyrell would havr it harder eventually.

"Crakehall" Tywin began "It would appear your castle has been put to torch, how did this come about?"

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Council of the Westerlands

Lord Harmund Lefford arrived from Goldentooth, and received the terrible news about Raymar's death from Donnel at that stage. He was deeply saddened, as are all fathers who outlive their sons, but hoped that the sacrifice had not been in vain. He himself had manned the walls of his keep for the duration of the war, the strong garrison proving ultimately unnecessary as no enemy forces would approach the Westerlands from the Riverlands.

"Where is Ryon?" he asked when Crakehall arrived: Ryon had been seconded to Crakehall's forces, and though Harmund knew of the defeat at Fang Hall, he hoped Ryon was not also dead. Losing a son was bad enough, let it not also be a grandson...

"Well, I was certainly successful in drawing off the might of the Reach. We torched Everythibg west of Goldengrove and as far south as Highgarden before retreating. Crakehall was besieged and I was too far away to reach it in time, having taken up position further North West. An unfortunate sacrifice, but one of little not."

"Perhaps too successful, Lord Crakehall." Tywin suggested. If the man had gone too far in his violence, it seemed that it was only he who had borne the full brunt of the retaliation of the Reach. The man seemed untroubled enough by it. "I might not have condoned your methods, but I cannot deny their effectiveness. Not a single army from the Reach appeared to confront us, and the Dornish were swiftly defeated in a decisive engagement and the war brought to a quick end after that."

Crakehall nodded mutely. Over half of his household lay dead over this war. "I find myself in difficulty for the payment of your taxes, Lord Tywin. I doam, uowever, have 10'000 Dragons in spoilsthe from Highgarden toto offer you instead."

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

After the summoning reached the brother Ser's Damon II & Tybolt Payne they also joined the council of the Westerlands. Inside they found their Father and younger brother the squire of Tywin Lannister. As soon as Lord Payne spotted them he walked over to them out of sight of Lord Tywin.

Tybolt had lost his youthful cheer and Damon II had a particular disappointment in his eyes. Lord Payne said "At least you survived. It's something I suppose." The brothers looked at each other in disbelief. Damon II replied "We burned the largest part of the Reach, what more could you want? We drew off the entire Reach-Army and made it possible for your host to take Kings Landing together with Lord Tywin. What more could you possibly want? I even distinguised myself at the battle of Red Lake. Where Tybolt was grievously injured!" Tybolt looked to the floor. Always a little intimidated by his father. In an other age they would call it Autism. Here it was simply shyness. Fact remained he did not respond to his brother or father for that matter.

"I expected my sons not to retreat. To never surrender. To fight in the mountains, the fields, the farms and on the beaches. We are bloody men of House Payne. WE give no quarter. WE do not retreat. House Payne dissapointed house Lannister! the very house you are to wed into you fool." Lord Payne replied. Too loud as he was now sure lord Tywin could hear it. He continued never the less "Get inside. When Lord Tywin adressed you. You apologize for the retreat and offer your life. If you don't I will be the one to put YOU on a pale you idiot." Lord Payne said while being near a heart attack of pure rage.

The three men rejoined the council and awaited it's formal opening. Lord Payne moved closer/ to the side of Lord Tywin as it was not he who would have to explain himself but his sons.

"It can be assessed as a debt, I am not interested in taxing my sworn men into poverty." Tywin responded to Crakehall. If the man was going to make promises he would do well to remember the fate of the Tarbecks who refused to repay debts owed to House Lannister.

Tywin turned to the Paynes. "Glad to see you have all survived." he commented. "I heard news of your wound suffered at the Red Lake. That wounds like it was an honest fight." he said differentiating pitched battles from the butchery for once.

Blog Entries

"My Lord" Both brothers says before bending the knee.

Tybolt however shy got a grip of himself and replied "M'Lord, it was my first major battle. I am dissapointed I could not do more for the betterment of house Lannister on that field of battle." He took a breath and how nervous and shy he was he continued talking "Mmm'Lord" He began with a slight stutter "I will offer you my life for the cowardly act of joining the retreat in the battle against the Reachmen." He finally said while taking the knee again facing the floor. He lifted his head once more "I did not honor the lion to my best capacity. I do not deserve to live anymore." he concluded.

In the face of such a compelling plea for his own death out of loyalty and dishonor. Damon waited a moment. He had to let things sink in. "M'Lord" He finally began. "You said to set the Reach ablaze. We did. I will not deny and you're likely to find it out one way or an other and Id appreciate it if it would be correct in that case. I Impaled and I alone hordes of men on the battlefield, in the provinces and on the homesteads. My brother had no part in this. Fear is a powerful tool and I utilized it to the fullest. Impale one man and it is torture. Impale a thousand and you breed fear M'lord. I am well aware a man in your position cannot approve of it and that is exactly why I did it. I did what a respected man couldn't. I breed fear for him so he can keep his hands clean. If that would warrant a painful death for serving you faithfully I will surrender myself at once. " Damon unbuckled his sword and held it up so that Lord Tywin could grab it and enact justice if he would seem it fit to do so.

Lord Payne, next to Lord Tywin listened proudly. Finally his sons did something he could be proud of. Giving their lives for loyalty. He glanced at his son, the squire and hoped he would learn a lesson or two.
    After Ser Damon was ready with his plea he added. "Tales of your misdeeds have traveled quickly I already informed Lord Tywin on them. It is for him to pass the judgment."

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Tybolt and Gerold Lannister were present with the other Westermen lords. Tybolt would move away, positioning himself near the two remaining Crakehall males. The Lord of Castamere glances at the still glowing ruins of Crakehall. He addresses Tyrion first.

My condolences to the death of so many of your brothers and relatives, Ser Tyrion. As the husband to a Crakehall, I shall offer whatever assistance I can to help you rebuild.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

ooc: I don't see why not

Blog Entries

Feeling somewhat ignored the Payne boys remain on their knee awaiting their faith. Lord Payne next to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Tywin turned to the Paynes. "Glad to see you have all survived." he commented. "I heard news of your wound suffered at the Red Lake. That wounds like it was an honest fight." he said differentiating pitched battles from the butchery for once.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    "My Lord" Both brothers says before bending the knee.

Tybolt however shy got a grip of himself and replied "M'Lord, it was my first major battle. I am dissapointed I could not do more for the betterment of house Lannister on that field of battle." He took a breath and how nervous and shy he was he continued talking "Mmm'Lord" He began with a slight stutter "I will offer you my life for the cowardly act of joining the retreat in the battle against the Reachmen." He finally said while taking the knee again facing the floor. He lifted his head once more "I did not honor the lion to my best capacity. I do not deserve to live anymore." he concluded.

In the face of such a compelling plea for his own death out of loyalty and dishonor. Damon waited a moment. He had to let things sink in. "M'Lord" He finally began. "You said to set the Reach ablaze. We did. I will not deny and you're likely to find it out one way or an other and Id appreciate it if it would be correct in that case. I Impaled and I alone hordes of men on the battlefield, in the provinces and on the homesteads. My brother had no part in this. Fear is a powerful tool and I utilized it to the fullest. Impale one man and it is torture. Impale a thousand and you breed fear M'lord. I am well aware a man in your position cannot approve of it and that is exactly why I did it. I did what a respected man couldn't. I breed fear for him so he can keep his hands clean. If that would warrant a painful death for serving you faithfully I will surrender myself at once. " Damon unbuckled his sword and held it up so that Lord Tywin could grab it and enact justice if he would seem it fit to do so.

Lord Payne, next to Lord Tywin listened proudly. Finally his sons did something he could be proud of. Giving their lives for loyalty. He glanced at his son, the squire and hoped he would learn a lesson or two.
    After Ser Damon was ready with his plea he added. "Tales of your misdeeds have traveled quickly I already informed Lord Tywin on them. It is for him to pass the judgment."

"Rise" Tywin ordered. "If I executed every knight who ran from a lost battle we would have few men left. As for this act of impalement, I henceforth outlaw all such practices from this day forward. There is a difference between burning fields and taking hostages and the gross mutilations I have heard tell of. Damon you shall be placed in the stocks of Lannisport for a week on bread and water only as punishment for these acts." Be thankful I am not as brutal as you are. ​Tywin noted that some men were willing to do anything to be noticed, but that some would go too far.

Blog Entries

"M'Lord" Both men said as they raised. Damon gave his scabbard to his father who looked at him is disgust. Damon II bowed at Tywin before joining the guards that are ready to take him to his cell.
    Tybolt regained control of his nerves and replied to Lord Tywin
    "Thank you M'lord. If there's any way I can serve you and make amends for the lost battle I will M'lord."

Lord Payne observed and was secretly pleased with his liege's reaction. Albeit a little disappointed with the outlawing of impalement. It was him who had studied the methods extensively and brought them over to his son Ser Damon. Not knowing to which extend he would execute it of course but still. Payne took a moment to reflect to the future and spoke before the council. "M'Lord Tywin" He began. "What are our plans for the comming time? Can I disband my levy? do we still need it to react to the Tyrells? "

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Harmund had by now learned of the horrors inflicted upon the Reach by Crakehall and the Payne children. He was deeply shocked at the sheer barbarity of it.

Donnel was unperturbed, recognising that it was gruesome and perhaps excessive, but hardly worthy of disgust or disavowment. Still, he supposed Tywin had to show some sort of moral authority: a week in the stocks would be painful but not life-threatening, Damon Payne could easily afford to hire guards to ensure he wasn't beaten, robbed or taken 'advantage' of.

The family had their own woes, regardless: Raymar had been slain battling at King's Landing. Poor Kyra was beside herself with grief, and Elyana would doubtless be saddened to hear of her brother's death. It presented some issue for Donnel, who would now be pressed into marrying, as he was now heir. He had been getting away with putting off placing suits for anyone thus far.

"Indeed, my Lord," said Harmund, seconding Lord Payne's question, "What of the realm? Of the Westerlands?"

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

"As the Reach has departed, we have no more need of arms. Our armies shall be disbanded for now. I have been named Master of Coin." It stung to say so, it was an obvious demotion from Hand, but he would not have refused the position regardless. "I shall also marry Alyssa Baratheon" Another ridiculous arrangement, for in truth it should be Jaime marrying the girl now. "Ser Jaime has been granted the boon of leaving the Kingsguard with his honor intact, as Robert Baratheon acknowledged that his appointment was a clear act of treachery against House Lannister." Another lie, or a horrible truth spoken in the best possible light. A Kingsguard took his oath for life, and this dismissal was unprecedented and shameful. "My daughter Cersei is to wed Jon Arryn." This was perhaps the one bit of news that wasn't tainted with dishonor or two sided in nature.

Tygett stepped forward. "I am to serve my brother as Shield of Lannisport henceforth, as Castamere has been granted to our cousins to rebuild and maintain. I would suggest that House Crakehall also take measures to rebuild."

Tywin cut him off "My son Jaime will remain in Casterly Rock to rule while I am away in the capital. As true heir his rule shall not pose any danger of usurpation as my disloyal brothers attempted. Ryon Lefford, step forward."

Blog Entries

"M'Lord" The remaining Payne's said in acknowledgement. Ser Tybolt bowed and moved away to disband the levy in his father's name.
    Lord Payne remained awaiting the further developments of the council. The whole war turned out to be a disappointment for Lord Payne. He did nothing but watch, his sons did make a name for themselves however it was to see if that was any good. Considering how Damon II did so.. Alas Tybolt was commended for his role in the Battle of Red Lake but also felt ashamed for retreating during the battle with the Reach. Something good would come out of this though. The wedding of Damon II with Marissa Lannister would take place as soon as he would be released.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast