Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Movie Events + Campaign Intro Video Mod

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: [Submod] Movie Events + Campaign Intro Video Mod

I admit I'm not a good scripter either - I'd rather just leave that sort of stuff to someone who knows what they're doing while I just do 100% 3D art / movies. If it wasn't for my lack of knowledge in that area, this mod would have come out a lot sooner (it was part of my burnout last year).

The "scripting.lua" part of the pack is what triggers the intro videos. The only thing I've added in that script is the stuff near the top which chooses which video should be played for each faction.

Example
    local function OnUICreated(context)
    -- Stephen
    -- initialise lib_export_triggers
    triggers.initialise_let(scripting);

if scripting.IsOnCampaignMap() then

if new_game then

if conditions.FactionKeyIsLocal("rom_rome", context) then
    scripting.game_interface:register_movies("RomeII/moviemod_intro_rome_julii")
    new_game = false
    From what I've seen, triggering the intro videos is fine - I just haven't included the movie files for you guys to play yet. The stuff which I'm having difficulty triggering properly are the movies for the incidents (in the DB tables). I've copied what I did with the wonders and Hannibal event from months ago, yet they refuse to work here for some reason.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I totally missed those lines, sorry, my fault.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

I've finally figured out what it was - the text for the event windows and the movie events themselves now trigger properly. The mod will now soon be released (either later today or sometime tomorrow) - I just need to set them to the correct turn times, set them to the correct locations on the map, get text and some images for the event windows and it's done.

Last edited by Benjin; February 21, 2018 at 02:06 PM.

Patrician

H O O R A Y !

Great news !!!!!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Benjin View Post
    I've finally figured out what it was - the text for the event windows and the movie events themselves now trigger properly. The mod will now soon be released (either later today or sometime tomorrow) - I just need to set them to the correct turn times, set them to the correct locations on the map, get text and some images for the event windows and it's done.
    That's just swell. I you need any help with the requirements let us know.

Looking good, can't wait

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default [Submod] Movie Events + Campaign Intro Video Mod

The movie event example, did you create it yourself? And the defeated environment, did you do it by yourself? If so, IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!

Great stuff! Waiting for this!
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; February 21, 2018 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Double Post

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

After the first release I'm just going to focus on making a lot of new, unique movies attempting to mimic CA's cinematic style, since I haven't had the opportunity to do them yet (along with some other mods not related to this one, of course). I'll show progress here and on my YouTube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by San Felipe View Post
    The movie event example, did you create it yourself? And the defeated environment, did you do it by yourself? If so, IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!

Great stuff! Waiting for this!
    Nah, unfortunately I didn't do those - they're just scenes stripped from one of CA's trailers ("Perils of Empire") as a concept of what I originally wanted to do with the mod (I don't think it's possible to put movies into event message windows... but I could be wrong. I saw something the other day while comparing the Shogun II + Rome II + Attila event message scripts which gave me an idea that might make it possible). But I can technically do those kind of cinematic-rendered videos, especially the defeated environment one - that looks super easy to do since it just looks like a baked ncloth animation (i.e. the flag) surrounded by static 3D objects + some particles from the game along with fixed lighting and a camera matinee (with varying amounts of motion / proximity blur depending on shutter speed / focal proximity values etc) following a specified route.

The harder scenes to do for the movies will be the ones requiring completely new interior 3D art and character animations (however, once RMV2 can export animations, my workload will be a lot less - all of the cinematic animations they used for the trailers are actually in the game's files (e.g. Senators sitting down, angry Senators, General triumph, General walking up stairs, cheering Citizens, ambushing soldiers etc)). Here's a blockout I've just started for an upcoming interior scene I'll be using for a Roman-related movie.

https://imgur.com/a/GlzsU
    Last edited by Benjin; February 21, 2018 at 06:58 PM.

Nah, unfortunately I didn't do those - they're just scenes stripped from one of CA's trailers ("Perils of Empire") as a concept of what I originally wanted to do with the mod (I don't think it's possible to put movies into event message windows... but I could be wrong. I saw something the other day while comparing the Shogun II + Rome II + Attila event message scripts which gave me an idea that might make it possible). But I can technically do those kind of cinematic-rendered videos, especially the defeated environment one - that looks super easy to do since it just looks like a baked ncloth animation (i.e. the flag) surrounded by static 3D objects + some particles from the game along with fixed lighting and a camera matinee (with varying amounts of motion / proximity blur depending on shutter speed / focal proximity values etc) following a specified route.

The harder scenes to do for the movies will be the ones requiring completely new interior 3D art and character animations (however, once RMV2 can export animations, my workload will be a lot less - all of the cinematic animations they used for the trailers are actually in the game's files (e.g. Senators sitting down, angry Senators, General triumph, General walking up stairs, cheering Citizens, ambushing soldiers etc)). Here's a blockout I've just started for an upcoming interior scene I'll be using for a Roman-related movie.

https://imgur.com/a/GlzsU
    You work is much appreciated either way buddy.

I'm glad to see you back Benjin =) the mod looks awesome, can't wait for it to be released!

Besides of any talk about women in antiquity... This is most awaited submod for me. Thank you for coming back and releasing it.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

First release is done! I've play-tested it quite a bit now, but if anyone encounters any problems or mistakes, please let me know.

DIVIDE ET IMPERA

INSTALLATION
    1. Download the "Main", "Intro Movies" and "Event Movies" pack files below. Put them into your "data" folder inside the ROME II file directory (basically where all your mods are located).
    2. Download the "Audio Soundboard + Files" folder and place it anywhere on your computer (do not move anything out of that folder).
    3. Start up the soundboard .exe located in that folder. A window called "EXP Soundboard 0.5" will open up
    (you need Java version 7 or above for it to open - a warning will pop up if you don't have it).
    4. Go to the top left of the window and click on "File". A drop-down menu will appear. Click on "Open" and load the "Benjin_Movie_Event_Cutscene_Audio.json" file.
    5. Start the game and wait for a cutscene.
    Leave the soundboard open.
    6. When a cutscene triggered by this mod starts, a countdown timer will appear starting at "X" seconds. Press the indicated audio hotkey (shown at the bottom of the screen) between "IV" and "III" seconds of the countdown for best audio synchronisation (if you decide to skip a cutscene after triggering audio, press the "Pause / Break" key on your keyboard to cease all audio from the soundboard).
    7. Enjoy!

Last edited by Benjin; February 22, 2018 at 04:41 PM.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

How to install audio files?

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by San Felipe View Post
    How to install audio files?
    Extract the "Benjin - Movie Event Soundboard" folder anywhere on your computer (do not move anything out of that folder). Start up the soundboard .exe within that folder and load the "Benjin_Movie_Event_Cutscene_Audio.json" file with it. Start and play the game.

Whenever a movie cutscene plays ingame, press the indicated hotkey (e.g. Left Ctrl + Number 1 for the "Rome - Julii audio") when the countdown reaches "IV" seconds. I'd suggest trying it on a couple intro videos first to get the feel for it.

It's not the ideal solution, but unfortunately it is impossible to add new audio for movies within Rome II, so it has to be triggered externally.

EDIT: I've added installation instructions to the download post(s).

EDIT #2: Here are all the videos included in this version so far - all done by Malay Archer so far (now that the framework for the mod is finished, I can work on my own as well). More will come in future versions as they are made (hence why the mod is split into multiple files - no need to re-download the same packs containing the movie files over and over again).

Last edited by Benjin; February 22, 2018 at 03:15 PM.

Hi Benjin, I am having probs getting the audio, i can get the video just not the audio. Sooo, i start up the Soundboard.exe and get a white box stating "EXP Soundboard vers 0.5" with a blank box followed by various buttons "Add", "Remove", "Edit ", "Play" etc.. but i am stuck with what to do next, do i need to activate anything in the pop up (press play or add)? How do i load the "Benjin_Movie_Event_Cutscene_Audio.json" file?
    Sorry to ask but i just don't get it.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

No problem! I get that it can be kind of confusing at first, and maybe I didn't go into detail enough on the installation instructions.

Okay so, the ".json" file is basically a save file for the EXP Soundboard application. All you gotta do is go to the top left of the window and click on the "File" button. A drop down menu will appear and you then click on "Open". Find the "Benjin_Movie_Event_Cutscene_Audio" .json file. Once it's loaded, just leave that soundboard open and start up the game.

While playing the game with the mod files enabled (via the launcher), you will be given a prompt (in the form of a countdown before the video starts) to press the required hotkey (shown at the bottom of the countdown (e.g. Left Ctrl + Number 1)) which will then play that video's audio. You should press that hotkey between IV and III seconds so that the audio you trigger will be synchronised with the video that will play out. Try it out a few times with the faction intro videos and you'll get the hang of it. Also, if you want the soundboard to stop playing audio at any point, press the "Pause / Break" key on your keyboard.
    Last edited by Benjin; February 22, 2018 at 04:45 PM.

Yeap. It's a bit difficult for first timers I guess. But you'll get the hang of it after a few tries.

No problem! I get that it can be kind of confusing at first, and maybe I didn't go into detail enough on the installation instructions.

Okay so, the ".json" file is basically a save file for the EXP Soundboard application. All you gotta do is go to the top left of the window and click on the "File" button. A drop down menu will appear and you then click on "Open". Find the "Benjin_Movie_Event_Cutscene_Audio" .json file. Once it's loaded, just leave that soundboard open and start up the game.

While playing the game with the mod files enabled (via the launcher), you will be given a prompt (in the form of a countdown before the video starts) to press the required hotkey (shown at the bottom of the countdown (e.g. Left Ctrl + Number 1)) which will then play that video's audio. You should press that hotkey between IV and III seconds so that the audio you trigger will be synchronised with the video that will play out. Try it out a few times with the faction intro videos and you'll get the hang of it. Also, if you want the soundboard to stop playing audio at any point, press the "Pause / Break" key on your keyboard.
    Before your reply i downloaded the vanilla audio file and scanned the "read me" file as well but i was still having no joy getting the audio. After tinkering around i realised that my number keypad was not working for some reason(now fixed, unplug and plug back in always works) and also i had closed the Soundboard Application which obviously needs to remain open. Anyway the long and short of it is that it's now working. This mod does bring back fond memories of Rome1 and the early Total War era so thanks for that and for your help it's a great piece of work.
    Ps...i almost crapped myself after holding the hotkeys down for too long, i had about 3 versions of audio running at the same time, not good on the ears
    Last edited by FrontierWolf; February 22, 2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: unintential emoji

Patrician

Musics and actings suits perfect btw.
    Congratulations!