0 0%
  • Pretty Good

10 20.41%
  • Excellent

37 75.51%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rate RoM Dale units

Forgot the Text-.-
    Thatīs how I would Imagine the Spaers of the Vineland Watchmen more or less. The Tip is maybe too generic but I think a Staff like this looks more ralistik and praktical.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; January 24, 2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: posts merged

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Rate RoM Dale units

Even just such a minimal doubling of material would make it more tip heavy, which isnīt what you want.
    Maybe on the other end of the spear instead of a counterweight would make more sense.

BTW since CAīs engine has every one handed spear grabbed in the middle, would it be possible to have really long spears with part of it invisible?
    In more detail, would it be possible to model out a long spear, with the actual mesh going beyond the intended back?
    I mean as long as the intended back has a point, it should be possible to have one part of the spearīs mesh invisible without any obvious holes in it.

To further illustrate my point, here a crude longitudinal section:

<==============><=====|

|------------------------------|------------|

Head----------------intended back------actual end of mesh

the part of the mesh which is supposed to be invisible just needs to have nothing as itīs designated texture
    Or did I fundamentally misunderstand how 3D modelling and texturing works in TW?
    Last edited by Maetharin; January 22, 2017 at 02:05 PM.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

In my opinion most units look great. Here are my criticisms:
    The barding marksman don't look the part and i could picture them being a vineland unit especially since they have a rather squid shaped helmet and Dorwinion was known to have tridents as weapons (somewhere briefly mentioned in the lore).

The vineland yardwatch or whatever the bow unit is called needs a new name. Sounds kinda ridiculous. /name them vineland bowmen or something.

The rhovanion regents and the vineland guard just look out of place. Completely unlike anything Dale or the neighboring regions would have. Those units look very greek/romanesque like a generals armor. Kinda against the whole northman look Dale should have. Especially if you consider that the people of the rhovanion are related to the people of rohan.

Lastly the dale captains weapon looks out of place. Probably should have a great sword akin to a claymore rather than a curved scythe weapon. Would look better. Overall I think the way Dale is portrayed looks good. Not how I personally would picture them but I like the design. Good work
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; January 22, 2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Han_Yolo View Post
    In my opinion most units look great. Here are my criticisms:
    The barding marksman don't look the part and i could picture them being a vineland unit especially since they have a rather squid shaped helmet and Dorwinion was known to have tridents as weapons (somewhere briefly mentioned in the lore).

The vineland yardwatch or whatever the bow unit is called needs a new name. Sounds kinda ridiculous. /name them vineland bowmen or something.

The rhovanion regents and the vineland guard just look out of place. Completely unlike anything Dale or the neighboring regions would have. Those units look very greek/romanesque like a generals armor. Kinda against the whole northman look Dale should have. Especially if you consider that the people of the rhovanion are related to the people of rohan.

Lastly the dale captains weapon looks out of place. Probably should have a great sword akin to a claymore rather than a curved scythe weapon. Would look better. Overall I think the way Dale is portrayed looks good. Not how I personally would picture them but I like the design. Good work

Dale wasn't just inspired by the north and Rohan. I mean the easterlings were they're neighbours i think the more eastern/southern style is reasonable for the Dorwinion/southern Rhovanion units.

Maestro1's Avatar Tiro

All the vineland units aren't from Dale but from Dorwinion so they are meant to be different. Same for the Rhovanion Regents that are a unit that comes from the fallen (and in this scenario, restored, as the regents are actually a unit available after restoring Rhovanion) kingdom of Rhovanion, not Dale. The bardings however are more of a unique unit and thus not meant to be fully coherent with the rest. But as you can see they still have the two thrushes symbol on their cloaks and the colours too are in harmony with that of the other units.
    Rise of Mordor: a total overhaul mod for Total War: Atilla
    Writer, rosterer, lore-master and battle balancer for Rise of Mordor

'So do I, and so do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

These guys look more clone trooper than the Uruk-Hai Orcs in the movies. It hurts my eyes trying to distinguish individuals since they seem to camouflage into each other. The units look good, but its so perfectly the same bright colors that they become redundant. The lower class units look like they all visit the same clothes shop run by some immortal tailor.

The lower class units have at least some colour variation. I dont think it is necessary for each of them to wear some distinct fashion style
    As for the rest looking too similar, that is true but that is due to the movie concept arts not being very diverse and helpful for the team I suppose.
    The only humans on-screen with big armor variations were the Rohirrim so it might be tricky to come up with variations for the rest.

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

The lower class units are very good looking and diverse enough- weapons, shields, clothes. There's a limit to how diverse units can be in TW games.
    The higher tier troops can be differentiated more, as I've said before . As far as colours and general look is concerned, I don't like them at all, but this is the fault of the movie designers. The modder did an excellent job in reproducing them for Attila TW.

Also, as Maestro1 said, the Vineland units are from Dorwinion, not from the Dale and nearby lands. It is normal that they have different style.

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    These guys look more clone trooper than the Uruk-Hai Orcs in the movies. It hurts my eyes trying to distinguish individuals since they seem to camouflage into each other. The units look good, but its so perfectly the same bright colors that they become redundant. The lower class units look like they all visit the same clothes shop run by some immortal tailor.
    I really don't get these complaints. You want too much in the short-run.
    ---------------------------------Check out my mod --------------------------------

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

These definitely are some epic-looking units, those Vineland Guards look especially terrifying. I do agree with the minor criticism that the units could use some more variety, especially the lower tiers, but I understand that that isn't where the focus is now.
    Also the captain's cleaver could probably be downsized a bit so it doesn't look like it's come straight from Dark Souls. Apart from that only the Vineland watchmen's spears look a bit weird, could probably do with a few curls less, right now it looks like something my mum would buy as some artsy garden decoration or something.

I do really like the looks of the units though, absolutely awesome.

I love the pikes of the vineland-guards. They look awesome!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    These definitely are some epic-looking units, those Vineland Guards look especially terrifying. I do agree with the minor criticism that the units could use some more variety, especially the lower tiers, but I understand that that isn't where the focus is now.
    Also the captain's cleaver could probably be downsized a bit so it doesn't look like it's come straight from Dark Souls. Apart from that only the Vineland watchmen's spears look a bit weird, could probably do with a few curls less, right now it looks like something my mum would buy as some artsy garden decoration or something.

I do really like the looks of the units though, absolutely awesome.
    agree in regards too the amount of curls in the spears of the vinland watchmen lower that a little please
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by JustDoit8 View Post
    I really don't get these complaints. You want too much in the short-run.
    Nothing to do with too much, the solution to this would be to mix existing Dale outfits between units while keeping to taste. The lack of diversity makes the units overly regimental in style.

If people feel variety is low why not use some of the concepts from the movie ? (If these have already been posted elsewhere, tell me to delete the post)

I love the units, and the inspiration the team took to craft something new where Tolkien left us basically no sources or insights.

The one thing I'll take issue with however is the officer. I think visually he looks interesting and inspired, but his kit doesn't make much sense. He has this enormous war cleaver, a weapon that would require him to have a lot of room to operate, and the freedom to move around. This is not the weapon of an officer, who should be with his men and commanding them, ideally with a shield to protect him from arrows (officer becoming a pincushion is never a good thing) and a smaller sword that can be more easily used to signal his men.

My advice is that you should make a new unit of two handed swordsmen who use the war cleaver, and change the officer to use a sword and shield.

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    I love the units, and the inspiration the team took to craft something new where Tolkien left us basically no sources or insights.

The one thing I'll take issue with however is the officer. I think visually he looks interesting and inspired, but his kit doesn't make much sense. He has this enormous war cleaver, a weapon that would require him to have a lot of room to operate, and the freedom to move around. This is not the weapon of an officer, who should be with his men and commanding them, ideally with a shield to protect him from arrows (officer becoming a pincushion is never a good thing) and a smaller sword that can be more easily used to signal his men.

My advice is that you should make a new unit of two handed swordsmen who use the war cleaver, and change the officer to use a sword and shield.
    Agreed.

Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Exelent work people!!

I don't see sense of making poll because all of this work is remarkable.

Can't wait for mordor units.

Cheers!!!

Pretty good, most were great. A few were too fancy for my likes.

Foederatus

Really excellent units, all around. My favorites are the Dorwinion units.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123