• Pretty Good

20 32.26%
  • Excellent

37 59.68%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate RoM Gondor units

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Rate RoM Gondor units

You can actually see the markings of the tree etched into the plate of the helmetless guy to the right of Elendil.

BTW, as a little idea, what about adding in some LA Dúnedain helmets for the militia and/or fiefdom units?
    If you don´t have anything else, why not use great(times 200)grandpa´s helmet?
    Last edited by Maetharin; January 19, 2017 at 09:01 PM.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    You can actually see the markings of the tree etched into the plate of the helmetless guy to the right of Elendil.

BTW, as a little idea, what about adding in some LA Dúnedain helmets for the militia and/or fiefdom units?
    If you don´t have anything else, why not use great(times 200)grandpa´s helmet?
    Aren't these Blackroot Vale helmets from the Last Alliance era or something?
    Also, all the feedback is good but you've got to understand that we don't really have the time or the modellers to use on making every unit perfect and having heaps of variety. We've only got 2/19 factions done, more factions come first before we go back to Gondor and Dale and fix stuff up.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; January 19, 2017 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    Aren't these Blackroot Vale helmets from the Last Alliance era or something?
    Also, all the feedback is good but you've got to understand that we don't really have the time or the modellers to use on making every unit perfect and having heaps of variety. We've only got 2/19 factions done, more factions come first before we go back to Gondor and Dale and fix stuff up.
    Now that I see it up close, yeah it certainly looks very similar, but the wings are kind of flat on the helmet?
    And IMO there really is no need for any new 3D modeling for Gondor, rather simple editing of varientmeshdefinitions.
    And this can easily be done by sub-modders

"I concur!"

​Me

I'd like to ask the mighty developers of RoM regarding the design decision behind Lebennin marines.

In particular, I am curious about what lead to the choice of the Morion-style ("Conquistador") helmet?
    It stands out from the rest of Gondorian units so much it feels out of place, in my opinion.

I would imagine the marines wearing a mix of chain mail and simplified Gondorian helmets, possibly with anchor decals on the front.
    ---------------------------------Check out my mod --------------------------------

I'm not a big fan a the helmets of the swan knights, I'd rather see a more compact design like this (but combining the wings/cheekguard with a kind of Norman helmet instead of a zischagge like here, so that it doesn't look too obviously copied from a hussar szyszak):

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Quote Originally Posted by JustDoit8 View Post
    I'd like to ask the mighty developers of RoM regarding the design decision behind Lebennin marines.

In particular, I am curious about what lead to the choice of the Morion-style ("Conquistador") helmet?
    It stands out from the rest of Gondorian units so much it feels out of place, in my opinion.

I would imagine the marines wearing a mix of chain mail and simplified Gondorian helmets, possibly with anchor decals on the front.
    I wanted to redo it initially but decided to show it as is and see what people say. Thought if there will be bad critics about it I'll change it to smth else.
    But seems like people try to find all possible minuses in swan knights and want me to make millions of knights versions so everyone can be happy lol.

The Swan-Knights are perfect how they are. I think they're the best Gondor unit you made for the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jox View Post
    I wanted to redo it initially but decided to show it as is and see what people say. Thought if there will be bad critics about it I'll change it to smth else.
    But seems like people try to find all possible minuses in swan knights and want me to make millions of knights versions so everyone can be happy lol.
    Can't make everyone happy
    So, what's your take on the marines now that they've been mentioned ?
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; January 21, 2017 at 03:21 AM.
    ---------------------------------Check out my mod --------------------------------

AlexiosThe1st's Avatar Civis

I quite like the marines as they are. There's nothing inherently wrong with an "out of period helmet" if it's just fantasy inspiration for a helmet. If suddenly they were all wearing brigandine and sporting elaborate halberds it would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by JustDoit8 View Post
    Can't make everyone happy
    So, what's your take on the marines now that they've been mentioned ?
    I'm not happy with conquistador helmets either. So I'll redo it. Some day.
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; January 21, 2017 at 03:24 AM.

I´d prefer Dúnedain helmets, as IIRC Pelargir (I´d call them Pelargir Marines, it´s where Gondor´s fleet was stationed actually) was one of the bigger cities of Gondor,
    with most of its inhabitants having some Dúnedain ancestors.

It certainly better fits on top of a ship than the "modern" Gondorian helmet, as it provides better sight and hearing.
    But the current helmets also look really cool and fitting.

"I concur!"

​Me

Yeah I made the numenorean helmet initially (based on this badass and very realistic concept IMO):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But the result wasn't good enough and was looking more like Stannis' Dargonstone helmets

Each faction should have its own concept.Used 2-3 colors,no need to paint in all colors of the rainbow,no need to make different shields,helmets.Otherwise, you lose the originality of the faction.I work the conceptual artist and understand a little bit how to make concept games.Уou mix in one faction all that could be ,so it spoils all the work.Although the models themselves are done perfectly

I love this artist´s pictures, how he made Numenorian armour kind of Greek at first and then proceeded to make them more Byzantine over the curse of time.

I also certainly liked PJ´s Dúnedain helmets, they combined a practical design with cool visuals.
    Kind of reminded me of Roman Weißenau helmets.

"I concur!"

​Me

Quote Originally Posted by pavel11111 View Post
    Each faction should have its own concept.Used 2-3 colors,no need to paint in all colors of the rainbow,no need to make different shields,helmets.Otherwise, you lose the originality of the faction.I work the conceptual artist and understand a little bit how to make concept games.Уou mix in one faction all that could be ,so it spoils all the work.Although the models themselves are done perfectly
    That's the candy of Gondor faction in it's origin. It has medieval fiefdom system and if you are familiar with this in real life you should know that each lord provides equipment only to his army and so armies are very different when combined under one banner. The few things that make them uniform are same historical (economical, politic, religion etc) zone and another thing is culture and language.
    When think about gondor you should remember that there are mixed nations (northemen, hillmen, numenoreans and rest local folks). While official culture and symbolic is numenorean.
    Game of Thrones show is very perfect at portraying this feudal military system. Each lord has own troops, symbolic, colour and armour.

Also I tried to match books descriptions as much as it was possible: Green soldiers of Pinnath-Gelin, Hillmen of Lamedon, Lossarnach Axemen in chainmail, Hunters&Farmers&Fishermen of Anfalas etc.
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; January 20, 2017 at 01:30 PM.

I understand your motives.But you create the game.It's not reality.You need to do so that was interesting to play.It is the main law of all professional game developers.I would have a lot to tell about this,but I find it difficult to write in English.

Quote Originally Posted by pavel11111 View Post
    I understand your motives.But you create the game.It's not reality.You need to do so that was interesting to play.It is the main law of all professional game developers.I would have a lot to tell about this,but I find it difficult to write in English.
    According to your name I can pretty much understand your native (Russian, right? I speak it too), just write to me somewhere not here. Usually when ppl want to help and got skills they help in little different way, if you want so, ofc.
    The example of "pro work" can be refered to Shadow of Mordor. Some shiny armours here and there but got nothing to do with Middle-Earth eventho they remind some parts of it. At least its my own opinion.

Anyway, since this discussion can last forever until the release date I offer you guys to write what exactly you'd love to see changed and how you imagine it. I will read through your messages and chose most reasoned and constructive to-change suggestions.
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; January 20, 2017 at 01:54 PM.

trance's Avatar Vicarius

The Gondorian soldiery looks awesome, the level of detail is actually incredible. Just looks lovely. And the Fountain Guard? Hnnnnnnnnng. The Fountain Guard has a very aesthetically unique original look, and the portrayal here is flawless.

The Swan Knights look good as well, but perhaps they lack the oomph when compared to the rest of the Gondorian roster, people are probably remarking on them because the rest of the Minas Tirith-style soldiers/elites got this very heavy, shining plate-like look while the Swan Knights look more gritty. Barding is probably the greatest issue atm but I'm guessing it might not even be possible to fix. Wasn't the Dol Amroth knights very elf-like in the books?

Nice work, can't wait for this to come out.

The concept above is good indeed!
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; January 21, 2017 at 03:25 AM.

Yes, I'm from Russia.Where you can write? if not here?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast