Thread: trade ships dos and donts

Default trade ships dos and donts

So 1 trade ship offers how much trade? Is it different from different theaters? Or is it something I do or dont do.
    Is a less then full unit less effective financially?
    Does more then 1 unit on a spot add to the trade value?
    Does multiple trade spots in the same theater add to value?

Default Re: trade ships dos and donts

The first trade ship on a trade node will collect X number of items of the type for that theater (varies per trade type). Each subsequent ship will collect a decreasing fraction of that first amount. Multiply by the trade value of that type to determine how much trade.

financially you get more by splitting up your 20 ship fleet into 5 4-ship fleets and spread them over the various trade nodes, but its a small increase in profit and you are better off keeping it a 20 stack fleet that has any hope of deterring pirates from attacking
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Hover the mouse over the trade route leading from the node. You will see how much. If you have a stack of ships on a node, pull it off, add back, one at a time. Do the math. Its not hard.

Early game trade node dominance can be difficult if your navy is weak. Martha takes aaaaageeees to get ships of the line. 5th rates en masse and used wisely can net you some galleons and fluyts. That can make a huge difference. 4th rates can gain galleons too if you are careful. Its often too much hassle though, so I usually just try to blitz up my tech and econ without trade nodes until I can get some real naval strength.

Choose your battles and wipe out your enemies from a trade theater to maximize benefits. Have a cheap trade ship in each theater if possible just for eyes on target.

Quote Originally Posted by eschelar View Post
    Hover the mouse over the trade route leading from the node. You will see how much. If you have a stack of ships on a node, pull it off, add back, one at a time. Do the math. Its not hard.

Early game trade node dominance can be difficult if your navy is weak. Martha takes aaaaageeees to get ships of the line. 5th rates en masse and used wisely can net you some galleons and fluyts. That can make a huge difference. 4th rates can gain galleons too if you are careful. Its often too much hassle though, so I usually just try to blitz up my tech and econ without trade nodes until I can get some real naval strength.
    Choose your battles and wipe out your enemies from a trade theater to maximize benefits. Have a cheap trade ship in each theater if possible just for eyes on target.
    This man just met a wall they called greatness. and he scaled it with ease. plus rep to you sir once i figure out how to give you ot very insightful ! and yes i boast my countries exportations and plantations first pairing it with taxation due to happiness buildings fairly well supporting my army internally rather then importively from sea trade.

I have 5-6 trade ships with maybe a 6th rate and a a brig with them.. seems to deter..

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Don’t bother building any before you wipe out the pirates. The upkeep costs for the ships protecting them generally exceeds the income generated.

Do do put one in every port to protect against naval invasions and raids. Do use these to transport your armies around a theatre. Cuts down on travel time immensely.