Thread: Prussia

Default Prussia

Winter 1805:

Prussia found itself in a compromising situation, relying on old alliances, new peace and the sanity of their neighbours to maintain its borders. With Napoleon and his French forces ever expanding East into Europe, Prussia knew that it would only be a matter of time before they had to face the grand Emperor on the battlefield. It wasnt just the French that the Prussians had to keep their eye on. Russia and Austria lay on its borders, however the hope that the common enemy (France) would be enough to deter them from attempting to take Prussian lands by force.

With all that though, Prussia was strong enough to expand herself. And in 1805 those plans came to the fore, as Louis Ferdinand Prinz von Preusen marched on Dresden with the goal to take Saxony and assert themselves on the continent.

Writers Notes:
    I am using the LME mod (thanks to the creators for this piece of work)
    I will openly admit my historical knowledge of this era isnt fantastic, so please bare with me if I get anything incorrect
    **As ive added this after my initial posts, I will look to include bigger pictures from now on as these are a bit smaller than I thought on editing
    Last edited by bourboncream; January 17, 2017 at 06:32 AM.

Default Re: Prussia

1805 - Battle of Dresden I

A mild morning and clear fields lay ahead of the Prussian forces as they marched on Dresden numbering just under 2000, ready to take Saxony by fear or force. Standing in their way would be Johann Sigismund von Riesch and a slightly superior force in terms of numbers.

The opening rallies would be fired by the opposing artillery as cannon ball bombarded the long lines stretched across the plentiful field. Saxony would then show their hand first, charging the Prussian artillery, only to be countered by Prussian cavalry. Still the artillery fired, before the Prussians began to march their infantry forward to engage the enemy across the plain.

The Saxon' forces soon found themselves in disarray, their numbers bolstered by Militia, the fierce fighting soon drove them from the field giving von Preusen a chance to envelope his enemy from the flank and cup them in a crossfire. In an attempt to rally his troops, von Riesch would chrage across his lines to encourage his men.... it proved to be a costly mistake as lines of musket fire carved into his guard and the General himself would fall in the midst of the horror.

Sensing his opportunity to strike a decisive blow, von Preusen would smash his cavalry in to the back of the Saxon' lines, causing mayhem and the eventual rout of their army. It had proved to be a costly battle for both sides, but the Prussians achieved their aim, Dresden would now be occupied (but for how long?)

Note:
    1805 - Prussia defeats Saxony at Battle of Dresden I
    Last edited by bourboncream; January 17, 2017 at 06:16 AM.

The War continues....

1805 - Battle of Dresden II

The Prussians had barely drawn breath from their victory in Dresden, when a rebellion had began. Otto Pirngruber managed to assemble a force of 2500 men ready to take back Dresden and re-establish the Kingdom of Saxony. General von Preusen remained in control of his forces in Dresden, however they had been depleted and the prospect of fighting a rejuvenated Saxon' army was daunting.

This time the Saxon' men had the upperhand, they marched on to the outskirts of Dresden and through all the cannon fire, their lines quickly reached the point of engagement and immediatly General Pirngruber attacked with his full force. Musket fire rallied around the field as lines of infantry took aim at each other, the Saxon' cavalry took heed of their loss just a few months earlier, by smashing into the flanks and then rear of the Prussian forces.

General von Preusen watched as his men were cut down across the battlefield, before he himself succumbed, engaging in a pitched battle that left him strewn across a bloody battlefield. The Prussians had little left to offer, those that didnt run, eventually saw lead or steel as the Kingdom of Saxony rose once more and the Prussians were back to square one, minus 2000+ men.

Note
    1805 - Saxony Rebels defeat Prussia at Battle of Dresden II. Kingdom of Saxony restored.

An Austrian Spring...

Breslau; and the Prussians already reeling from the loss in Saxony, soon found themselves at the whim of bigger European foes. A tempered peace with the Russian Empire continues to teeter on the edge, with Prussian diplomats continuing to feed the Russians with gifts in an attempt to maintain their borders at Konigsberg and Warsaw. However for all the effort made to prevent a war with Russia, it would be the Austrians who chanced their arm, marching a 3500 man army into Breslau under the command of Ferdinand Osterreich von Este.

With their resources already stretched, the Prussians mustered a similar force together as Generals Julian Klopstock and Friedrich zu Hohenlohe would be tasked with defending the city and preventing Austrian gains in Prussian lands.

The Austrians came through a small village on the outskirts of Breslau and under the heavy fire of Prussian artillery, they would use their superior cavalry numbers to skirmish the defensive line, forcing the Prussians to form square across their front, allowing the Austrian forces to move themselves closer with little combat.

As the Prussians managed to fight off the threat of the Austrian cavalry, they soon found themselves over looking the advancing Austrians, able to make the most of a slight terrain advantage to engage and dampen teh Austrian spirit. With the Austrian General fearing a break in his lines, he ordered a charge into the Prussian forces, hoping to break them in the middle and allow him to split the Prussian front line.

Fierce hand to hand fighting ensued as skirmishes broke out across the battlefield. Once again the Prussians would hold their own, forcing the Austrians back and into a retreat. It became apparent that the Austrians hadnt the heart to carry on the fight, losing men and horse by the hundred as they tried to flee the field.

It soon became clear that the Austrians had given up on their attack. General von Este signalled teh withdrawal of his remaining men, the Prussians chased down their enemy across the fields of Breslau, they had fought off the Austrians and maintained the integrity of their lands.

Note
    Spring 1805 - Prussia defeat Austria at the Battle of Breslau

Eastern Threat...

July 1805

As the weather warmed up so did relations as the British Empire strengthened their bond with the Prussians, requesting Prussia join the war against Spain which was duly accepted. Further diplomatic improvements saw Sweden break its ties with the Austrians to side with Prussia, a much needed boost.

However with the good, came the bad and notably the movement of a Russian force toward Konigsberg. The Prussians had anticipated such an advance and placed 2 well equipped armies outside the city, so when the Russians marched in, the Prussians got ready for another conflict and another new front in the ongoing war in Europe.

Once again the Prussians found themselves slightly outnumbered as Nicolai Wowk could count on 4000 men for his assault. Generals Braun and Von Blaucher would be tasked with the Prussian defence, for General Braun his task was to hold off the initial Russian advance, whilst Von Blaucher arrived with reinforcements.

With artillery lacking on both sides, the Russians would move in en masse. First cavalry, then musket, their relentless push for a quick victory left General Braun with little time to think. The fighting encompassed the woodland copse and churchyards and although the Prussians held strong initially, they would have to fall back and concede land whilst they waited for Von Blaucher.

For all their extra numbers, the Russians failed to count on the Prussian spirit, something the attacking force lacked. Bouyed on by the arrival of Von Blaucher, the Prussians fought on, picking their fights and winning skirmishes. The Russians pushed again, but when their cavalry failed to make a dent in the Prussian line, their hope faded.

Muskets would scar the air, but with his army dwindling in front of his own eyes, the Russian General would withdraw his men before they were routed, living to fight another day. The Prussians made the most of the Russian retreat, killing and capturing as many as they could. Konigsberg had been saved, Prussia now had another front to fight on....

Note
    July 1805 - Prussia defeat Russia in Battle of Kongisberg

When it rains, it pours...

September 1805 and tensions remain as high as ever on mainland Europe. The French finally felt some pain as the British would land its army in the Netherlands, before moving in to remove the French from Hannover. This had an immediate impact on Prussia as Napoleon himself would march 2 armies into Cleves and surround the Prussian province. There was little the Prussians could do, their main armies occupying their Eastern and Southern borders in order to protect themselves from other threats, they would rely on militia and armed mobs.

Napoleon seized his opportunity, 3500 men, artillery and cavalry made their presence felt and although the Prussians lined up on the field of battle, heavy losses from the minor opening skirmish would send them packing and leave Cleves open to French occupation. The Prussians had lost their most Western land and although Cleves had been segregated from the main regions of Prussia, the impact would reverberate back home.

Note
    September 1805 - The French Army led by Napoleon occupy and control Cleves

Warsaw; See-Saw

Winter 1805 and a bloody year took another turn for the Prussian military as once again the Austrians crossed the border, this time targeting Warsaw, a key territory for the Prussians. 4000 hardy Austrians led by General Karl Phillipe zu Schwarzenberg took the defending force by surprise, leaving them to put up hasty defensive positions as they would face an army over 1000 men stronger than their own.

The Prussians with just 5 pieces of artillery to help defend their lines would soon become overwhelmed as Gen. Karl Phillipe threw everything he had at them. It wouldnt be long before the Prussian centre would collapse, leaving their whole defensive situation in disarray.

General Krentzberg tried to rally his troops, putting up a last stand in a woodland copse, but even the experienced line infantry would finally break under the constant push of Austrian infantry.

Warsaw had fallen, however the Prussians were in a position to counter this loss. Diplomacy would play its part as negotiations with the Russians saw peace negotiated and allow for the Prussians to divert forces South toward Warsaw.

Over 6000 men under the stewardship of General von Blaucher (victor in the Battle of Konigsberg) took position outside of Warsaw, the Austrians had little choice but to take their leave and regroup back inside their own border.

There is no doubt unfinished business here, but the Prussians, thanks to the peace with the Russian Empire, are now in position to defend their southern position against the aggressive Austrians.

Note
    November 1805 - Austria defeat Prussia at Warsaw
    December 1805 - Austria retreat and abandon Warsaw; Prussia reclaim the province

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

That's a lot of posts all at once, bourboncream!

I very much like this AAR - the descriptions are good, the pictures help tell the story, and I think the little notes at the bottom of each chapter are an excellent idea.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Welcome back, bourboncream! This looks like an exciting campaign and a very enjoyable AAR!

The Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2016 are now open for nominations. Everyone is invited to submit nominations here.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    That's a lot of posts all at once, bourboncream!

I very much like this AAR - the descriptions are good, the pictures help tell the story, and I think the little notes at the bottom of each chapter are an excellent idea.
    Thank you for taking time to read

Yeah I often play in bulk patches when I get time, so there will be spurts of updates like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Welcome back, bourboncream! This looks like an exciting campaign and a very enjoyable AAR!

The Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2016 are now open for nominations. Everyone is invited to submit nominations here.
    Thanks mate, yeah its been fun and a real learning curve so far. Will keep my eye on the awards, plenty of reads for me to catch up on.

I like how the Prussian skills are beating the Russian numbers .
    But unfortunately i cant see the images .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    I like how the Prussian skills are beating the Russian numbers .
    But unfortunately i cant see the images .
    Yes I'm not seeing any images as well.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

That is because since June 2017, Photobucket has no longer allowed external links to pictures hosted there using a free account. Many images across TWC (and other sites) have been removed as a result. Unless bourboncream feels like reuploading all the images somewhere else (which would be a lot of work), those images have vanished permanently.