Thread: [UPD - 21 MAY] Closed Alpha - Feedback

Default Re: [UPD - 21 MAY] Closed Alpha - Feedback

This all looks so great...thanks.

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Oooh yeah this is good.

Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here

Hi, I tried version 0.11. I have noted many good new improvements. I love new Pelargir Marines, very good also the quivers for Gondor archers. Very good also the new captain for Gondor cavalry. Very very good!!

I'll post some points that I would change:

Gondor:
    1) Banners are too long
    2) Gondor cavalry should be without shields or with new oval cavalry shields. Not with rectangular infantry shields
    3) I see a lot of spear units with only scabbards at their waists, but without swords. Add also swords, not only scabbards.
    4) I love new metal armours for Dol Amroth knights, but maybe would be better more helmet variety. I've seen a fantastic rendering of Robbie Mcsweeney on that.
    5) New caracteristic axes for axemen of Lossarnach, and why not some Gondor helmet for them?
    6) Fountain Guard pikes are too too long, and the spearheads are too big. Add swords at the waist and during close combat. The pike length should be the minimum to allow the switch between pike and sword during the combat.
    7) Consider add Faramir helmet for some captains
    8) All citadel guards have beards, add more variety.
    9) Consider citadel guard cavalry
    10) Add horse head protection also for gondor cavalry, like in the movie
    11) I dream a new elite unit: Fountain guards with spears and shields, should be consdidered the Royal Guard.

Easterlings:
    1) Add scabbards and scimitars, not only right swords.
    2) Archers should have more oriental curved bows
    3) The armour, specially on arms and shoulders is too high and prominent

Isengard:
    1) Add more helmet variety for isengard, mostly for captains. Add white hands and in different sites.
    2) Add new caracteristc helmets for crossbowmen, not infantry helmets.
    3) Try to add dark blood

Dale:
    1) I don't like berserker style of Dale captains, I would prefer them with cloak, sword and shield.
    2) Laketown guard's spears are too short. Add a scimitar on their waist.
    3) Why not Laketown archers, swordsmen, knights..?
    4) Add scabbards and swords on spear units, add only scabbards on sword units.
    5) Cavalry units that have swords shouldn't have a second sword at the waist, but only a scabbard.
    6) Consider add the prototype helmet seen in the The Hobbit artbook

The new font is very nice but difficult to read

Thank you, kind regards and good job!
    Last edited by Drag0; May 23, 2017 at 03:40 AM.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Quote Originally Posted by Drag0 View Post
    Hi, I tried version 0.11. I have noted many good new improvements. I love new Pelargir Marines, very good also the quivers for Gondor archers. Very good also the new captain for Gondor cavalry. Very very good!!

I'll post some points that I would change:

Gondor:
    1) Banners are too long
    2) Gondor cavalry should be without shields or with new oval cavalry shields. Not with rectangular infantry shields
    3) I see a lot of spear units with only scabbards at their waists, but without swords. Add also swords, not only scabbards.
    4) I love new metal armours for Dol Amroth knights, but maybe would be better more helmet variety. I've seen a fantastic rendering of Robbie Mcsweeney on that.
    5) New caracteristic axes for axemen of Lossarnach, and why not some Gondor helmet for them?
    6) Fountain Guard pikes are too too long, and the spearheads are too big. Add swords at the waist and during close combat. The pike length should be the minimum to allow the switch between pike and sword during the combat.
    7) Consider add Faramir helmet for some captains
    8) All citadel guards have beards, add more variety.
    9) Consider citadel guard cavalry
    10) Add horse head protection also for gondor cavalry, like in the movie
    11) I dream a new elite unit: Fountain guards with spears and shields, should be consdidered the Royal Guard.

Easterlings:
    1) Add scabbards and scimitars, not only right swords.
    2) Archers should have more oriental curved bows
    3) The armour, specially on arms and shoulders is too high and prominent

Isengard:
    1) Add more helmet variety for isengard, mostly for captains. Add white hands and in different sites.
    2) Add new caracteristc helmets for crossbowmen, not infantry helmets.
    3) Try to add dark blood

Dale:
    1) I don't like berserker style of Dale captains, I would prefer them with cloak, sword and shield.
    2) Laketown guard's spears are too short. Add a scimitar on their waist.
    3) Why not Laketown archers, swordsmen, knights..?
    4) Add scabbards and swords on spear units, add only scabbards on sword units.
    5) Cavalry units that have swords shouldn't have a second sword at the waist, but only a scabbard.
    6) Consider add the prototype helmet seen in the The Hobbit artbook

The new font is very nice but difficult to read

Thank you, kind regards and good job!
    Nice to see such a good feedback.

1.) It's of pike's length (5 meters). I believe in Medieval 2 banners were even longer. I'll look on other's opinion about this matter and see if it needs to be changed.
    2.) See no reason to replace the shields.
    3.) Must be a mistake as we gave swords almost to every unit in the roster.
    4.) Not really eager to work on this unit anymore.
    5.) I didn't change Lossarnach units. Perhaps I will look if the helmet needs to be replaced but I'm not interested in doing an axe.
    6.) Yeah I agree their pikes are too long. Wanted to changed it but it takes time to re-balance while no one is available to do that.
    7.) At some point we will be adding new units to Gondor (far down the road). The Faramir's armour is planned to be used for elites for Ithilien (maybe in form of submod for RoM when Ithilien was not ruined yet).
    8.) Didn't know they all have beards. Will check.
    9.) Nah, no point.
    10.) There actually is. Swan knights have metal version of this armour while gondor cavalry horses have leather version.
    11.) Nah, such unit is not planned. We have few more units to do in the future (far far future) and it's definitely not going to be a version of Citadel Guards or Fountain Guards.

Rhun, Harad and Isengard. Perhaps we had to mention it somewhere but those evil units are added for only one purpose - players don't want to fight Dale vs Gondor. Most of evil units are not even nearly finished, they've been put at a stage we had them completed. Again, just for better gameplay experience.

Dale hasn't been looked thru as Enpremi is even busier than me.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

GREAT improvement guys!!!!!!!!!!!
    no stat/balance changes?
    Last edited by ♔atthias♔; May 23, 2017 at 01:42 PM.
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jox View Post

1.) It's of pike's length (5 meters). I believe in Medieval 2 banners were even longer. I'll look on other's opinion about this matter and see if it needs to be changed.
    5.) I didn't change Lossarnach units. Perhaps I will look if the helmet needs to be replaced but I'm not interested in doing an axe.
    6.) Yeah I agree their pikes are too long. Wanted to changed it but it takes time to re-balance while no one is available to do that.
    7.) At some point we will be adding new units to Gondor (far down the road). The Faramir's armour is planned to be used for elites for Ithilien (maybe in form of submod for RoM when Ithilien was not ruined yet).
    9.) Nah, no point.
    10.) There actually is. Swan knights have metal version of this armour while gondor cavalry horses have leather version.
    11.) Nah, such unit is not planned. We have few more units to do in the future (far far future) and it's definitely not going to be a version of Citadel Guards or Fountain Guards.

Rhun, Harad and Isengard. Perhaps we had to mention it somewhere but those evil units are added for only one purpose - players don't want to fight Dale vs Gondor. Most of evil units are not even nearly finished, they've been put at a stage we had them completed. Again, just for better gameplay experience.

I agree on the tapered shields part, that's what cavalry would have used to allow better movement. Either that or small round shields like Rohan, but those would be better suited for Rohan.

Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here

Personal opinion, but I agree with Drag0. The gondor banners featured in the most recent post of this thread you supplied with pictures shows a banner pike nearly three times the size of the soldier. Seems unrealistic.

9.) Nah, no point.

Thank you for your detailed answer. But I would speak about some points:

1) Ok
    2) Rectangular shields aren's appropriate for cavalry units. Gondor hasn't got a big cavalry culture, so in the movie we can see Gondor Cavalry without shields, would be strange to see gondor cavalry with big and rectangular infantry shields. Gondor cavalry without shields and less defence should also give more balancing and more importance to Dol Amroth knights. Gondor cavalry should be a shock unit with spear and sword in close combat and not much defense.
    If you want shield for this unit make an oval cavalry shields, like roman cavalry shields for example.
    3) Appear only scabbards without swords on the waist of spear units.
    4) Ok
    5) Ok, but actual axes are too vikings
    6) Ok perfect
    7) Ok
    8) Ok
    9) Ok
    10) Gondor cavalry horses have got only bridles on their heads. They should have metal protections like we see in the movie. If add this protection could put Gondor cavalry and Dol Amroth cavalry at the same level, make a better horse armour for Dol Amroth cavalry.
    11) Ok, but I keep dreaming fountain guards with spears and shields

And I add a new point:

12) Ithilien rangers could have the quiver on the back, not on the waist

Thank you Mr. Jox, kind regards and good job!

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

2.) Okay it makes sense then.
    3.) I don't remember but we could remove swords on purpose. IIRC swords were bugged for that kind of unit.
    5.) Maybe one day
    10.) It must be a database mistake. This is how my horse looks in editor:
    11.) All of the assets I have made so far will allow you to combine parts of different units to get one you want.
    12.) Impossible due to animations. Archer will keep taking arrows from the waist and not it's back. It's fixable but will require a lot of work on new animations.

2.) Okay it makes sense then.
    3.) I don't remember but we could remove swords on purpose. IIRC swords were bugged for that kind of unit.
    5.) Maybe one day
    10.) It must be a database mistake. This is how my horse looks in editor:
    11.) All of the assets I have made so far will allow you to combine parts of different units to get one you want.
    12.) Impossible due to animations. Archer will keep taking arrows from the waist and not it's back. It's fixable but will require a lot of work on new animations.
    Ok, all is clear
    I will search a tutorial to combine weapons of different units, can you suggest me one?

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Drag0 View Post
    Ok, all is clear
    I will search a tutorial to combine weapons of different units, can you suggest me one?
    I'll be making a huge 25 part tutorial in a month and a half or so on how to make a custom battle overhaul like Rise of Mordor step by step. Until then though, use this tutorial. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Unit-Creation

Magnar's tutorials are also very good. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...948lmmOuxRd66q

Basically, you need the tools PFM, Notepad++ and the Assembly Kit. It's quite easy to switch around the models and stuff, but you'll also have to edit animations and stats (still easy, just a bit more complex)
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 27, 2017 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    I'll be making a huge 25 part tutorial in a month and a half or so on how to make a custom battle overhaul like Rise of Mordor step by step. Until then though, use this tutorial. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Unit-Creation

Magnar's tutorials are also very good. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...948lmmOuxRd66q

Basically, you need the tools PFM, Notepad++ and the Assembly Kit. It's quite easy to switch around the models and stuff, but you'll also have to edit animations and stats (still easy, just a bit more complex)
    thank you so much, I'll try, though pass from dentistry to modding could be very hard

Nikoline's Avatar Foederatus

SO sad I didn't get the access this time.I did the first time closed-alpha when I'm still very active in the thread.College work is getting more serious which makes me can't post like I did before,but I believe there's an open alpha after closed one for me to test and make some feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoline View Post
    SO sad I didn't get the access this time.I did the first time closed-alpha when I'm still very active in the thread.College work is getting more serious which makes me can't post like I did before,but I believe there's an open alpha after closed one for me to test and make some feedback?
    If you were given access to the last closed alpha, you'll have access to this patch as well. Just go to the Google Drive link you were sent, and the new pack is there. Or just ask Mr.Jox (if you were indeed given access to the last closed version).

Some feedback.
    Pike:
    1.Nobody die when they directly charge into the front of pike infantry(I noticed even elves die when they charge into uruk's pike in Helm's deep)
    2.Pike infantry is really weak,if they only mean to hold the line but not to kill people,both Fountain Guard and Uruk pike is not worth such high cost.
    3.Vineland Watchman is soooooooooooooooooo weak.It kills only 20 Uruk even it charged right into their pikes,and they broke up fast.
    BOW:
    1.Elves archers' one handed sword has more damage than elves two handed sword?(Maybe it's on purpose)
    2.825 Dragon Fire wins neither in melee nor missile against 575 Elves archers.
    3.Elves archers can be more expensive while increasing rate of fire and damage,right now they are not such skillful like they do in movie(Just my own opinion)In fact,elves archer is so good even though it cost only 575.,but not good enough!

BTW,the weapon models is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoline View Post
    Some feedback.
    BOW:
    1.Elves archers' one handed sword has more damage than elves two handed sword?(Maybe it's on purpose)
    2.825 Dragon Fire wins neither in melee nor missile against 575 Elves archers.
    3.Elves archers can be more expensive while increasing rate of fire and damage,right now they are not such skillful like they do in movie(Just my own opinion)In fact,elves archer is so good even though it cost only 575.,but not good enough!
    We haven't made any elf units yet, are you using one of these packs? They're not balanced for Rise of Mordor http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=902039224 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=924001975
    If you're talking about this pack, it's outdated and we've got a different balancing system now. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ing-(01-12-16)

Yes,I'm using the LOTR GALADHRIM ELVES pack and RoM closed alpha v0.11.I will disable the Elves pack and test again.Sorry for the wrong feedback.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Concerning the Gondor cavalry shields, I dislike both the militia and the infantry shield for them, I suggest giving them shields like the DA knights are using.
    I´ve taken the liberty of creating a pack file to emphasise my point
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think these would fit movie aesthetics, and could f.e. also be used for other Gondor units.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    Concerning the Gondor cavalry shields, I dislike both the militia and the infantry shield for them, I suggest giving them shields like the DA knights are using.

I think these would fit movie aesthetics, and could f.e. also be used for other Gondor units.
    Agreed for the cavalry at least. It'd be good to keep the variety we have for other Gondor units perhaps, which ones were you thinking of giving this shield to?

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post

I absolutely agree with you! If you can, send me your pack file.