Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: [UPD - 21 MAY] Closed Alpha - Feedback

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Re: Closed Alpha - Feedback

Thank you for all the feedback everyone. Here is everything that I’ve noted down.

The most common response was that whilst there is a large amount of variation between units, there’s a lack of variation within units as all the men in a unit look pretty much the same. This especially applies to Dale. http://i.imgur.com/iSbfXzs.jpg Now for random pieces of feedback.

ALL FACTIONS:
    - Banners should be more visible/bigger
    - Put a unit cap on elite units such as Fountain Guard
    - Cavalry units should have small round shields or tapered shields
    - Officers should stand out more with different coloured cloaks, shields and plumes on their helmets
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...6&d=1484816677 and http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...9&d=1484816759
    - Horses should have more detail, such as caparison and barding
    - More details on the low tier units like spear militia, especially on the bodies, for example adding dirt and small features
    - Perhaps equip 10% of the men in a unit with a banner (16 men on Ultra unit size in a Gondor unit)
    - All sword units should have scabbards at their waists, and spear/pike units should have a sword in the scabbard at their waist.
    - There should be more beard variety, but also not every unit needs a beard

GONDOR
    - Pelargir marines are too anonymous, add more details, more gondorian shields and add representative wings on his helmets
    - Gondor citadel guard is great, but could be perfect with a little detail: Let see a bit of armor, on the back, curving a little the cloak. You can see this detail in the movie, when Denethor meet Boromir in Osgiliath
    - The Fountain Guard pikes are too long, and the spearheads are too big
    - Gondor cavalry captain could be like a citadel guard but without cloak, like we see in the movie
    - Gondor captains should have Faramir’s helmet.
    - Consider add citadel guard cavalry
    - The Knights of the Silver Swan should have a numenorean helmet rather than a chainmail hood

DALE
    - The berserker style of Dale captains is weird, it’d be better with them using a sword and shield with a cloak
    - Laketown Guard spears are too short, and they should have scimitars at their waists
    - Laketown Guard have clipping issues with their forehead and helmet
    - There should be Laketown archers
    - Vineland units have bland helmets, with a lack of colour
    - Bardings should have gloves

BALANCING FEEDBACK
    - Uruk-hai Infantry: more attack, less defence, larger units scales (120 uruk hai against 80 men) less armour;
    - Dragon's Skin: less defence, less attack more armour-piercing damage and less standard damage;
    - Haradrim Swordsmen: more attack, more defence more armour more AP damage and less standard damage;
    - Gondor Cavalry should be considered like shock and not like spear cav, switching between spear to sword in prolong melee.
    - Morale, Health and Unit Sizes need to be looked at in-depth.
    - Cavalry have too much health
    - Make missile units shoot faster but you’d have to balance this as well. Maybe lower damage, but more ammunition or lower unit size.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    Thank you for all the feedback everyone. Here is everything that I’ve noted down.

The most common response was that whilst there is a large amount of variation between units, there’s a lack of variation within units as all the men in a unit look pretty much the same. This especially applies to Dale. http://i.imgur.com/iSbfXzs.jpg Now for random pieces of feedback.

ALL FACTIONS:
    - Officers should stand out more with different coloured cloaks, shields and plumes on their helmets
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...6&d=1484816677 and http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...9&d=1484816759
    - More details on the low tier units like spear militia, especially on the bodies, for example adding dirt and small features
    - Perhaps equip 10% of the men in a unit with a banner (16 men on Ultra unit size in a Gondor unit)
    - All sword units should have scabbards at their waists, and spear/pike units should have a sword in the scabbard at their waist.

GONDOR
    - Pelargir marines are too anonymous, add more details, more gondorian shields and add representative wings on his helmets
    - Gondor citadel guard is great, but could be perfect with a little detail: Let see a bit of armor, on the back, curving a little the cloak. You can see this detail in the movie, when Denethor meet Boromir in Osgiliath
    - Gondor cavalry captain could be like a citadel guard but without cloak, like we see in the movie
    - The Knights of the Silver Swan should have a numenorean helmet rather than a chainmail hood

DALE
    - The berserker style of Dale captains is weird, it’d be better with them using a sword and shield with a cloak
    - Laketown Guard spears are too short, and they should have scimitars at their waists

BALANCING FEEDBACK
    - Uruk-hai Infantry: more attack, less defence, larger units scales (120 uruk hai against 80 men) less armour;
    - Dragon's Skin: less defence, less attack more armour-piercing damage and less standard damage;
    - Haradrim Swordsmen: more attack, more defence more armour more AP damage and less standard damage;
    - Gondor Cavalry should be considered like shock and not like spear cav, switching between spear to sword in prolong melee.
    - Make missile units shoot faster but you’d have to balance this as well. Maybe lower damage, but more ammunition or lower unit size.
    agree whit all of them
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Would it be at all possible to get a copy of the closed alpha to fiddle with so I can post some feedback XD?

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

BALANCING FEEDBACK
    Concerning this, what about increasing shield missile defence across theboard to compensate without reducing damage to unshielded and unarmoured units?
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Icon10 Re: Closed Alpha - Feedback

ALL FACTIONS:

GONDOR

DALE

BALANCING FEEDBACK
    I agree with you
    Last edited by Drag0; March 03, 2017 at 06:28 AM.

So people on ModDB are arguing about the Ithilien Ranger and the fact that they're not "Elite". I'd like to explain a few things from my end. I've never read the books, only watched the films.

Here are the stats of Gondor's four archer units in my current pack. Its probably different from what the Youtubers are using.

So Ithilien Rangers and Blackroot Vale Archers are both Tier 2, but as you can see the Ithlien Rangers are actually better than them (and in some ways better than Gondor Archers).
    Morale and Health will probably be reworked in the future for all units, but Ithilien Rangers are meant to have slightly more morale than Blackroot Vale because they're Dunedain, and the same or slightly more health because of the same reason.
    The reason Ithilien Rangers have lower health is a mistake on my part.

They have terrible armour because it's just leather, but this armour also means they are very fast.
    Because they're classed as a "Ranger", they do not suffer the melee attack, melee defence and charge bonus modifiers that affect all other archers. They also get +3 ammunition.
    In addition they have better melee damage because they use a longsword rather than a shortsword.
    They also have better accuracy (which is a hidden stat due to lack of room in the UI). Gondor Bow Militia 19, Blackroot Archers 28, Gondor Archers 36, Ithilien Rangers 38.

The biggest difference between them and normal archers however is their attributes. They can remain hidden on any terrain unless a unit is pretty much right in front of them, AND they can fire whilst staying hidden. On top of guerrilla deployment and their fast speed, they can be an extremely effective hit and run force.

Edit: The reason Rhovanion Rangers don't have these hit and run attributes is their unit model stretches really badly when crouched. Hopefully this will be fixed.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; March 09, 2017 at 07:20 PM.

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

So people on ModDB are arguing about the Ithilien Ranger and the fact that they're not "Elite". I'd like to explain a few things from my end. I've never read the books, only watched the films.

Here are the stats of Gondor's four archer units in my current pack. Its probably different from what the Youtubers are using.

So Ithilien Rangers and Blackroot Vale Archers are both Tier 2, but as you can see the Ithlien Rangers are actually better than them (and in some ways better than Gondor Archers).
    Morale and Health will probably be reworked in the future for all units, but Ithilien Rangers are meant to have slightly more morale than Blackroot Vale because they're Dunedain, and the same or slightly more health because of the same reason.
    The reason Ithilien Rangers have lower health is a mistake on my part.

They have terrible armour because it's just leather, but this armour also means they are very fast.
    Because they're classed as a "Ranger", they do not suffer the melee attack, melee defence and charge bonus modifiers that affect all other archers. They also get +3 ammunition.
    In addition they have better melee damage because they use a longsword rather than a shortsword.
    They also have better accuracy (which is a hidden stat due to lack of room in the UI). Gondor Bow Militia 19, Blackroot Archers 28, Gondor Archers 36, Ithilien Rangers 38.

The biggest difference between them and normal archers however is their attributes. They can remain hidden on any terrain unless a unit is pretty much right in front of them, AND they can fire whilst staying hidden. On top of guerrilla deployment and their fast speed, they can be an extremely effective hit and run force.

Edit: The reason Rhovanion Rangers don't have these hit and run attributes is their unit model stretches really badly when crouched. Hopefully this will be fixed.
    I'm glad this has been cleared up, thanks for the clarification!

Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here

Citizen

thanks for the explanation

D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Citizen

when can we get the new balance patch?
    Last edited by ♔atthias♔; April 04, 2017 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    hen can we get the new balance patch?
    I can't remember what I changed but I don't think I changed much. Your pack is pretty much the same as the current team one.

Citizen

I can't remember what I changed but I don't think I changed much. Your pack is pretty much the same as the current team one.
    OK

What about a Sauron in custom battles as unit like in Third Age Total War?

Sauron will be playable as a character in faction's politics, not as a unit. I don't think the team is going to change that.
    Last edited by Polemaios; April 11, 2017 at 02:45 PM.

Want a Front Page Announcement? Here's how to get one!
    Contact the News Team here

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Polemaios View Post
    Sauron will be playable as a character in faction's politics, not as a unit. I don't think the team is going to change that.
    Are you sure? I haven't heard much about it recently but it would be a bummer to not see him on the battlefield. I'm almost positive he will appear there. A model for him is being made, I think the helmet was previewed a while back.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/total-war-...s/saurons-helm
    Last edited by Alkar; April 11, 2017 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemaios View Post
    We haven't really decided yet but if he does get into battles he'll probably just be the officer of a unit, eg Morannon Guards or something.
    Unless we can work out how to create those awesome Area of Effect attacks he has, in which case he could be a one man army.

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

It would be a shame to not have him as a fighting unit, I think that would add much to the atmosphere of the game.

What to do to get access to the closed alpha ?

Quote Originally Posted by Max11111 View Post
    What to do to get access to the closed alpha ?
    Be a big Youtuber, preferably with a non-English channel or be a fan who we've noticed.
    Or have skills we need such as 3D modelling, and join the team.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Default Re: [UPD - 21 MAY] Closed Alpha - Feedback

A new RoM Closed Alpha patch is out.

A list of changes:

- Improved Ringlo, Blackroot, Swan and Lebennin units;
    - Improved Gondor banners;
    - A bit of Gondor horse armour is added;
    - Some database and balancing related changes;
    - Added Easterling Bowmen (Dragon's Fire), Uruk-Hai Crossbowmen and Southron Cavalry. No new armour, just new classes of units for better gameplay experience;
    - New lotr font;
    - Some UI tweaks.

Everyone who had an access to Closed Alpha should be able to find new version on the same gdrive storage (file version v0.11)

New Units

Tier 2 - Southron Cavalry

Tier 3 - Uruk-hai Crossbows

Tier 3 - Dragon's Fire

Gondor's Stylish New Looks

Gondor's New Banners

(New Look) Ringlo Vale Men-at-Arms

(New Look) Anfalas Coastlevies

(New Look) Pelargir Marines

(New Look) Blackroot Vale Archers

(New Look) Knights of the Silver Swan

(New Look) Knights of the Silver Swan

Lord of the Rings Font

This is a reminder that the Rise of Mordor team is looking for
    3D Unit Modellers
    3D Environment Modellers
    Animators

Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 21, 2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added extra screenshots

Default Re: [UPD - 21 MAY] Closed Alpha - Feedback

Definetly an improvement !