Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New appreciation for this game...

Default Re: New appreciation for this game...

This is my favorite total war game. I absolutely love the art direction of this game. When I watch the EGX reveal I was blown away after Rome II Didn't expect so much quality from CA. I read that the team behind Shogun 2 made Attila that`s why we have more similar features from Shogun then Rome II. Its more of a mix of the two games. The intro movies and the storytelling are great to have, this game have soul. The lighting the atmosphere in battles and in the campaign map is great. The siege escalations the politics, its amazing. I love the time period, its sad that is not explored so much.The story for the fall of Rome is exciting as the Rise. Rome game without the fall of Rome is not complete game and Attila deliver. The game have a lot of bugs and can be improved but still I enjoy it a lot. I dreamed for Belisarius Campaign and we have it. I hope CA make more content and fixing the bugs. It's unfortunate that CA wont support Attila in a first place because of the low sales. The future dlc for the older titles will be for Rome II you can see in the concept that is based in the past. But who knows we can see some content of the future. People didn't buy it because of Rome II but this is not Rome II its like Napoleon, and more people must buy and that way we can have more content.

I played them all since the Shogun 1. This is my favourite. Playing ERE, WRE, Huns, Germanic kingdoms, migrators, ...: all completely different playing experiences.

The only two major flaws I can find are (unfortunately) still shared with Rome 2.

The province system, agents and ''large'' battles. While it's better than Rome 2, it still falls short of expectations and the gameplay suffers heavily.

For the rest, normal battles are better than Rome 2. Politics system is acceptable, tech trees are fine, character development is good, so is the armies one.

The music is ok, but it doesn't reach the peaks of Rome 1 and M2 Kingdoms. The graphic is good and so are most of the units.

However: agents, though you can develop them far better than Rome 2, will be essentially merged with an army and keep going from there, unless the AI is spamming them as well, then you'll have assassination wars. Awful. We went from possibly the most successful use of agents in Shogun 2, to the least of Rome 2, to slightly better than that.

Provinces: I made an entire thread explaining how easy they make the game, while at the same time ruining key concepts. 20 turns into the Sassanids game and I have already zero challenges and won't have any for the rest of the game either, save for ''squalor'' I assume.

''Large'' battles: while I had a few enjoyable ones, the large majority are ''reinforcing armies rushing into the middle without particular tactics''. The few good ones I have had, both me and the AI merged our starting armies with the reinforcements and then went at it. While there's room for improvement in the system, those were interesting and felt like real battles. Unfortunately they are 10% at best of ''large'' battles''.

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

I think the campaign game is the best of all of them. I wish they would not keep trying to re-invent the wheel every time a new one comes out. I am very happy with it.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123