Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New appreciation for this game...

Maiden_Ante's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: New appreciation for this game...

I was hesitant to try this game for a long time as an acquaintance told me it was basically just an expansion of Rome II. However, once I did buy it I regretted not having done so earlier... it's what I've sometimes been missing in Rome II - a need to plan out buildings much more carefully, a difficulty to produce massive armies and depending on the starting faction, being beset by enemies and having to make sacrifices in order to amass resources. It's a new favorite of mine for sure.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well, I finally started a campaign with the Franks.

I did a thorough investigation of their rooster and I found them very round, good in all three areas, infantry, cavalry and archery.

My main problem is that I can`t change the capital ? If I abandon my first capital, what would get picked ?

And what religion to pick ? I am quite close to having 35% Latin Christianity but I read that the Huns have a bonus against Christians...
    I am in 400+ and the first wave of Huns already burned everything up to my borders in central Germany.

And I kind of agree with the rest, the game is better than Rome 2.

I find the multiplayer to be one of the best features of Attila. There is an argument (to which I partially agree) that it is too unbalanced with cavalry being op, but in a sense that makes it a dynamic mp experience and defeating the enemy's cavalry to be that much more rewarding. The sieges are graphically phenomenal with the different stages of destruction available in the setup option allowing for even numbers on both attacking and defending sides to be more equal if the destruction is level 2 or 3.

Also in regards to the players who feel it's too apocalyptic: it's the end of the Roman Empire... A period of death and destruction that sends Europe into the dark ages for a thousand years. Of course the feel of the game isn't going to be gleeful. I can't sympathize with those critics in that regard.
    Last edited by TheGovna; January 30, 2017 at 02:44 PM.

I love TW: Attila! Like many, up until a few months ago I thought Attila was just a DLC for Rome II, which I quickly abandoned soon after release. After getting the TW bug again with Warhammer, I did some research and realized Attila was a stand alone game. Many hundreds of hours later, I still love it!

Attila is one of my favorite Total War games, specially its AoC add-on, deffinetly right there with Napoleon and Shogun 2.

But it is a deeply flawed game too, its GC suffers from extreme overbloated and unbalanced army rosters, specially the romans one, as well as an AI that dosent even try to hide away it's cheat mechanics, and will focus almost entirelly on the player regardeless of whats going on in the rest of the world.

I do hope another DLC is released for it(not because i want a DLC but because its in all honestly the only reason CA/SEGA would touch Attila at this point). If they do, i have a big list of feasible changes that i would like to see: http://steamcommunity.com/app/325610...2768630273246/

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    Yes, for sure, it's deeply flawed. Playing as WRE is a Sisyphean exercise in frustration and futility, especially at the beginning of campaigns. Then the stack spammy Huns arrive and cheat their way through northern Italy and down the peninsula, both through ridiculous buffs and exploiting the pro AI ZoC rules. Understandably it just isn't fun for a lot of people. Despite that, I always have a blast. I really hope CA releases more content this year.
    I strongly disagree. I did WRE twice on VH and legendary and it was a very nice challenge, especially at the beggining. It's great and so much different from everything before and after in Total War - starting with big empire threatened from every side and just trying to minimize losses for the first 30 - 40 turns. If someone want to have a campaign just steamrolling hopeless AI without losing a battle, settlement or army there is difficulty setting in place to adjust. BTW every campaign unfolds differently so there is a lot of replayability in the game.

White Bishop's Avatar Foederatus

I've gained far more appreciation for this game after I was able to start playing an Aksum campaign. Going with the Carthage strategy of hugging the coastline has allowed me to seize full control of the red sea and its spice trade. With this economy the Sassanids and Romans have naught to say. I can afford armies the world has never seen and that is before ever getting close to Judea or Armenia! The world is set to fall.

I agree with Bishop!

It's the best TW since Medieval 2 IMHO. Not flawless, mind you, but most of the glaring flaws can be modded out fairly easily.

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

I'm a fan of Classic total war game mechanics ! someone like me would've prefered Attila to have Shogun2 gameplay although Attila has much improved over Rome2 ,so it is at least playable for Me.
    it is much more fun if you are western-roman fanboy as they paied more attention to details of Roman factions (for a vannila game though) compared to their arche-rvial Sassanids that they still sometimes look like Arabs and their unit's strengh is generally weaker than that of Romans (even their cavalry?!?)

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Bit late to the party here but it's the same thing that I want to mention - Attila is a fantastic game and I love it.

In the grand scheme of things, it's up there with the very best.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

I never bothered with Attilla... but then found it for $10 in a store closing down sale so took the chance.

Love the religion aspect. It's really in depth.

Sometimes weird anomalies happen though. As ERE the Huns made peace with me virtually at the start. Then they proceeded to walk around Thrace not knowing what to do with themselves. I didn't mind.. recruiting their units made things interesting and saved me building stables. But they were still there in an increasing number of stacks 20 years later.

Also as ERE I feel like the Sassanids are preset to declare war. I've had them declare war with hundreds of positive points to spare.

Like most TW games I also feel that auto fighting battles is too balanced against a human player. I can win the vast majority of battles even slightly outnumbered. But auto resolve will lose even fights. It means I get stuck fighting spam battles till I'm bored rather than picking a few key battles to manage. The emperor wasn't at every battle in a war yo - just the important ones.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Try the Franks for a chellenge...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Ya its the younger, cooler brother of Rome 2 but unfortunately got a bad rap from its sibling

I returned to DEI today and while it's unquestionably more polished and better balanced game overall, I was missing a lot of the features of Atilla. Strategic map options, building browser, diplomacy options, family tree, faction politics, UI in general... If Atilla had gotten half the attention of modders that R2 did, it would be a glorious game. Even like this its really good.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Odinarius View Post
    I returned to DEI today and while it's unquestionably more polished and better balanced game overall, I was missing a lot of the features of Atilla. Strategic map options, building browser, diplomacy options, family tree, faction politics, UI in general... If Atilla had gotten half the attention of modders that R2 did, it would be a glorious game. Even like this its really good.
    I fully agree, I've had a 130-turn very interesting WRE campaign. The AoC makes reportedly things even better, especially with Age of Vikings.
    Nevertheless, I find ATW still behind those great mods of the M2TW - as EBII or SSHIP - especially on historicity, role-playing and economy.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

I keep returning to Attila, especially the Roman Empires, because it hardly ever feels like busywork managing their politics and economy, in contrast to R2 which piles on the pop-up messages, senate assassinations, adoptions and other god-awful dilemma events. I love DEI but wish that they had taken the leap across to Attila. I feel they missed a trick there (However, a huge part of DEI's genius is its battles and I believe Kam has said somewhere in this forums that Attila's battle system is unbalanced beyond repair. So, what DEI gained on the campaign map, would have been lost on the battlefields).

Each TW has its own genius. Rome was groundbreaking: in MTW2 roleplaying and brilliant battles; in Empire grand strategy and trade; in Napoleon spectacular battles and glory, Shogun 2 polished gameplay; Rome 2 a compelling setting and variety; Attila complexity and turmoil. It is the latter which keep drawing me back again and again for "just one more campaign".

I fear its relatively modest sales in comparison to R2 and CA's fantasy tangent means that Attila will remain a strange, inchoate one-off jewel in the Total War series.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

ETW had naval battles that were groundbreaking (although I don't like them). Grand strategy and trade we had before.

I wish they would bring back the theatre mechanic from ETW. It would cut down on the end-turn lag.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Odinarius View Post
    same thing.But the problem is 75% of the features of attila were already created by the modders in Rome 2 even before Attila was announced. So thats why we got overall less mods for Attila overall compared with Rome 2.But for the big overhaul mods Attila leaps and bounds ahead - Rome 2 got only DEI witch I never liked,but Attila Medieval Kingdoms 1212ad,Rise of Mordor, the Rome 2 converting mod for attila and so on.

Изпратено от моят GT-I9301I с помощта на Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    One person is me who hate Shogun 2, Rome 2, Attila Campaign map design. Rome 1/ Med 2 campaign map and rts war map are synchronous. Med 2 Camapaign map have more deep strategy as using geogrophy and moving more large space on map.

Campaign Enjoy
    1) Med2
    2) Rome1
    3) Empire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast