Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replay Packs from 1.2 and tips on how to Win

Default Re: Replay Packs from 1.2 and tips on how to Win

I need some tips on how to start with Parthia!

Should I focus on development lv2-3 town before taking any settlement? Or should I build an army and take a settlement asap?

Also, do you guys "abuse" the fact that in the start of the campaign you can force some factions to pay up to 3000 to make trade agreements?
    I tried to not do that (because it kinda feels like cheating) but first few turns 2 factions broke our trade and I ended up with nothing.

PS: Turn 2 or 3 Baktria always declares war afaik.

Build a l2 town instantly, then start working on your first army. I went with 4 horse archers, 4 medium cav, 5 slingers, 6 cheap infantry, general. This is far from ideal, but its what you can afford. Be very careful not to aggro anyone, and watch for an opportunity. Persia sometimes revolts. One of the tiny factions near you sometimes declares war and leaves their city open. Baktria sometimes starts more fights than they can handle. Whoever puts themselves in a bad situation, hit them hard and decisively. Convert the new province into a FOOD production center (you will need it, plus your home region is a great military location). Chances are the excessive war in the region will cause big problems with devastation/supply lines.

Watch for media to attack persia. If they do, counterattacking media right as their offensive stalls can be a great way to snap up your home region, iron, and maybe more without aggroing selucids. Just be careful not to go so far as to draw hydasan aggro. If this isn't happening, knock out baktria and india. Wash, rinse, repeat a few times until you have enough food and income to create two real army. Your situation still won't be good, but at that point you can break ties with selucids, knock out all their satrapies, and build up there before pushing at selucids.

Its a tough start, see my replay packs if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Carthage on Hard AI-Normal battles....Not very advanced though, just a secured Sicily and ownership over the African provinces and the early Iberian colonies. I'd really appreciate it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfqxszkwk8...stim.save?dl=0

You will load into a nearly completed economy -- just a few more touches on the starting locations before you are ready to rock. Troop production centers in africa, spain, and prepping sicily. You have two legions of medium quality, a partial fleet, lots of trade ties, and no diplomatic issues. But when you click end turn....SURPRISE!

WELCOME TO THE WAR FROM HELL
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 20, 2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Garbad View Post
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfqxszkwk8...stim.save?dl=0

You will load into a nearly completed economy -- just a few more touches on the starting locations before you are ready to rock. Troop production centers in africa, spain, and prepping sicily. You have two legions of medium quality, a partial fleet, lots of trade ties, and no diplomatic issues. But when you click end turn....SURPRISE!

WELCOME TO THE WAR FROM HELL
    I just got the file. Can't wait to test it mate. I really appreciate it.
    Many thanks Plus Rep of course

Cheers

Added atropatkan.

Added atropatkan.
    Atropatkan looks like an interesting faction. Thanks mate
    Since your PC can handle ultra, will you run your campaigns with Ultra settings from now on ???
    What's next ? Scordisci maybe ?

Cheers

This is the coolest idea I've ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Atropatkan looks like an interesting faction. Thanks mate
    Since your PC can handle ultra, will you run your campaigns with Ultra settings from now on ???
    What's next ? Scordisci maybe ?

Cheers
    No, I much prefer the balance on normal size. There is more room for tactics, missile troops and charges work better, and it just is more enjoyable to me.

As for next faction, taking requests.

No, I much prefer the balance on normal size. There is more room for tactics, missile troops and charges work better, and it just is more enjoyable to me.

As for next faction, taking requests.
    I believe with the Missile Damage (from units) and tower damage etc the devs have said that it's better to use Ultra for DEI 1.2 but I could be wrong.
    No problem though, it's your playtime. Thanks again for the Carthage save.

Cheers

Thrace added.

Playing Parthia in 1.2, so many plagues... How to avoid it? Or how to cure faster?

I think plagues are purely RNG.

Deus ret.'s Avatar Civis

I am intrigued by your efforts, Garbad, and even more by your replay packs. (Not least since I build my empire and provinces quite differently; certainly not as focused as you.) However, I have a question: In all the saves I've seen so far you seem to be at peace with everyone. I found this particularly baffling in the Roman example, where you own Syracuse, which triggers an automatic DoW from Carthage. On hard, which I play, too, I've never managed to get peace with any faction once at war without me or someone else seriously trouncing them; in your case, Carthage seems to be doing quite well...so: How d'you do it? I never seem to be able to play a campaign without at least half a dozen wars at hand at any one time.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni

Well, that is deliberate. I upload save files where the faction is developed enough to use most/all units, is at peace, and is stable economically. This is so players can try out all the units and do whatever they wish.

As for that carthage replay in specific, I think it was before he hard coded the automatic wardec. I think at that time they merely got angry, but could be talked down. I go out of my way to befriend key factions (rome) and reduce aggro with all. My whole war plan is to kill the isolated and weak until I am large enough to not care who opposes me. Carthage is extremely weak anyhow. Once I make the jump into africa its usually GG.

There are also a few tricks to reduce aggro. You may notice I spend most of the early game with all my military units disbanded. This is because I am confident I can manage AI aggro with no armies at all (AI bases aggression mostly on reputation, the faction power thing, and if you leave weak, undefended areas without armies near them (say a level 1 city hall with low public order). I also try to wait for the AI to start fighting each other before I begin serious expansion, so they are distracted, and I avoid trade/nonaggs with petty factions.

OdinSon's Avatar Foederatus

Firstly, can I say fantastic idea. Do I need to run the same submods for these saves to work properly or does it matter?

Probably so, but I don't use submods. I usually just run DEI.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qttfq67i...jkdwR_lBa?dl=0
    Link to Folder with lots of choices
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 20, 2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

how about ardiaei?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97vjemini9...iaei.save?dl=0
    here you go

Various updates to factions, you should be able to find almost any one you want. Please let me know if a save same is too old to work.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

Have you done any "Let's Play"s, Garbad? Would love to watch a vid of you in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Basilius View Post
    Have you done any "Let's Play"s, Garbad? Would love to watch a vid of you in action.
    I have for other games but TBH I figured RTW would be too slow paced for viewers. I enjoy writing guides or reviews for other games I play.

Also for those who are interested check out the latest ptolmeac save. I ran it like a quasi jewish faction (ie, military center in jerusalem, armies staffed primarily by jewish units). I use egyptians and africans as auxillia, its a strong blend but a little weak on elite infantry.

Added irish, averni, galation, pergamon, massali. Irish is a great barbarian faction now, give them a look.

Post 1.2.2, new rosters.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

Did you delete Rome? I like starting other factions from scratch, but early Rome is such a bore for me and I like working with Imperial Auxilia. (I'd use the Augustus campaign, but it seems to not be completely updated and the politics are wonky.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast