Thread: Riverrun, seat of House Tully

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Riverrun, seat of House Tully

Riverrun is the ancestral seat of House Tully, Lords Paramount of the Riverlands since Edmyn Tully became the first Riverlord to join the Conqueror in his war with Harren the Black and lords of the area for thousands of years before that. The castle is a strong, three-sided fortress with sandstone walls that lies on the River Road and is bordered by the Tumblestone and Red Fork rivers, with a moat covering its third side that the defenders can flood by opening the sluice gates in case of a siege so as to completely surround the castle with watery defenses.

Riverrun was originally built thousands of years ago by Ser Axel Tully, a First Man warrior who originally served the Mudds in their wars with the invading Andals but bent the knee after the downfall of his overlord Tristifer IV, the Hammer of Justice, and converted to the Seven to serve the Andal king Armistead Vance as a knight. Since then, the strategic location of Riverrun and the bounty of the farmlands watered by nearby rivers have made the Tullys richer than many other Riverlander houses of nobler descent. The castle's occupants finally gained the political clout to match their wealth in the time of Aegon the Conqueror, who elevated Lord Edmyn Tully to paramountcy over the entire Riverlands over 280 years ago.

House Tully

Words: 'Family, Duty, Honor'

Hoster Tully

Rank(s): Lord Paramount of the Riverlands, Lord of Riverrun
    Marital Status: Widowed (Wife: Minisa Whent, d. 278 AL)
    Children: Catelyn, Lysa, Edmure
    Skill(s): 10 points: +3 Battles, +3 Survival, +2 Wealth, +2 Logistician

Hoster is a tall and broad-shouldered man with the Tully blue eyes and red hair, and the oldest son of Axel Tully, the previous Lord of the Riverlands. In his youth, together with his brother Brynden he served in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, where he met a bevy of future lords and befriended some of them. One was none other than Steffon Baratheon, who sent his second son Stannis to foster at Riverrun many years later. With Stannis' older brother Robert fostered in the Vale beneath old Lord Jon alongside the second son of the Stark family, and Hoster arranging the betrothal of his eldest daughter Catelyn to the Stark heir in turn, an outside observer could be forgiven for noticing that a Baratheon-Tully-Stark-Arryn axis was emerging...

As a child and adolescent, the Lord of Riverrun was a man of boundless, irrepresible energy who could hardly sit still and loved to travel to new places. Now in his 43rd year however, Hoster's passions have cooled long ago, leaving him a calm and mild-mannered thinker. Unlike his more warlike little brother, Hoster was never a great warrior, though he excelled in his studies of strategy and is perfectly comfortable with commanding battles from the safety of the rear.

Catelyn Tully

Rank(s): Lady
    Marital Status: Betrothed to Brandon Stark
    Children: None
    Skill(s): 5 points: +2 Charisma, +2 Capture, +1 Wealth

Catelyn is the eldest surviving child of Lord Hoster and his lady wife Minisa Whent, the majority of her siblings (including two elder brothers) having died in infancy. A beautiful young woman with high cheekbones, long fingers, porcelain skin, blue eyes and the deep red hair common to Tullys, she was considered the finest catch the family had to offer - until, of course, she was made unavailable by a betrothal to the heir of the North, one Brandon Stark. Despite having never met her intended before her father announced the betrothal and thus knowing virtually nothing about him, Catelyn's beauty is matched by her sense of duty, and so she did not protest against her father's decision. The lucky Stark can expect her to be a strict but duty-bound and eternally faithful wife, in time...if, of course, they ever make it to their marriage ceremony...

Lysa Tully

Rank(s): Lady
    Marital Status: N/A
    Skill(s): 5 points: +2 Charisma, +2 Assassin, +1 Capture

Lysa is the middle child of Hoster's brood, and his second daughter. A pretty and slender girl with lighter blue eyes than either of her siblings, she shares many features with her big sister Catelyn - but only physically, for emotionally the two are night and day. Where Catelyn is calm, level-headed and down-to-earth, Lysa is flighty and much more overtly emotional, a romantic dreamer with her head stuck in the clouds. When Stannis Baratheon entered the Tully household as her father's ward she took a liking to him immediately, and as they both left childhood and entered adolescence this liking has evolved into a full-blown crush, one where Lysa can at times even be aggressively clingy to the younger of the Baratheon Stags.

Edmure Tully

Rank(s): Squire
    Marital Status: N/A
    Skill(s): 4 points: +2 Duels, +1 Battles, +1 Survival

Edmure is the only son and heir of Lord Hoster. Still a young boy of only twelve years, he is nonetheless old enough to serve as a squire. His fiery hair is matched by his recklessness, passion and short temper, but on the other hand he can be surprisingly quick to forgive slights, trusting of others and empathetic.

Regional bonuses
    Riverrun
    • River Defenses: Riverrun has excellent natural defenses, as it is situated at the meeting point of two roaring rivers, the Tumblestone and the Red Fork. It even has a third man-made ditch covering the land around the walls between the two rivers, which can easily be filled with water from a sluice gate in times of siege. This effectively turns Riverrun into an island, making any attacks all but impossible. +3 to siege defense rolls.
    • Well Watered Lands: Fed by the many rivers coursing through it, the Riverlands are one of the most fertile regions of Westeros, matching the Reach in its bounty. Riverrun's vast stocks are usually stuffed to bursting by the bounty reaped by the Riverlords, providing an ample reserve to last through a siege. +6 months to siege holdout time.

Buildings
    WIP

Trade
    WIP

Taxes
    WIP

Edicts
    WIP

Military
    WIP

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Riverrun, seat of House Tully

A raven arrives in Riverrun, the letter it carries bares the direwolf of House Stark upon gray wax.
    Contents of Letter
    To Hoster, of the House Tully, Lord of Riverrun

I do not know you, though my father did, as did my brother. But their remains sit motionless in the Red Keep now. Felled at the hands of their King for attempting to retrieve my sister, whom the crown Prince has kidnapped, a mad King that has forsworn his duties. A King that now calls for my blood, and that of my soon to be good-brother Robert's. Brandon had yet to wed your daughter Catelyn, and for that I am sorry. As such I would not call for you to lift swords and shed to avenge his life or the life of my father, nor would I ask you to shed blood to save my own life. But I must ask you this, not as Lord Stark but as a son of a murdered father, the brother of a murdered brother and a kidnapped sister, to grant me and my army passage through your lands. So I might shed blood in the name of my fallen kin, so I might save my Lyanna from those who took herself. I await your reply my Lord Tully.

Eddard of the House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; January 12, 2017 at 10:27 PM.