Thread: Karhold, Seat of House Karstark

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Karhold, Seat of House Karstark

House Karstark

See here.

Young Lord Thoren Karstark rules Karhold, assisted by his uncle Edwin Karstark (who many may see as the de facto ruler in his own right). Edwin spends much of his time with the Karstark Navy. Thoren has one sister, Liane, and three cousins by Edwin - Talbert, Beony, and Rickon.

Income

50,000 Base Income
    5,000 Thoren Karstark (10%)
    10,000 Buildings (20%)

Total: 65,000 Dragons

Trade

1. Resource: Fish (+1,200 Naval Militia)
    2. Resource:
    3. Resource:

Buildings

Tier I: Income, Port
    Tier II:
    Tier III:
    Tier IV:

Edicts:

Military

Siege Defence

+8 base
    +2 regional bonus

Total: 10

Armies

Levy

(4,500 Karhold, 250 Weeping Bay & Eastmelt = 5,000 points)

Militia
    (2,000 Edicts)

300 Heavy Infantry
    1,000 Light Infantry
    400 Archers

Professionals

900 Heavy Infantry
    600 Archers

Navy

Militia
    (2,000 Edicts, 500 Buildings, 1,200 Fish = 3,700)

60 Dromonds
    22 Heavy Galleys
    10 Karhold Warships (AOR) (Flagship: Black Sun)

= 92 Ships

Professional:

-
    Last edited by Poach; January 23, 2017 at 02:52 PM.

Default Re: Karhold, Seat of House Karstark

Nearly weeks after their visit at Winterfell, Lord Mallister and his household guard arrive at Karhold, requesting humbly entrance and a potential audience with Lord Karstark.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Lord Mallister is met instead by Lady Liane Karstark, who at 15 years old was Lord Thoren's sister and the closest to the Lord there was. She was sat with a number of advisers, well-learned men appointed by Thoren and his uncle Edwin to guide the girl through any issues that may crop up while off on campaign. As Lord Mallister approached, Liane's advisers were speaking in hushed tones to her, no doubt reminder her of who she spoke to, where he was from, and what Seagard was.

"Lord Mallister," she said, attempting to summon up something of an authoritative tone, "What brings the Lord of Seagard so far north?"

"As some would say, buiseness, mylady Karstark", he said polite, searching for a more grown-up Karstark, while seeing noone so far, "I came in matters of trade, as I'm in search of a trading partner, who can trade Timber for another rescource, which we currently produce, may it be Flax or Fish. I tried so far my luck at Winterfell, but there was sadly no interest within the trade goods we offer. Given that we heard of House Karstark's recent naval successes during the rebellion and due to your coastal position, I had hoped to discuss with Lord Karstark himself regarding the matter. But I assume he is still on his mission at Skagos with Lord Stark, as I was told at Winterfell, so... I apologize for having come to a potential unpleasant time for deals already."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Yes, he and my uncle are doing battle with the rebellious Skaggs - Skagosi," she said, quickly changing to the more polite way of referring to the islanders, "We at Karhold also produce a great deal of fish, from the many villages along the coast. The war has put strain on our coffers and, though we have an expansive woodland, no significant logging occurs. I will let my brother know, however, and perhaps there will be money for logging this year."

All Karhold's funds had gone into equipping a fleet and militia for war in the south the previous year. Nothing had been built or expanded within Karhold itself.

Lord Mallister nodded, understanding the situation.
    "A reasonable choice as the war could have turned into any direction", he mused before speaking out his thoughts, "If Karhold needs more time regarding its infrastructure, House Mallister can understand this decision. If we can help in improving the situation, I would offer as well a gold sum to a maximum of 30,000 Dragons to proceed the progress within Karhold's infrastructure. Only though, if it is needed, as I don't know the financial situation of your keep, mylady. The war burnt our coins equally, but given that our House had to operate at minor campaigns without a bloodshed, it's the least we can do to a former ally, who actually aided the rebellion in a favorable way for all of us."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

More whispered conversations, this time it appeared a hushed debate was going on. Eventually, Liane spoke.

"We Karstarks are a proud House, Lord Mallister," she said, "and we Northerners are an independent people. I thank you for the generous offer, but we must decline. Though our coffers are drained by the war, the lands surrounding us are by no means poor: our fortune will be rebuilt in time."

Mallister feared that he probably insulted the Karstarks on these regards.
    "My apologizes, as I neither wanted to indicate this, mylady", he replied honest, "From what I have seen, Karhold is surrounded by dense forests and also has access towards the sea in good range towards the castle. I would wish I could say the same about Seagard, as our lands are probably fertile and are located near the coast line, but we sadly lack of strong wood as the one I have seen here. Your family can be proud of these lands, as they're ideal for building a fleet on the eastern coast of the North."
    He made a short pause.
    "So I guess I'll have to wait then", he said, a bit with a smile, trying to see it positive, "Anyways, no matter if there will be a trade deal between our Houses or not, it won't affect anything. I'll try to improve my own fleet in hopes to make the Cape of Eagles and surrounding coasts safer in terms of raids, conducted by pirates and the Ironborn and hope to provide at some point the Royal Court my help in terms of supplies as well, so the eastern coasts benefit as well from our materials, but I'm not an ambitionist, whose sympathy has to be bribed by a coin. Should there ever be a matter in which I can help your noble House or anything you would ask House Mallister, we would be interested in it."
    Marriages, political deals... the usual buiseness, Mallister added in thought.
    The Lord of Seagard felt more comfortable if people actually asked him for favors than actually trying to advice them. Jason knew from expierience that he wasn't the best politician, so he assumed that honesty and politeness are his better virtues among equals.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The Stark forces arrive outside the walls of Karhold, tired from marching across the continent once and traveling to the ends of the earth by sea. They took a slight respite outside the wall's of Karhold as Stark went to join Lord Karstark inside. The only thing that kept them going was the hope that they would soon be back in Winterfell, home, all they had to do was intimidate the Watch out of their Targaryen given lands. Ned walked into the Keep, it was no Winterfell but it was stout and impressive all the same - worthy of the younger Stark son his ancestors granted it to.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

While the army of Winterfell took some much needed rest in the small town near Karhold itself, Lord Stark was taken to the seat of the Karstarks. Though small when compared to Winterfell, it was a stout and spacious keep worthy of one of the great Houses of the North. The best rooms at the top of the keep offered a commanding view of the thick woodlands that surrounded the keep, as well as a view downriver towards the Shivering Sea.

Thoren took Eddard to the great hall and food was served, both Lords no doubt eager to have a meal from a well-provisioned kitchen, having spent many months now on campaign and eating a diet based mostly on what could be hunted and foraged nearby.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Ned happily took a mug of mead as he dug into the loaf of bread set before him, in front of him was a parade of foods, marinated meats, boiled roots and tubers, fresh vegetables. Stark happily munched on everything offered, he was simply happy to be alive - he survived the Mad King, he survived Ser Arthur, seven hells he survived the canibals of Skagos - once he was old he'd have quite the yarns to spin. Stark ignored the wide eyes of the court, surprised by the presence of Winterfell's lord, he turned toward Thoren. Tell me, what is your opinion of the New Gift? Ned questioned. Must an agreement forced by dragon fire be honor?
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; February 05, 2017 at 05:02 PM.