Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Historical Fiction?

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Good Historical Fiction?

Similar to the sci-fi thread, I'm curious what kind of historical fiction is out there that might be a bit older or isn't popular enough to warrant their own threads. This can be books, movies, shows, whatever. I'm interested in any kind of historical fiction out there, from any subject. So feel free to share

Recently I discovered a miniseries on the discovery of King Tut's tomb that aired last year. I spent an afternoon watching it since it was only three hours long and while it felt a little melodramatic at times it was nonetheless a pleasant afternoon watch.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Good Historical Fiction?

The Three Musketeers obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Plentyyyyyyyyy.

Start with Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott. Continue with Rob Roy, by Sir Walter Scott.

Indulge in some War and Peace, by Tolstoi.

Spend some time imagining the Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett.

Draw yourself in - Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell is a longbow of a book.

Are the augurs in your favour? I heard so. And so did I, Claudius.

Wind blows from the shores of the east, and down from the mountains of the west, bringing together two swords - Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa.

And if it's to your bidding... the Wolf Hall should howl well enough, by Hilary Mantel.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Simon Scarrow is my go-to guy for historical fiction. Is it amazing literature? No, but its pretty entertaining light reading, ideal for killing time. The eagle series goes in depth into the 1st century roman military and the sword and the scimitar is a pretty nice take on the siege of malta.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Plentyyyyyyyyy.

Start with Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott. Continue with Rob Roy, by Sir Walter Scott. ....
    Follow with Old Mortality, The Antiquary, the Abbott, Redgauntlet...I haven't got to Peveril of the Peak yet, but the title has me in.

I love Scott, he's extremely heavy going, wordy AF and uses some deliberate archaisms but he's got all the detail, and he tells you in the footnotes when he's lying. Except once in a legend of Montrose, when he derides the Irishman Alaister McCole Keitach ("young Colkitto") as over-rated, when IRL the dude led a small gang of naked Irishmen into battle for the lulz.

Indulge in some War and Peace, by Tolstoi.
    Wonderful family story, Napoleon makes an appearance as a raving lunatic rather than a serious opponent and some of the details about Borodino are amateurish mistakes but its a masterpiece.

...I, Claudius. ....
    One of the greatest novels ever written, along with the sequel Claudius the God. This is a must for anyone interested in the Principate. The facts are all there, no composite characters, and a secret backstory that fits the facts as we know them plausibly.

spoiler
    When I visited Rome decades ago I went to the Forum and saw the site called "Livia's House" and I was like "OMG am I poisoned now?"
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

I recommend James Clavell's Shogun which is set before Tokugawa shogunate was formed. While the book may overexaggerate japanese culture, it will offer good life lessons. I wonder if there are similar books like this.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

I came across Three Kingdoms TV series which is publically avaiable on YouTube, +90 episodes so there's a lot to enjoy of. At the beginning I found the fantasy fight scenes with ridiculously OP superheroes funny but eventually I got used to it. What I really liked this show compared to the most other series out there was that the screentime had less love triangles but more the real stuff like plotting, warfare, Sun Tzu... Basically GoT without boobs in a nutshell.
    Last edited by Finlander; January 11, 2017 at 12:03 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The life of Julius Caesar/Brutus/Marius/Sulla/Marc Anthony, Octavian/Augustus (last book) as told in 'The Emperor' series by Conn Iggulden.

http://www.conniggulden.com/books/se...emperor-series

The series is well written in the context of historical fiction, there are anomalies here and there but for the most part the major events are portrayed within artistic reason. Plenty of battles with believable tactics, not overly heavy on the personal/love lives but enough to keep the plots moving.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Or Iggulden's Conqueror series about Genghis - Kublai Khan to make a change from Romans and Crusades everywhere.

Off the top of my head, I'd also recommend Angus Donald's Outlaw Chronicles and anything by Giles Kristian.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Indeed. The Accursed Kings is a good read, I really enjoyed that one.

Many a good suggestion in this thread for that matter (I Claudius,Wolf Hall,...)

Count Belisarius by Robert Graves is also worth checking, though I prefer his I, Claudius.

Read The Fiery Angel by Valerie Bryusov for a taste of 16th century Germany and the occult. This work will hound you.
    Last edited by LaMuerte; January 14, 2017 at 10:39 AM.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I read Simon Scarrow's Napoleon series, throughly enjoyable. I particularly liked the attention to army details.

There's plenty of great historical novels, some even great series - such as Sharpe by Bernard Cornwell.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

The Abrey/Maturin series of books by Patrick O'Brien is fantastic. Set during the Napoleonic Wars, it follows the adventures of Captain Jack Aubrey and his friend and ship's surgeon (and spy), Stephen Maturin. Inspired by the real life of Admiral Thomas Cochrane. The film Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World was based on one most of one book, with elements of other books in the series thrown in.

Honestly some of the best novels I've ever read in any genre, never mind historical fiction.

If you ever find violence doesn't solves anything, you haven't used enough.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

While their focus isn't primarily the historic event, there are more than ten short stories by Guy de Maupassant set during the Franco-Prussian war, where he also served as a soldier (was originally in the navy, which didn't get use, so am not sure if/where he actually fought).
    Some of those stories are really good. Eg "Two little soldiers" or one about a duel between a frenchman and a prussian just as the german occupation had started.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

My first foray into historical fiction was The Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough - Historical Novels which coincided with my discovery of RTW. Still a favorite of mine and a series which I hope to reread some time in the future.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Underground was cancelled...anyone watch it? I was thinking about getting into it but now I'm not so sure.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Barry Lyndon is pretty much as good as they come regarding historical fiction.

One of the most historically accurate movies ever made too.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
    The Abrey/Maturin series of books by Patrick O'Brien is fantastic. Set during the Napoleonic Wars, it follows the adventures of Captain Jack Aubrey and his friend and ship's surgeon (and spy), Stephen Maturin. Inspired by the real life of Admiral Thomas Cochrane. The film Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World was based on one most of one book, with elements of other books in the series thrown in.

Honestly some of the best novels I've ever read in any genre, never mind historical fiction.
    I see your Abrey and raise you a Horatio Hornblower.

In any case between the the two anyone might actually survive a press gang.

Mary Renault's books set in ancient Greece are very good - for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_from_Heaven

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Praise_Singer

But I think she largely without intent carries the standard bias against the democracy of Athens and hero worship of Alex in her books (something of her era however) - but I myself am biased on that point in particular I think she is mistaken her bashing of Demosthenes. The fact is however anyone who can publish a book where Simonides of Ceos (yep I bet you don't know that name) is the main character is hard core historical fiction with an actual argument about history to boot woven into the book.

However her best work is the tour de force of the Last of the Wine. That a women in the 50s could get such a frank and thoughtful examination of classical sexuality and slavery published is well impressive a lot more than a blog or such.
    Last edited by conon394; June 01, 2017 at 05:35 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

I'm surprised by how many of these I've read. Does anyone know if Claudius the God is out of print? I've never been able to find it (although I haven't looked particularly hard).

Would The Count of Monte Cristo or Don Quixotebe classified as historical fiction, or just period pieces? I enjoyed them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast