Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gulltown, 282 AC

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Gulltown, 282 AC

Early in the year, Jon Arryn received an ultimatum from the King. It gave him only two real options, and Jon Arryn being who he was, found there to be only one choice that the capital had given him. He took that choice with the wholeness of his heart, and called to all his vassals, nobles small and large, to gather up their sworn men and tenants and men-at-arms.

Rebellion, was the word on every pair of lips in the realm, during that new summer year.

As Jon and his allies saw it, there was one clear way forward. From Gulltown, Robert Baratheon, his ward, could sail to the Stormlands and raise up his men. Eddard Stark could make his way North call his. But the Graftons of Gulltown did not answer Jon's call.

First came the men of Runestone, as a vanguard. Then came the Waynewoods, the Hunters, the Redforts, Corbrays. Falcon banners at last appeared, and the great host of the Vale was on Gulltown's doorstep. It laid out long and thick around the walls of the city, and Jon called for his vassal to come out and speak with him, face to face.

--------------------

Siege weaponry is prepared (WIP)
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; January 13, 2017 at 04:22 PM.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Default Re: Gulltown, 282 AC

A rider flanked by two knights with Grafton's sigil on their breast rode forth from the besieged city. Men could be seen along the walls of Gulltown, bows in hand and ever watching the rebel army outside. The small envoy stopped halfway between Arryn's camp and the city walls, the flag of parley floating in the wind above them.

A rider informs Grafton that he should remember that Jon Arryn is his liege, and so Grafton should come three quarters of the way, not half as if they were equals.

That is, if Grafton is in rebellion against the Eyrie, in which case he would indeed carry his white flags. If Grafton is no such rebel, then he should come the whole way to his lord Jon and break bread with him.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; January 13, 2017 at 04:28 PM.

The rider is told that Lady Grafton's envoy, true to her oath to the Iron Throne, will agree meet with the rebel envoy three fifths of the way from the walls, or not at all. House Grafton is no rebel, the rider is informed, but loyal to the King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.

"Lord Arryn calls for his vassal to speak with him, not an envoy," the rider countered.
    "Honorable lord Arryn is her liege, is her intention to betray his trust in her ability to lead House Grafton?"
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; January 13, 2017 at 05:14 PM.

Light cavalry is used to post sentries on the city of Gulltown so that new sallies may occur as a surprise

2/12 hours completed for construction Rams & Light Ladders; 10 hours to possible assault
    Timestamp for earliest possible assault: 1:30 AM Pacific Time, January 14th 2017
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; January 13, 2017 at 06:26 PM.

The rider is silent for a few moments before nodding and returning to Gulltown. Later, a bigger party leaves the city and makes its way to the Arryn camp, carrying the truce flag. Lady Grafton rides at the head of half a dozen knights to meet with Jon Arryn.

The lady of Gulltown and her six followers are shown the way to a large, blue pavilion about the size of a stable. Outside, on the grass of the camp, a sizable band of well dressed men stood to greet them, headed by the unmistakable Lord of the Eyrie, his whitened hair and tall stature a certain sign. A brown haired, broad-shouldered young man stood just beside the age-old patriarch of the Vale, the difference between the two like dawn and dusk. The other ward of the Eyrie, however, seemed nowhere to be found. Lords of the Vale stood around in a small crowd, most notably Lords Royce and Waynwood closest to the front. A Corbray heraldry was seen also.

"My lady," Arryn greeted Grafton, stepping forward in front of his faction, "I thank thee for admitting thyself to speak with me."

The old man had a gruff, stilted way of speaking, but Grafton was likely quite familiar with Arryn, and especially how despite seeming so decrepit was entirely deathless. Once upon a time, she had paid homage to him when she inherited her lands and in customary ceremony, she could likely remember him addressing her as "young lady."

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Robert bowed respectfully, but didn't say a word. He was not here for pleasantries, and in his eyes the woman was nothing but a filthy traitor. Still, he was aware that winning her allegiance would mean he'd be at Storm's End within a fortnight.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Yohn, Nestor and Andar Royce stood in attendance. watching the proceedings carefully.

The siege constructions continue
    - Adding 12 hours to upgrade from tier 1 equipment to tier 2; ETA: 12 hours from now, 10:30 PM Pacific Time, Saturday January 14

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Garrison

The garrison is the normal garrison plus Gulltown's militia.

275 Heavy Infantry
    200 Light Infantry
    567 Polearm Infantry
    500 Archers
    175 Light Cavalry
    58 Heavy Cavalry

Total: 1,775 men

Quote Originally Posted by Vilgefortz of Roggeveen View Post
    The lady of Gulltown and her six followers are shown the way to a large, blue pavilion about the size of a stable. Outside, on the grass of the camp, a sizable band of well dressed men stood to greet them, headed by the unmistakable Lord of the Eyrie, his whitened hair and tall stature a certain sign. A brown haired, broad-shouldered young man stood just beside the age-old patriarch of the Vale, the difference between the two like dawn and dusk. The other ward of the Eyrie, however, seemed nowhere to be found. Lords of the Vale stood around in a small crowd, most notably Lords Royce and Waynwood closest to the front. A Corbray heraldry was seen also.

"My lady," Arryn greeted Grafton, stepping forward in front of his faction, "I thank thee for admitting thyself to speak with me."

The old man had a gruff, stilted way of speaking, but Grafton was likely quite familiar with Arryn, and especially how despite seeming so decrepit was entirely deathless. Once upon a time, she had paid homage to him when she inherited her lands and in customary ceremony, she could likely remember him addressing her as "young lady."
    Lady Grafton entered the pavilion and looked over the men in front of her. She knew Jon Arryn well enough, her liege lord since her father had been Lord of Gulltown. She felt a hard knot in her stomach for the choice she had made, to stand on the other side of a man she deeply respected and admired. Yet outwards she remained stoic, a woman worth of being called a lady. Her gaze then shifted to the young man beside her, just a few years younger than herself if she remembered correctly. Robert Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End, looked like an angry bear beside his old guardian. Yet the absence of Eddard Stark was sticking out like a sore thumb, but she did not have the time to dwell on it for now. With a respectful curtsy, Gwyneth answered Lord Arryn.

"It is good that we can take the time to be civil, despite the... tumultuous times that we seem to be heading into. I am honored that my lord has graced Gulltown with his presence, though I'm afraid that the city will be quite strained by the size of your party. A bit on the large side, even for the largest city in the Vale."

Her eyes turned to Robert Baratheon once more. Quite the womanizer and drinker, if the rumors were to be believed.

"I assume that you wish to send Lord Baratheon home to Storm's End safe and sound over the Narrow Sea? And once there, he will raise his banners as well in rebellion against the Iron Throne, together with the Vale and the North?"

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    Garrison

The garrison is the normal garrison plus Gulltown's militia.

275 Heavy Infantry
    200 Light Infantry
    567 Polearm Infantry
    500 Archers
    175 Light Cavalry
    58 Heavy Cavalry

Total: 1,775 men
    OOC: I also have these troops.

Troops
    600 Falconguard (AOR polearms)
    300 Knights of the Bloody Gate (AOR elite inf)
    1,200 Longbowmen

Total: 2,100 men

40 Dromonds
    30 Heavy Galleys
    25 Sisterton Pirate Ships
    5 Grand Warships

Total: 100 ships

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Lady Grafton entered the pavilion and looked over the men in front of her. She knew Jon Arryn well enough, her liege lord since her father had been Lord of Gulltown. She felt a hard knot in her stomach for the choice she had made, to stand on the other side of a man she deeply respected and admired. Yet outwards she remained stoic, a woman worth of being called a lady. Her gaze then shifted to the young man beside her, just a few years younger than herself if she remembered correctly. Robert Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End, looked like an angry bear beside his old guardian. Yet the absence of Eddard Stark was sticking out like a sore thumb, but she did not have the time to dwell on it for now. With a respectful curtsy, Gwyneth answered Lord Arryn.

"It is good that we can take the time to be civil, despite the... tumultuous times that we seem to be heading into. I am honored that my lord has graced Gulltown with his presence, though I'm afraid that the city will be quite strained by the size of your party. A bit on the large side, even for the largest city in the Vale."

Her eyes turned to Robert Baratheon once more. Quite the womanizer and drinker, if the rumors were to be believed.

"I assume that you wish to send Lord Baratheon home to Storm's End safe and sound over the Narrow Sea? And once there, he will raise his banners as well in rebellion against the Iron Throne, together with the Vale and the North?"
    "Lord Baratheon is of age, yes," Arryn answered with a nod, circumventing her poke at strategy, "and must return to his home in due time to take up the rightful reigns of rule that I have prepared him for all his life." As Eddard is doing now.

Jon paused and briefly glanced at the young Baratheon beside him. When he looked back to the vassal which blocked his path, he gestured towards the tent, which they stood outside of still.

"Please, my lady, if you will join this fine company of lords for a breaking of fast."

Lady Grafton stood silent for a moment, noting how Jon had given her an indirect. It was the same as a yes, more or less. At Arryn's suggestion, she nodded.

"I would be honored to join you and your lords."

Jon took the first seat at a long table put together inside the tent, his chair somewhat more ornate than the others at the heart of the gathering. Baratheon again was beside him, and on his other side sat Lord Royce. In this way, Lady Grafton sat across from her liege and her closest neighbor from Runestone.

After all were seated, a septa came to stand at one end of the table and all the lords turned to face her; she started a prayer, lifting her hands up and then together in worship at the air above. Lord Arryn parroted the holy words to Seven gods, and his vassals followed him. This particular prayer was one directed at good fortune and beseeching the Seven to protect the faithful from the unfaithful.

When the prayer was finished, the septa and solemn silence gave way to servants carrying in fowl, pies, and well-darkened roasts. Jon absently licked a lower lip as the food approached, but as the plates touched the table, he glanced over at Robert and his plate with a serious look.

"Good, see, that is a good amount,"
    he muttered, having made sure Robert was given a much smaller portion of food than everyone else. Arryn claimed Robert ate too much, and that he must not "eat until he was full." Eddard had restraint, why couldn't Robert learn this?

He turned on his own full plate of steaming food with a subtle smile hidden behind his white beard, and began to pick at with his fingers, searching for his first bite.

"Lady Gwyneth, now that we are here, with this bountiful harvest,"
    he began before pausing to lick a finger clean, "would you care to tell me why you have not answered my summons, and why the Gulltown is of barred passage?"
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; January 15, 2017 at 01:36 PM.

Gwyneth enjoyed the meal that had been served, some of the dishes tasting even better than what her own cooks were capable of. Perhaps it was time to find some extra servants for the kitchens, she would have to bring the issue to the steward later. When Jon asked her the question, which was the main reason they were breaking fast at all, the young lady took her time to cleanse her mouth of food with some wine before answering.

"My lord, to be frank with you, Gulltown does not desire the war that you are marching to, nor do we desire a conflict with the Iron Throne for that matter either. Peace and prosperity does not grow well in ash and burnt down villages. Therefore, we have come to a decision, that this city and its people will not take part in this war at all. Our sons will not march to war, and no man on either side of the conflict will be welcome within its walls. That is the simple truth. You may call me a rebel for not answering when you called the banners, my lord, but I have a responsibility to the people, highborn and smallfolk, of my lands to protect them from harm."

Jon sniffed, his nose twitching and sending a tremor down his beard. He wiped at his lips with a cloth of linen, and looked at Grafton with observant, large eyes.

"You speak of pillaged villages and ash," Arryn was quite calm, with a soft tone, despite the weight of the topic, "but have you seen any, my lady? I've seen them, in my time. Thank god, not many. But I've seen what it looks like."

His shifted his jaws back and forth for a moment, trying to remove some unseen piece of food with his toungue; he held the cloth in front of his mouth to hide the unseemly sight.

"I've seen the kind of hand that delivers it too,"
    he finally continued, placing the cloth down on the table. Eyes were always on Grafton as he spoke, intense. "Long nails, wrinkled skin and dark veins, covered in the blood of his loyal servants."

"I hope never to see it in my time, just as much as you, my lord. Yet there is an army outside my walls, whose purpose we both know. You may frown upon it, but pillages and burning and rape are well-known constants of a marching army, even to an inexperienced lady like myself. I fear that our hopes will be crushed, this day or the next."

She took a brief pause to wipe off some spot on her face with a handkerchief.

"The monster you speak of... I've heard he was quite a different man in his youth, a promising prince to a broken realm. The coin landed quite hard on the mad side this time, and we will all suffer for it. Yet he is the king, to whom all owe their oaths to. Where you choose to not fulfill your oath to a tyrant who would turn your wards to cinders, I choose to not fulfill my oath to spare my people from slaughter. No man involved in this conflict will enter Gulltown, and none of its sons will march to war. That is final."

Before Jon Arryn could speak up, Lady Grafton raised her hand to stop him. Her eyes shifted to Robert Baratheon.

"However, there was a man apprehended a few days back by the city watch on charges of smuggling. Marq of Weeping Town, I think his name was. He's currently in the dungeons, and his ship has been seized for the time being. A smuggler is loyal to himself, so he would have no troubles entering the city. Should he present himself to me right now, I could clear him of all charges and return his ship to him, so he can safely return to his home in the Stormlands. What do you think, my lord?"

"My lady," Jon ignored the silencing hand as it came from a vassal, "I understand you do not wish to hear rhetoric. However, I still hold expectations of you. Your oaths to me have not been made void by the kind of tyranny that cut my obligations to a crown that holds me as a criminal. As such I still expect the marina of Gulltown to defend this shoreline, should another army, that is not of your master's making, attempt to arrive on its banks."

The old man looked disappointed in the young woman, as if she was a daughter who failed to meet his expectations. Arryn exhaled in limited relief and looked at Robert beside him, letting him consider for himself what he must do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast