Medieval Kingdoms Total War : The Ghurid Sultanate

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War : The Ghurid Sultanate

zsimmortal said:

Default Medieval Kingdoms Total War : The Ghurid Sultanate

THE GHURID SULTANATE

A recently Islamicized dynasty of Afghanistan, the Ghurids rose as the Ghaznavids fell. Former vassals of the Ghaznavids, the Ghurids rose to power in the latter half of the 12th century and reached their peak under the Sultan Mui'zz ad-Din Muhammad Ghori ('Muhammad of Ghor'), who co-ruled with his brother for 30 years, holding a large part of Greater Khorasan, Afghanistan and Northern India. Following the assassination of Muhammad, the Sultanate was plunged into civil war with the major military factions, the Ghilman and the native Iranian troops, supporting different candidates. The ensuing civil war would give an opportunity for Muhammad II of Khwarazm to conquer much of the Iranian foothold of the Ghurids and India has broken off, now with a Mamluk Sultan at its head. The Sultan Ghiyath ad-Din Mahmud came out the winner and rules a divided empire that is now fairly limited compared to the borders of Muhammad of Ghor reign, which ranged from Khorasan to Bengal. Following his death in 1212, the empire would be conquered by the Khwarazmids, in 1215. The Ghurids' rule in India, following that of the Ghaznavids, would lay the foundations for the much better known 'Delhi Sultanate', a series of dynasties that would rule in India and spread Turko-Persian culture and Islam, starting with the now-named Mamluk dynasty.

Unlike most Eastern kingdoms, the Ghurids rely first and foremost on infantry for war, much like the Buyyids of Daylam and Saffarids of Sistan did. Rugged mountain tribespeople and urban militias from the large cities make up the bulk of their foot soldiers, but Hindustani Indians come from further East to fight for the Sultanate. The mounted elite troops are slave-soldiers, Ghilman, or former such soldiers, Mamluks. In close proximity to India, and in the continued tradition of the Ghaznavids, the Ghurids employ powerful elephants to crush even the most rigid battle lines.

Early Era

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

General units :

Sultan Ghiyath ad-Din Mahmud

Sultan's Mamluks

Infantry Units :

Hindustani Spearmen

Afghan Spearmen

Hindustani Shikaris

Afghan Archers

Nawak Infantry

Dismounted Ghilman

Zupin Javelinmen

Afghan Mountain Tribesmen

Afghan Infantry

Daylami Mercenaries

Ghurid Central Guard

Cavalry Units :

Ghurid Horse Archers

Ghilman

Afghan Cavalry

Afghan Tribesmen

Ghulam Lancers

Elephants :

Indian Elephants

War Elephants

High Era (WIP)

Late Era (WIP)

Keep in mind this is still a work in progress and nothing that is currently previewed is necessarily final. All feedback and constructive criticism is appreciated.
    Last edited by zsimmortal; April 08, 2017 at 03:11 PM.

Heisenburrg said:

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War : The Ghurid Sultanate

Just wow...

One thing; some troops are looking really badass in their heavy armor. I mean itīs awesome and might be historically correct... but for Tier 1? I donīt know...
    Last edited by Heisenburrg; January 08, 2017 at 04:55 PM.

Ltd. said:

Well, the more heavily armored troops are either ghilman or bodyguard units, as they should be.
    Units are really great. Maybe slightly desaturating the greens and yellows could be applied, but the colour scheme and the patterns on the tunic worn under the armour looks very good.

Filips Augustus said:

Great job, they look awesome!

zsimmortal said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    Well, the more heavily armored troops are either ghilman or bodyguard units, as they should be.
    Units are really great. Maybe slightly desaturating the greens and yellows could be applied, but the colour scheme and the patterns on the tunic worn under the armour looks very good.
    They definitely came out more neon looking than I though they would. I'll correct some other little things around the board while I'm at it.

Sarcasm_pt said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    I agree with this as well, reds and purples also a bit too shiny. Otherwise, they look great.

Nebaki said:

Awesome work Would be funny in Sieges with some Elephants hehe

zsimmortal said:

I've edited the OP to reflect some minor changes : toned down some colors, added chapans for select afghan units and just diversified armours for the more basic units in general.

Visarion said:

This is a must!

You_Guess_Who said:

Nice, can't wait for more Indian units in the future. Oh, you haven't mixed chapan to the Afghan Archer vmd?

Some notes:

- How about naming the elephant units "Indian War Elephants" and "Indian Armored Elephants" instead? I think archer/javelinmen in the howdah are pretty much standard, both of the elephant unit have manned howdahs as well, and the volume/output of Elephant archers won't be very big considering elephant units' small number.

- Avoid howdah models that have classic Greek aspis strapped on it.

11. lion8000 said:

War Elephants really nice.

zsimmortal said:

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Nice, can't wait for more Indian units in the future. Oh, you haven't mixed chapan to the Afghan Archer vmd?

Some notes:

- How about naming the elephant units "Indian War Elephants" and "Indian Armored Elephants" instead? I think archer/javelinmen in the howdah are pretty much standard, both of the elephant unit have manned howdahs as well, and the volume/output of Elephant archers won't be very big considering elephant units' small number.

- Avoid howdah models that have classic Greek aspis strapped on it.
    I'd have to look back, but as I recall, Ghurid archers were equipped with light armour. The mountain tribespeople can also act as archers, so technically, they do have archers with chapans.

All of the period art I checked do not show javelinmen riding elephants. Sadly, there's not much to do about archers, unless I can add more to the towers, but the models don't seem to show that it is a possibility (last time I had 3 units, one was inside the elephant).

The aspis tower is a bit a question of lack of options. I used the most functional one amongst the options. I used this painting from the Istanbul Military Museum to get an idea for towers, and the one in the back was slightly similar to the one with aspis. I'll probably just end up making some custom ones at some point.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You_Guess_Who said:

Quote Originally Posted by zsimmortal View Post
    I'd have to look back, but as I recall, Ghurid archers were equipped with light armour. The mountain tribespeople can also act as archers, so technically, they do have archers with chapans.
    Ah, I didn't notice that Afghan Tribespeople are carrying bows in the first place. Right.
    Quote Originally Posted by zsimmortal View Post
    All of the period art I checked do not show javelinmen riding elephants. Sadly, there's not much to do about archers, unless I can add more to the towers, but the models don't seem to show that it is a possibility (last time I had 3 units, one was inside the elephant).
    Ah, no, the javelinmen is just an example. My point is exactly because you'll face the problem of limited archer per howdah, the unit should not have the word "archer" in the name because it implies the main method of combat, which it isn't in this case because back to the first point: Can't put extra archers on top. The archers are just expected extras.

Also now on my PC I can see how you retexture the longbow into an Indian one. Great.
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; January 09, 2017 at 07:00 AM.

zsimmortal said:

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Ah, no, the javelinmen is just an example. My point is exactly because you'll face the problem of limited archer per howdah, the unit should not have the word "archer" in the name because it implies the main method of combat, which it isn't in this case because back to the first point: Can't put extra archers on top. The archers are just expected extras.
    I see what you mean now. That is, indeed, something to consider. I just like the name elephant archers honestly, but I'll look into naming when they'll be added to the mod.

bigdaddy1204 said:

Oh my god this looks incredible - well done mod team!

Can't wait to play!
    Good to see another Muslim faction - mashallah!

16. Alex De said:

Ghurid?
    I can not understand what is interesting with this mode
    Historically such a sultanate has never been located in the immediate east geography
    Irrelevant and fake

17. Alex De said:

Will it be a Chinese empire state?

Lol

OutsiderKK said:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex De View Post
    Ghurid?
    Historically such a sultanate has never been located in the immediate east geography
    Irrelevant and fake

Just do some research wil you? Nothing here is irrelevant or fake...

zsimmortal said:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex De View Post
    Ghurid?
    Irrelevant and fake
    I'm not sure where you get this idea. Ghor is directly east of Herat in Afghanistan. The Ghurid sultanate was a major power in Iran until internal collapse and fragmentation in 1206. They still held parts of modern-day Afghanistan in 1212, most if you consider the rebellious elements as being part of the sultanate nominally.

atademir said:

Lol
    The Ghurid state never took place in the land of Iran.
    I'm talking about the state
    Where will it be on the current map?