Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wambat's Rhovanion Campaign LP

Default Wambat's Rhovanion Campaign LP

I have just published the preamble to my Rhovanion campaign; subtitled: "Are you happy now?"

Link

Campaign playlist link.

Let me know what you think of the video and audio quality, and any suggestions for improvement.

I have implemented a weekly raffle to promote this series, giving away a different Steam game every week. Each raffle will end Sunday at 11:59pm Pacific time, and a new raffle will be up by the following Monday.

Link to raffle host page.
    Last edited by Wambat; February 25, 2018 at 04:01 AM.

Default Re: Wambat's Rhovanion Campaign LP

Great to see this! I'll check it out
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Looking forward for the actual start of the LP!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Oooh, exciting!

Well, the time of the great disappointment has arrived!

Feast your eyes and ears of what must be, not only the most boring, but also the most ugly video LP ever produced. At great cost to my personal time, and fueled by pure cussedness, I present episode 1 of the Rhovanion LP series:

Rhovanion Campaign Ep1 Part1

Rhovanion Campaign Ep1 Part2

You can be assured the gods did not want this to happen, but gods be damned! I shall be releasing episode 2 presently.

Yes!

Episode 2 up.

Episode 3 part 1 and part 2 are up.

Thanks for the uploads! You're displaying a great love for detail there. I doubt many players know so many nuances of the game. I especially like to see your diplomacy guide in action! Impressive how much money is extractable of other factions. Definitely learned some useful stuff in that regard that I will implement in future campaigns. Also really cool to see how you exploit movement points and cost advantages most efficiently. Really nice LP!

Thank you. I cannot offer good video quality, so I am hoping insight into my strategy and tactics will provide an alternative attraction.

Yeah, second everything Dain said; these are very cool! I hope you were able to resolve the technical issues to at least make the process more enjoyable for you. I sometimes have to replay a battle a few times due to a crash, and I find that immensely disheartening; can't imagine playing it 20 times!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

It's begun, hooray! Have to find some time to watch this soon .

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    Thank you. I cannot offer good video quality, so I am hoping insight into my strategy and tactics will provide an alternative attraction.
    My technical knowledge of recording may not be great, but If I can help in any way I will. I have learned much from your understanding of this mod and the guidance you have given to us all, and I would hopefully like to give something in return that helps you to have a more enjoyable experience with your Let's Plays.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; February 10, 2017 at 05:16 AM.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    It's begun, hooray! Have to find some time to watch this soon .

I hope you find the time. I may start recording episode 4 tonight and I should like to be able to respond to any comments or questions in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    My technical knowledge of recording may not be great, but If I can help in any way I will. I have learned much from your understanding of this mod and the guidance you have given to us all, and I would hopefully like to give something in return that helps you to have a more enjoyable experience with your Let's Plays.

I am happy to benefit form your experience.

Unfortunately, I am not able to record, render and upload all at once. I can pretty much only do one thing at a time. I have been recording, rendering and uploading only in small bits; 10 minutes or less at a time. It takes me between 2 and 3 hours to record and edit, about 8 hrs to render, and about 24 hrs to upload each episode; maybe another hour to put everything together once it is on YouTube.

Fortunately, I don't have to "do" anything during the render and upload phases, but they are quite apt to failure if I use my computer for anything else, especially during the rendering. I think a lot of the graphical problems manifest due to merging the video back together after upload, but there is no alternative currently given my hardware and bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    Unfortunately, I am not able to record, render and upload all at once. I can pretty much only do one thing at a time. I have been recording, rendering and uploading only in small bits; 10 minutes or less at a time. It takes me between 2 and 3 hours to record and edit, about 8 hrs to render, and about 24 hrs to upload each episode; maybe another hour to put everything together once it is on YouTube
    Crikey your timeframe is ridiculous, I feel for you and at the same time admire your dedication Okay, could you answer some questions for me plz, I think I can help and the maximum you "could" spend for what you need will be $10..1) what is your pc stats? 2) what is your gpu 3) what are you using to record 4) what are you using to convert? 5) what is your OS?
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; February 11, 2017 at 04:00 AM.

OBS 17.0.2
    Vegas Pro 14.0
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

webba84's Avatar Artifex

I'm not an expert, but the GPU looks to be the bottleneck there.

@webba: GPU is fine mate, has nothing to do with how his recording software and rendering perform and the time it takes.

@wambat: All your equipment is fine, I am not sure but you are doing something that's not quite right. I have Shadowplay which records in approx.30 minute sections but still continuous, I have Freemake VC which I use to join the segments into one and convert for upload to youtube. A 1 hour video takes about 4 hours from record to publish.....and all for the princely sum of a one time only $10 donation to avoid a company advertisement at the end of my video. I have never used OBS found it to be too much faffing around and could not get it to work properly and I certainly wouldn't pay around $400 for editing software. How is it you can only record in 10 minute segments? Can you not join it altogether into one continuous video? Do you narrate whilst recording? I know youtube can be notoriously slow to upload and process but it's not that bad unless you have a slow internet speed. You are definitely doing something wrong by the sound of it.

I am doing something wrong: I am recording video LPs on a laptop, and not a top of the line one either. Every guide I have read on recording video LPs using a laptop have had this piece of advice to offer: Don't.

The process causes my laptop to heat up so much that performance and stability quickly deteriorate. So, while the stats may appear adequate, I cannot get the work out of them I might in a tower just because I cannot cool sufficiently. I deal with this by pausing and stopping recording frequently (about every 10 min in campaign, every 4 min in battle) to let my cpu/gpu rest.

My bandwidth is also a significant factor; it is quite low. While I could, conceivably, upload larger chunks than 10 minutes, I could risk a failure due to any interruption in service; which is not unknown. For similar reasons, rendering in 10 minute chucks is preferable to me as that helps to ensure I do not loose too much time on failed renderings.

I did play around with some other recording software, but I did not find them any more stable with my laptop. It is going to overheat regardless just because it cannot provide the cooling for that kind of cpu intensive work. It is also important to me that I am able to record on separate tracks so that I can adjust levels when editing.

Do you find me audible in my recordings thus far? If not, let me know which videos (or which segments of which videos) need sound levels adjusted.

The sound levels seem ok IMO - I haven't had trouble hearing you.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast