Thread: ~A Portuguese Story~

Default ~A Portuguese Story~

~Disclaimer~

I do not believe any of this to be historically accurate; I just want to tell an interesting story. I also confess to having little knowledge of Portugal’s actual history, so please do not scream at me for inaccuracies.

~End of Disclaimer~

The Empire of Portugal has now risen from small country to a kingdom. At this fledgling period the Empire must either expand to be swept away from the pages of history by larger, established kingdoms. The immanent threat is the Kingdom of Spain, ruled by King Alfonso. The other issue is the Islamic nation to the southeast of Lisbon; the Moors. Faced with two enemies King Henrique must be swift in his decisions to bring the peninsula under his grasp.

The People You Should Know

The current king of the small kingdom of Portugal. The civil war his father spurred in order to unify Portugal under his rule has left Henrique with little respect from his people, and he knows this. An intelligent commander and a loyal Catholic he seeks to unify the entire peninsula, eliminating the Spanish to the west and drive out the Moors to the south. Only god knows what he will do from there

Ambitions:
    ~Gain the respect of his people
    ~Unify the Peninsula
    ~Eliminate the Spanish

Almost a clone of his father, Affonso's potential is limitless. He has the marks of a great warrior, his stance while he walks betrays this, but the affinity for the cross that he possesses is only on the surface. His position as the Prince of the kingdom is his doorway to glory, and he knows this. He has a deep seeded hatred for the Moors and their religion, and would rather see them exterminated from the face of Gods Earth. For now he acts the subservient to his father, letting him think he has him under his control, but Affonso's true motive is to claim the seat of power for himself. It seems his father is completely unaware of this. Only his sister, Princess Maria, knows of his plans.

Ambitions:
    ~Take the throne from his father
    ~Unify the Peninsula
    ~Eliminate All Muslim Factions

The only daughter of the crown to survive she has been transformed into a hard woman. Her elegance was robbed from her as a child, during one of the many uprising she was accosted by the peasant rebels and served them as their whore before she was rescued. She now carries this shame with her always along with a deep seeded hatred for men. The only exception to this is her brother, whom she is fully comfortable around. The two of them share their plans for glory often, and she is the only person who knows of the treachery her brother is plotting. She has submitted herself to her brother many times, the only man she is capable of both physically and emotionally loving. Her only goal in life is to see her brother succeed.

Ambitions:
    ~The successful execution of Affonso's plans July 27, 1080

My Father has ordered me to the Spanish city of Leon, yet the enemies of our good lord lie to the south. The lands that they hold there are more than ripe for the picking...they are...defenseless to the word of god. Yet Father orders me still to march upon our Christian brothers.

It had to have been done at some point though...the defeat of the Spanish. They are our biggest threat to the unification of the peninsula under the glorious name of the Portuguese...but still...

July 30, 1080

We are drawing nearer to the border between my people and the Spanish. It seems too easy; the invasion of their territory, but it must be the blessing of the lord...for what little that means...

August 2, 1080

Maria, my beloved sister left the army today. She is to follow my father’s orders. She truly is loyal to me, and my plans. Outside of Lopo, she is the only one I may truly trust...

Still...her mind has become wrought with madness...a dire condition, may Gods meager blessings go to her soul.

~Excerpts from Prince Affonso's Personal Journal

In The Name of Unification
    Summer~1080~

As the civil war in the Portuguese territory of Lisbon slowly ceases under the rule of King Henrique he quickly orders his son, Prince Affonso, to cross into the Spanish region of Leon and quickly seize their capital.

Affonso, who would rather take the Muslim city of Cordoba to the south, reluctantly follows his father’s orders. The destruction of the Spanish had to come about at some point, Affonso just wished for it to be after the Moors were pushed out of the peninsula.

His father quickly sets out to build a church in the capital city to combat the ever spreading atrocity that went by the name of Islam. Though the leaders of both the Moorish lands and Henrique father agreed to the peaceful facilitation of both religions, this is quickly coming to a halt. Stories of the raping of Christian women and razing of Christian settlements on the border separating the two nations are rampant throughout the many inns that dot the countryside.

The last living Princess of Portugal, Maria, sets out to make contact with the Moors her brother loathes and stops to rest at an Inn a little ways into the region of Cordoba. Here she briefly crosses path with her brothers close friend, and personal spy, Lopo.

With great caution I took the first steps into the rustic Inn. At first I was met with glances of curiosity that soon turned into lecherous stares at the contours of my body. How men disgust me.

Most of them seemed to be of Moorish decent, bearing tanned skin, hair black as coal, and monstrous beards that enveloped their chins. A few good Christian men sat towards the back, as if trying to hide their presence from God in the shame that they must mingle with such...unholy creatures.

I moved towards them, my personal guards forming a crescent blocking the hands of any man who tried to touch my flesh.

"Mi'lady." One of the guards, Adao. A fair man, little older than I, with a crown of earthly brown hair atop his head and a mustache to match warming his upper lip.” I think that is Lopo," He points to a man who is roaring with laughter seated at a table to the dark corners of the Inn.

"Hmm," Memories of him rushed into my mind, "Yes...I do believe that you are right Adao," His face brightened with pride, for I had remembered his name, "That is Lopo."

A few rushed steps brought me to the man. His hood was down, careless of him, revealing his lightly tanned face to all. His devilish charms, and they are quite devilish for many a woman has succumbed to his face and months later bear his child, in plain view.

"Lopo." My voice shard as the steel he wore at his hip.

"Ahhh...seems as if you have made it my fair Princess."

Princess, the word stopped all conversation stopped. Ears pricked to listen intently. How I abhor men and their foolish curiosity.

"Lopo, have you no tact!? Announcing my royal blood to these...creatures, have you not thought of what harm may come to me and thus my mission!?" I had bent over, whispering the words harshly into his ear.

This provoked him to nudge me back a step or two, though he may not look it he is quite strong.

"Relax," his voice as soft as the fabric from the odd yellow men who spoke in tongues I had heard tales about, “These men," he smiled, "Are all under my thumb."

He quickly stood, "Isn't that right!" He shouted. All the men replied in a chorus of decadence "Yes!" Even a few tarts at the bar spoke up, their high-pitched shrills rising above all.

"Ugh," I said as I dropped my formal stance and sat down across from him, pushing a Moorish warrior he had been questioning out of the seat.

"Come we must discuss my brothers plans." I exclaimed in a low whisper as the noise picked up, drowning out our perfidious plans.

Across the kingdoms on the fringe of the known world lies the castle of Pamplona. Originally it had not been under the name control of King Henrique, but after the sudden deaths of two formal lords the current governor, Johao, allied himself and his fiefdom with the Kingdom of Portugal. Due to his sudden ascension to the seat of power, he was the second son of the previous lord, he knows little of governing. He quickly sets out to build roads throughout his domain and hopes to complete them by the end of the year. An emissary dispatched from the King brings him orders to claim the city a half a years march to the south, Zaragoza. Quickly wanting to please his new lord he sends a small force to lay siege to the settlement.

Winter~1080~

Maria reaches the city of Cordoba. She believes her brother begins to see the cause for her brother’s hatred; these men truly are the one true mistake of God, worshipping their false God 'Allah' and prophet 'Muhammad'. She however is surprised to see Catholic churches in the city, "A true act of God to bring the word of Christ to these men." Is what she calls it. She hastily sets up trade agreements with their Sultan for a mere 700 Florins and leaves the city, seeking the Christian lands to the north, but makes a detour back to the capital under the summons of her father.

Affonso continues his march to the city of Leon, now well into the Spanish territories. Along the way he stops his army to 'visit' a nearby settlement. While there he and his personal guard of knights go into town, stopping momentarily at an Inn for drinks before moving onto the small brothel located on the outskirts of the Spanish settlement.

Johao, the roads now complete, begins construction on a Garrison Quarters to enlist infantrymen to combat any enemy that may arise to threaten the royal family. During the onset of a rather cold November morning a Spanish Princess wanders to the gates of the castle, seeking refuge for a few months to wait out the winter till spring when she can continue her journey to the French Kingdom to the Northeast. Johao greets her warmly and openly, not knowing the Prince marches on the very city she hales from. Over the course of the remainder of the year and into the next year he befriends the Princess and become a close friend to her. She laments often about the troubles of traveling and Johao offers her a solution to her problem; The marriage to Prince Affonso. She delights in the idea, for it would promise her years on end of rest, and agrees immediately.

Here lies the dire mistake of both King Henrique and Johao. King Henrique has kept Johao from the inner war circle, letting onto nothing of his plans to take Leon to Johao. He even went as far as to tell Johao he would be attacking the Moors, not the Spanish. For Henrique, who trusts little in other men outside of his family, does not trust Johao who has only recently joined into the Kingdom. Johao sought only the best intentions, believing that an alliance between Spain and Portugal would facilitate an easy defeat of the Moors. Sending an emissary to King Henrique which led to the bewilderment of the King. He however, using his sharp mind, saw this as an opening. A weak point in the armor of the Spanish. He could use this alliance to secure a safe journey to the Spanish capital, even better if he could gain military access along with it.

The only problem was whether or not his son would consent.

King Henrique quickly sent his own messenger to Prince Affonso, urging him to accept the hand of the Princess. Affonso, who was a week or two away from Leon, was shocked by his father’s willingness to give up his son all in the name of 'unification'.

Does he not have honor?! Affonso thought, his desire to overthrow his father mounting even higher. No...the man does not...He was born from war...his honor died with him soon after Grandfather died...All the more reason to kill the man. I will make a better ruler.

Affonso, however, did acknowledge the genius in his fathers plans. It would ensure a smoother assimilation of the Spanish regions. And the marriage would give Affonso the right to rule over the people. The next morning he quickly turned his personal guard back to the palace where his fiancé was awaiting him, reaching during the month of February

Summer~1081

Affonso, who had spent the past few months in Lisbon with his wife, now sets back out to join his army who must be impetuous as the Leon is well in their sights. He had ordered them to wait for him to return before laying siege and his loyal men obeyed. During the hard ride back into the Spanish territories Affonso contemplates what his next movements shall be. Should he continue to feign love for his wife Teresa, who truly was nothing remarkable. No. The time for their 'love' was soon coming to an end. Love was for the men not born to rule. His only love could be war, and the horrid children that war birthed from her bloody loins. My father seems to be aging well...too well. While in Lisbon Affonso could not believe that his father still was healthy, more than healthy, the man was ready to lead his men to fight many wars. Henrique had even bested his son in a friendly display of swordsmanship, which did not sit well in Affonso's mind.

Affonso's mind soon turned to his sister, his sister whom he sure was beyond madness. He had not heard from her since last year, around June. Whatever could she be up to? His worry was genuine. His sister was one of the few people who still possessed value in his mind. Not even all his knights could amount to the trust and love he placed with the woman. My one weak point if I possess any. The thought echoed in his mind as he rode on to join his men.
    Winter~1081

September 11, 1081

To the eyes of my Lord Prince Affonso,

May it be known that I, Lopo Periz, have infiltrated the capital city of the Moors, Cordoba. It took little effort, just a wagon and a sheet to wrap myself with to appear as a dead body. It was as you predicted my lord, the city is sparsely garrisoned. Only two hundred men at the most are trained soldiers, the rest lambs to the slaughter.

Upon my first day of entry I quickly looked to gain entrance into the Kings Palace. They call him Sultan here. It took a few days before a proper contact was set up, a servant girl who served in the palace was 'convinced' and helped me to gain entry.

As I have not much time I will put it bluntly my lord; I am amazed this man is even in power. Much is spoken about him, little of it is praise. He amounts to even less than your father my lord. He is an old man, deaths embrace only a few years away, yet he still has much youthful 'vigor' to him. Or so I am told by the women. He does, however, hold some control over his men in battle. Though nothing of your caliber.

I must make much haste, the servant girl has alerted the guard and they are closing in. My next report will be from Toledo or the Moorish Castle to the south-east, Grenadea I think.

Also I met up with your sister not too long ago, still mad as ever.

~Signed in the hand of Lope Periz

Far from Lopo the rebels of Zaragoza marched forth a ragged band of half-starved, demoralized men.

The Battle Of Zaragoza
    The battle took place on a clear September afternoon. Captain Rodrigo was quite surprised to see the rebels march forth, having just become 'acquainted' with one of the women who followed his men. Captain Rodrigo's men had little time to prepare a formation as much of them were expecting a peaceful surrender. None the less the men quickly donned their armor and made makeshift formations, waiting for the rebels not too far off

The rebels quickly charged enmasse in hopes of breaking the line of the Militia closest to them. They were met by an onslaught of arrows.

Breaking back quickly they stopped out of the archers range and prepared themselves again, this time with the help of their captain's unit and the cover of their javilinmen.

This time the rebels attack succeeded, the Militia broke their line and the bloody battle began.

The rest of the battle went uneventful. Much to the distress of Rodrigo, who believed that if he has to fight it should be entertaining at least. As he stood atop a freshly made corpse, pulling his bloodied spear from the mans spine he saw not to far from him the enemy collapsing and retreating

"A waste of me time" He scoffed, then turned back around to gouge a wounded rebels eyes out.
    Last edited by nutranurse; December 21, 2006 at 08:57 PM.

Default Re: ~A Portuguese Story~

Too many words.
    Boomtown, Population: You.

What, Should I break it into parts?

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Nice nutranurse. Sent to the After Action Report.
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

The entry has been shortened (for your reading pleasure) Will install the rest at intervals of 2 or so days.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Enjoyable tale. I had to LOL at the melodrama though! Poor princess...

The Kingdom of Portugal during the Year of 1082

Summer~1082

Affonso, who now had rejoined his army, resumes his march on Leon, its walls becoming cleared each day. He had bolstered his forces with the dowry he was given during his wedding, now they welcomed a troop of mercenary Crossbowmen and Spearmen. The leader of the Spearmen had said he knew the layout of Leon like the back of his hand. He even claimed that he had once been the Captain of the Guard till he fell out of favor with the Prince who governed the city. Affonso, who was intrigued by the mans information, quickly hired him. As for the crossbowmen...he just enjoys the company of those men who delighted at the idea of marching against the Moors and their Islamic brothers.

The news of the assimilation brings much pleasure to the ears of Johao. He dispatches an emissary to King Henrique letting him know of his success. In the mean time he sends orders to Captain Rodrigo, who has taken notice of the rebel castle to the south, to stay his spear hand and to begin to govern the city, much to Rodrigo's distress. Johao orders the construction of roads to connect the city to its neighbors and potential trade partners, along with ordering the clearance of the land in his own province to feed to newly recruited troops.

Betrayal of the Cloth
    Summer~1083~

Affonso continues the siege of Leon, worries of his sister now far from his mind. As he watches the rams and siege towers a messenger, bearing the insignia of his father, delivers an urgent message.

My Son,

Today, July 17, 1083, an emissary from the Papal States appeared in my courts. He carried with him a dire message; an order to cease our hostilities against the Spanish or face excommunication if we continue our endeavors. As King of the Portuguese people, and as a Portuguese man myself, it is my sole desire to force the Spanish from the Iberian Peninsula. Yet as a man who fears God and all his might, and thus his holy avatar, I must heed these words.

My Son, I ask of you to call off the siege of Leon. I have sent word to Admiral Martio to sail north from Lisbon's harbors and allow you and your men to board. He will transport you to Lisbon; we will discuss what is to come upon your arrival.

~Signed in the Hand of King Henrique

Dire words indeed. Affonso quickly gathers his men, ordering them to cease the construction of the siege weapons and to gather their things. Their destination has been changed; they will take the Moorish city of Cordoba.

Winter~1083~

News of the Popes request has reached Maria. Abandoning her father’s orders to contact the French, she turns and makes her way back into the Peninsula in hopes of securing a Peace Treaty with the Spanish, for her brother’s sake of course.

Lopo, through his numerous contacts, gets word of the news. He finds the Pope's movement odd; normally the Papal States do not interfere with warring Kingdoms if they are of roughly equal size. Still he turns back from Toledo, sending word to Affonso that he has done so. Thinking a step ahead he sets out for Cordoba, if the Prince can not follow his Fathers orders then surely he will set out on his self-proclaimed crusade against the Moors.

When he reaches Cordoba, under a new guise and less welcoming of naive palace girls, he finds that the once sparsely garrisoned city has been dramatically reinforced.

Summer~1084~

News rushes franticly to the court of King Henrique. His faction has been excommunicated by decree of Pope Gregory. Amazed, shocked, and very much distraught Henrique disappears into his chambers shortly after hearing the news.

Affonso takes to the news vastly different than his father. He quickly sends his army back to Leon while riding out to meet the Admiral and ordering him to blockade the Spanish Port near by.

A day of harsh riding joins him with his army once again. The men are confused about what is going on, few outside of Affonso's Personal Guard know of the Papal States Treachery. He addresses his men the night they make camp aside a Spanish road. He tells them of what has happened and rallies the men to follow God no longer, but the flag of the Portuguese Kingdom. The night sky is filled with cheers for future victories and triumphs.

While the men sleep Affonso sends orders to Lopo, Johao, and Maria.

Lopo receives the news merely days later. Affonso's orders reach him a week after he sets out for Toledo. The day Lopo draws near to the Spanish Castle he uncovers a large army camped outside. He infiltrates the army, discovering the Spain’s intentions in the process; they are going to march against the Prince to the North with this force and are attacking Lisbon with another force that is being recruited. For the first time in many years Lopo experiences fear, not for himself, but for his Kingdom. He leaves the army, which is comprised of many light infantry and spears, and a few units of heavy Calvary and missiles to contact the Prince himself, trusting the information he has to tell to no other outside of the Royal Family. He discovers that Maria is not too far from his position and sends word to her as he sets out for the Prince.

Upon hearing Lopo's words Maria takes it upon herself to help her brother by any means possible. Her hopes of securing a Peace Treaty with the Spanish are quickly tossed aside; the Spanish are preparing for an all out war against her 'heretic' Kingdom, they will not pass up this opportunity to claim more land for their Kingdom. While riding to intercept the Spanish army she dwells upon Lopo's words.

"How can I possibly stop an entire army?"

She then recalls that in Lopo's report the army was headed by a General, not a member of the Spanish Royal Family; an unhappy General. She smiles, having found a weak spot in the Spaniards armor, as she sets out to steal away an asset from her enemy, even if it means sacrificing herself. After all, it will be for the good of her beloved brother.

Winter~1084~

Vaasco, man who shows an undying dedication for his wife. Though his love may be unrequited he will not falter. His loyalty to the Spanish Crown was little, but his dedication to his new Kingdom is almost immeasurable. His men are shocked at his sudden defection; how is it possible for their former commander, a man they held much respect for, desert them for a woman?!. Even the King of Spain, Afonso, is shocked by this sudden turn of events. Vaasco's former army quickly attacks him and the few knights that are loyal to him. Vaasco retreats, but is hounded mercilessly till he stations himself on the border of Zaragoza and Toledo, his 'beautiful' wife at his side.

As he and his ragged unit of Knights ride into the city of Zaragoza he is hailed as "brave" to stand up to such a mighty army and live to tell about it. They claim him to be a "fair fighter" for his men even captured a few peasants during the fight and released them soon after. However the veil of bliss is now falling from his eyes. He notices over the next few mornings that his "wife lacks charm", thus causing him to avoid any urges to 'conquer' her in the privacy of their room. Soon the people of Zaragoza title him as their governor, he accepts the title graciously, welcoming a change of pace in his life.

Neither man knows what Maria has done, how she has 'conquered' a man with her non-existent charm. When Lopo reaches Affonso he reports his findings. Affonso in turn begins to contemplate a plan of action.

His father, Henrique, has not been heard from in months. News is that the only times he leaves his chambers is to beg for forgiveness in his personal chapel. This effectively puts Affonso in the role of King in all but name. He would be rejoicing in his father's ineptness if it were not for the unnerving news of a massive Spanish Army readying itself to the south. The siege of Leon is lifted; it would be pointless to take the city for it would become his prison in the matter of months.

He orders Lopo back to the Toledo region, his expertise in subtly is needed to spy on the massing armies of the Spanish. Affonso's new plan is to attack the Spain’s forces directly, and from there he can take the cities with relative ease. He sends word to his father, Johao, and Zaragoza requesting that each city send any men they can muster to join his army.

The morning he dispatches the riders who will carry the messages the rider due Southeast to Zaragoza turns back to impart information he has just found. It seems that a small Spanish Army has left Leon and is marching to the South, most likely to join the massing armies that are camped outside of Toledo. The news at first puts Affonso into a distraught state, then he delights at what he perceives as Spain’s folly. A plan has hatched in his mind, and within the hour his men are mobilized to intercept the Spanish Army. Affonso hopes that the attack will draw the Spanish Prince, who still resides in Leon, out.

"I will be killing two birds with one stone." He tells himself as approaches the Spanish Army, their banners on the horizon.
    Battle of Two Princes
    On a cold afternoon Affonso's forces catch up to the Spanish Army. Affonso's thinking could not be better, his men are positioned next to a cliff that is accessible from two ways.

He positions his missile units, four crossbows and one longbow, along the edge of the cliff. His bodyguard, infantrymen, and spearmen guard the slope left of the missile units. His plan is not to attack, such a thing would be a waste. Instead he orders all his men to guard their positions and await the army...

As the tiny Spanish force draws near the Prince, who is to reinforce the main army, is seen on the white horizon. A smile creeps onto Affonso's face as a symphony of arrows whistling through the crispy air plays behind him.

Distraught the Spanish force retreats from the Cliffside, moving to another in hopes of a safe passage...

...but no such passage is granted. Arrows continue to hail from the heavens as they begin another climb....

Disheartened the enemy begins to route...

Only to be slaughtered from behind by the Prince and his force of bloodthirsty Calvary.

Smiling, face covered with blood of a fallen enemy, Affonso motions his men to attack the Spanish Prince who is stationed to the West.

The Prince, being no fool and knowing when defeat is upon him, turns tail and flees. Affonso calls a halt to his men, "It is pointless for the men to chase after an enemy who is seated on horse..." Affonso turns his horse round, gripping the reigns of his saddle tightly. Even though he has won the battlethe Spanish Prince has escaped and with him Affonso's first step for victory against the Spanish.

sweet!, we want more

Numenor's Avatar Campidoctor

very nice indeed. keep it going.
    [IMG]

Attention This AAR is over, the save file was deleted...Sorry to let you all down, and trust me I can assure you that I am more pissed than all of you readers combinded...

I will, however, be doing a new AAR as soon as I decide a faction to play. I am open to suggestions.

~Thank you to all who read.