Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Territorial dispute: Morocco versus the European Court of Justice - who is right?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Territorial dispute: Morocco versus the European Court of Justice - who is right?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    I don't know how Morocco deals with migration, but I do know they've got a very strong policy of countering jihadism. All mosques are closely monitored by the government, and all imams are carefully monitored and examined. Before they are allowed near a mosque, they have to accept the official moderate and inclusive form of the faith, which does not allow people with extreme ideas. If anyone tries to use religion to stir up problems, they go straight to the jail.

Thanks to these sensible precautions, there has not been a single terrorist incident since 2011. Before that, the only example I am aware of was in 2003. That's two incidents, compared against at least seven major incidents in Europe over the same period. I have previously suggested that European countries could learn a thing or two from Morocco on this issue.
    You might wish to rethink the numbers, because they do not support your otherwise sound point: Two incidents in a country of 33 million inhabitants is a higher occurence rate than 7 among a population of ~500 million people. (2/33 ~ 0.061, 7/500 = 0.014)
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Territorial dispute: Morocco versus the European Court of Justice - who is right?

I don't know how Morocco deals with migration, but I do know they've got a very strong policy of countering jihadism. All mosques are closely monitored by the government, and all imams are carefully monitored and examined. Before they are allowed near a mosque, they have to accept the official moderate and inclusive form of the faith, which does not allow people with extreme ideas. If anyone tries to use religion to stir up problems, they go straight to the jail.

Thanks to these sensible precautions, there has not been a single terrorist incident since 2011. Before that, the only example I am aware of was in 2003. That's two incidents, compared against at least seven major incidents in Europe over the same period. I have previously suggested that European countries could learn a thing or two from Morocco on this issue.
    Regarding migration, Thousands of immigrants "living" in camps for months. When the police decide to extradite them, they simply put them on a bus into the desert.
    Congratulations on being victorious in the Morocco vs. Europe competition of terrorist attacks. The advantages (very few) of a dictatorial regime.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Regarding migration, Thousands of immigrants "living" in camps for months. When the police decide to extradite them, they simply put them on a bus into the desert.
    Congratulations on being victorious in the Morocco vs. Europe competition of terrorist attacks. The advantages (very few) of a dictatorial regime.
    It's not a dictatorial regime, it's a constitutional monarchy. Muhammad VI is genuinely liked by his people and is surprisingly popular.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

It's not a dictatorial regime, it's a constitutional monarchy. Muhammad VI is genuinely liked by his people and is surprisingly popular.
    Surprised to see you are fine with monarchies with real powers in the XXI century.

Morocco is a constitutional monarchy with an elected parliament. The King of Morocco holds vast executive and legislative powers, especially over the military, foreign policy and religious affairs. Executive power is exercised by the government, while legislative power is vested in both the government and the two chambers of parliament, the Assembly of Representatives and the Assembly of Councillors. The king can issue decrees called dahirs which have the force of law. He can also dissolve the parliament after consulting the Prime Minister and the president of the Constitutional court. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morocco

Regarding popularity, Ceaucescu, Franco or Kim Jong Il were extremely popular too.

I asked you before why this support to the Moroccan regime. Every time I am more astonished.
    Last edited by mishkin; January 10, 2017 at 02:53 PM.

We really don't want to tinker with that in Morocco, in case someone we really disagree with wins an election.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    I asked you before why this support to the Moroccan regime. Every time I am more astonished.
    I'm not exactly a "supporter" of morocco, but Moroccan Monarchy didn't have a Civil War in Arab Spring, and stayed quite stable, compared to say, Lybia or Syria (non-Monarchies; they are/were Republics). Given the alternative would/could be risk of civil war with many thousands dead, maybe the regime is the lesser of problems.
    Last edited by fkizz; January 10, 2017 at 05:07 PM.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    Well it's very onesided isn't it? EU so worried about the source of 1% of its trade while full of problems at home.
    1% of EU exports is $268 million, Fkizz. Yes, it's important and you don't really understand the scale of the EU if you don't understand that.

Also... why the do you think the EU challenging domestic issues and managing foreign trade must be mutually exclusive?

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    We really don't want to tinker with that in Morocco, in case someone we really disagree with wins an election.
    I'm not exactly a "supporter" of morocco, but Moroccan Monarchy didn't have a Civil War in Arab Spring, and stayed quite stable, compared to say, Lybia or Syria (non-Monarchies; they are/were Republics). Given the alternative would/could be risk of civil war with many thousands dead, maybe the regime is the lesser of problems.
    Sadly I agree; I choose pragmatic tranquillity over ideological meddling any day. The US stamping all over Iraq and Afghanistan has uncorked a lot of genies that were better left in the bottle.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    1% of EU exports is $268 million, Fkizz.
    If 1% is $268 million (assuming your numbers are correct) then what does that make the remaining 99%?

$28 900 million (or $28,9 billion depending on anglo vs imperial nomenclature that may get confusing to someone used to imperial). Feel free to correct the equation numbers if I'm wrong.

Which one of them holds more weight? Which one of them is the higher number? $268 million or 28,9$ billion?

And it is utterly obvious one side has much more weight in the table than the other in this negociation, why do we have to play pretend this is some fairy land.
    Last edited by fkizz; January 11, 2017 at 03:45 PM.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

If 1% is $268 million (assuming your numbers are correct) then what does that make the remaining 99%?

$28 900 million (or $28,9 billion depending on anglo vs imperial nomenclature that may get confusing to someone used to imperial). Feel free to correct the equation numbers if I'm wrong.

Which one of them holds more weight? Which one of them is the higher number? $268 million or 28,9$ billion?

And it is utterly obvious one side has much more weight in the table than the other in this negociation, why do we have to play pretend this is some fairy land.
    Um, yes, you're right the EU has a stronger negotiating position. But you're trying to move the goal posts again, you were arguing that the EU shouldn't be doing this and instead focus on domestic problems. I've pointed out the EU can do both, and yes trade with Morocco is valuable to the EU.

Um, yes, you're right the EU has a stronger negotiating position.
    Maybe first time you say I'm right about something?
    But you're trying to move the goal posts again, you were arguing that the EU shouldn't be doing this and instead focus on domestic problems. I've pointed out the EU can do both, and yes trade with Morocco is valuable to the EU.
    No goal posts moved, same concerns since post #1 in this thread.

The moroccan one possibly yes, the domestic european problems? They grew large enough to allow Brexit to happen. So being able to do both is an unprobable outcome.
    Last edited by fkizz; January 11, 2017 at 06:03 PM.

-George Orwell

Fkizz, I don't understand why you lie about your own posts:

It's quite odd why EU is so worried about Western Sahara when it has so many problems in Europe.
    Last edited by Tiberios; January 12, 2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Disruptive comment removed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234