Thread: So has anyone figured out the FPS problem yet?

Default So has anyone figured out the FPS problem yet?

Well my new rig just got here a couple days ago and I immediately install a bunch of total war games onto it naturally. Its a powerful rig, the best PC I've ever owned by far. In Rome 2 I get 60 FPS Ultra on every setting without exception. Even zoomed in on massive blobs of troops no frame drops with V-Sync enabled. Constant buttery-smooth 60 FPS.

Warhammer Total War I also have all settings turned to Ultra. With V-Sync enabled I get a very reliable 60 FPS, only dropping to 58-55 FPS when some kind of crazy effect or something like that is going on but its rare. Again very close to 100% 60 FPS on Ultra.

And then there is Attila. This doesn't even make sense. On Ultra settings I get 60 FPS sure....until the fighting starts. It'll run at 60 FPS until maybe 2 min in to the fighting, then I'll get constant slow downs to 50, then 40, even in the 30s FPS at certain angles. My rig destroys the Total War game made before Attila, and the game made AFTER Attila. Yet it struggles for constant 60 FPS with Attila? I honestly don't get it. The only way I have achieved 60 FPS at all times is turning the shadows off and lowering Unit Detail to Max Performance. Every other setting is maxed out to Ultra. Changing any other setting besides Shadows or Unit Detail has literally zero affect on my FPS.

So the game has been out for a while and I was just wondering if some kind of "cure" was ever discovered for this games FPS issues? Thanks guys.

Groovy

Default Re: So has anyone figured out the FPS problem yet?

It's a very poorly optimized game. Rome 2 ran better for me than Attila with an older rig and and an inferior video card.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

I don't understand its foundationally VERY similar to Rome 2? Its basically a glorified DLC. How could they have messed up Optimization between the two games? Then it seems they found their way again with Warhammer. I guess a better question is why haven't they patched it up over the months to be better optimized? I'm sorry my mind is just getting blown trying to figure out how this has slipped through the cracks.

Groovy

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

I haven't played much of Rome 2 in the past year. I'm much more of an Attila guy.

However, I fired up Rome 2 a couple of days ago and I was shocked by how well the game played on my computer compared to the lag fest that's Attila. I really wonder what's so different about Attila (from Rome 2) that led to the terrible optimization. I do feel that this an issue that needs to be brought up more.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

So yeah, this issue still plagues me and I want to keep the issue in the light. Attila may seem old at this point and people might say "who cares play a newer game" but the fact is its the newest historical title we have. Its still relevant to a lot of people. So I really would like to try to, at the very least, figure out WHY its happening. Obviously only CA will really be able to do anything about it. But if we find the WHY it'll bring us that much closer to an answer.

So I'm guessing some peoples' rig can run this game well. I guess this because if this problem affected everyone I would assume it would be outraged across the forum. So we need to figure out what "type" of rig runs this game well. Notice I say "type" not "power level" because again, my new rig I just recently got destroys damn near everything on the market today (including Warhammer, a more graphic intensive Total War game) on Ultra settings.

So if anyone runs this game at a constant 60 FPS on decently high settings, even zoomed in on the blobs and far into the battle (not just the beginning because my problems occur several minutes into the melee) please let us know your set-up. It may lead to some answers. Thank you.

Groovy