Thread: Takshashila thoughts

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Default Takshashila thoughts

1.2 version, Normal/Normal

I started the Campaign 4-5 times, trying different aproaches because I got defeated every time (cool )
    The only way I discovered so far to survive is to expend in Arabia.

Anyway, I have noticed some things:

1. Every time (at least once, usually 2-3 times) a plague hit my towns or armies. Usually in the worst moments
    I never experience this with any other faction.
    So, is this on purpose? Or a little bug? This mechanic is interesting but maybe should happen to all faction? I don't know.. I wonder.

2. Takshashila starts with 2 regions. When I succeded to conquer Drangiana and have the Maka region, in the Province Effects Panel - button left corner, not all 3 regions appear, only the original 2. I think it'a a bug

3. Maybe the general should start the game with the Elephant unit?

4. About Dignitary randomness (or lack of it)
    My first Dignitary always starts with -2 growth
    My second Dignitary 99% of times starts with - 3 growth
    So I have to kill my second one and hope the next one would be a little better (-1 or -2 usually)

5. My Spy always starts with 4-5 skils on red..

6. My Spy everytime gets the Pet Snake ancillary - no randomness
    It would be nice if you could also enhanced this part of the game - the ancillary in general

7. Also, another part of the game that is not touched are the Objectives.
    Takshashila first objective it to have 9 Regions. It's too much!

8. I think Takshashila is the most exotic faction in the game. Maybe they will also get some love, like the greeks now
    At least some unique units for the generals.

9. I noticed something strange.
    On the diplomacy map. When I click on any 2 other faction to see their diplomacy, the numbers are different.
    For ex, if I click on Macedon, let's say they have -10 to Egypt, but when I click on Egypt, they have + 50 to Macedon

10. The Adopt General staff is broken. If I don't have a General available for my party, I can recruit one from o different party and immediately adopt him for a 50 gold or something.. Same thing later in the game, when a General changes my party.

11. In Arabia, why my farms are self destroing, even no enemy is in the province? It happened multiple times. My food is on +
    Last edited by suras333; May 13, 2017 at 09:56 AM.

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Takshashila thoughts

1. I believe it's tied to regions/provinces since I've had a lot more of these events in certain regions (Africa near Sahara for example), but not entirely sure since I haven't looked these things up in PFM yet. Perhaps Dresden can enlighten us on the subject!

2. There's a hard-cap on regional/provincial icon amounts. Due to how the Creative Assembly hard-coded the game only six of these can show up at a time meaning you'll never be able to see all of them if you for example own a three or four region province (sucks especially when you own world wonders and want to see what effects they give).

4 & 5. The starting agents have pre-set skills. As for the ones in the pool, it's simply RNG.

6. Agree here, more ancillaries is a great idea!

8. Takashila has a lot of units and I don't think they're really in "need" of a lot more. They have lots of exotic units just like you wrote, from elephants, chariots, two-handed axe/mace wielders, longbowmen, horse archers, heavy armoured infantry etc~ Perhaps more bodyguard options unlock at reforms like the way it works for many other factions? I haven't played or checked them in the bodyguard-table yet.

9. Faction x can like faction z more than faction z likes faction x. Each diplomacy screen for each faction is their opinion of the other. For example Ptolematoi might love Antigonids since they fight the same enemy, but Ptolematoi entered a region belonging to the Antigonids without military access. That means the Antigonids will start getting angry over it.

10. Not sure what you mean but sounds like game limitations!

11. Farms are getting ruined due to supplies being in the negative (too many soldiers being in that region).
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

10. I think that adopting a general from another faction should be more costly / harder

11. No army in the region and supplies being positive, that's the problem. I don't understand why and what to do..

Thanks for the rest of answers

I have played them several times as well, I had one very successful campaign where I took Arabia and Egypt before going to war with selucids, the main problem I had was the supply system is majorly screwed in the Far East to the point I couldn't take in the eastern factions because plague unseasonal conditions and summer crushed ever army after taking one city, I stoped my save because it's no fun to deal with, I have plenty of food from Egypt but even with supply chains and pack animals army's have to retreat after taking one city because of massive starvation, and then the comp just takes the city back. I even had like 6 army's pushing the attack and cycling out of region but it's unplayable. You cannot go north as taski or your units just die to the summer and have to retreat. And then they have to retreat like all the way out of the east even though I have plenty of food and happieness game just hates those regions. Never run into anything like it with any other faction.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

There is a reason why those regions were mostly avoided If just marching through Gedrosia was so costly in human lives then doing a campaign there should be even worse.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

The events/plagues/earthquakes repeatedly hitting one region more than others is a bug in the base game with their random selection for dilemmas, unfortunately. It just seems that their RNG is awful on that.

For ancillaries, we have a ton of them in the game but many are very specifically triggered or only for certain factions. We probably need to flesh that out some more at some point for some of the cultures.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    There is a reason why those regions were mostly avoided If just marching through Gedrosia was so costly in human lives then doing a campaign there should be even worse.
    And that's how we like it. The rough and Historical way.

lol kam ironically never had trouble in gerosia. It was Parthia, and aria that are the problem

What are you guys doing to take out Arabian armies? I find that when I attempt to draw them out via raiding I lose men every summer, while they are fine. This particular problem is something I haven't solved yet, but I agree Arabia is the place to start on Taksashila. I would love some advice here, because this faction is awesome.

two words, supply ships

I had a successful Taksashila campaign in 1.1 on Vh/vh, yet I don't know how much translates on the new map but my basic strategy was to eliminate Bactria asap. They have a region with gold, giving you money and incentivizing other factions to trade with you. Don't get into a war with the Seleucids and all of their satrapies too early or you'll be in for a rough time. The longbow archers are incredibly powerful. Most of the eastern factions don't have the armor to avoid being melted by these. The roster is quite diverse as a whole, making them a fun faction to play as.

Unfortunately Baktria's start position is separated from Taksashila now by a couple satrapies, so no can do. As an aside, I've found the eastern satrapies a little sturdier now that many of them use Sparabara as a somewhat large contingent of their infantry.

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by ablebodie View Post
    Unfortunately Baktria's start position is separated from Taksashila now by a couple satrapies, so no can do. As an aside, I've found the eastern satrapies a little sturdier now that many of them use Sparabara as a somewhat large contingent of their infantry.
    Oh yes, those sparabaras are scary! As the Arsacids beating indians, baktrians and saka was easy. But as soon as you start fighting the persians, their sparabaras counter your HA and archers completely and give your melee a run for their money. I had to resort to diplomacy and subterfuge, creating tributaries and making them fight each other because it's very hard to beat them pre-reforms as Parthia.
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)