Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    The Seleucids not breaking up was one of the biggest complaints in previous DeI versions. It made the eastern factions almost unplayable. So, its ironic that now it is seen as a negative that they do break up
    Oh boy. I remember that one. We can't please everyone in life or gaming, that's for sure.

As much as I love the work and care you've given to Carthage overhaul, its reforms are a mess. First you have to meet and sustain the required imperium level, then you have to wait for the greeks to reach their reforms (both of them) in order to get your new and improved troops, which is a gamble since every greek nation can get wiped out before their thorax reforms. Then you have to also research punicisation, which is tied to some troops you get from the greek reforms. Very shaky structure. I once had recruited thorax spearmen and liby-phoenician swords and after 2 or 3 turns they get auto-disbanded and they can't be recruited anymore unless I research puncisation, which made only one of them available again. Even the AoR units in Africa province that you get on the 3rd level settlements are the first libyan troops you get before the first thureos reform, the ones armed with daggers, even though you already passed the reforms. It's very confusing.
    Carthage was a powerful, distinct nation with its own culture. Carthage shouldn't depend on greek reforms, especially when they have to go to war with Rome that has its own reforms. It's absurd that, playing as Carthage, and already starting at imperium level 4, with 2 nations as satrapies and at war with Epirus, a greek nation, to have to rely on greek reforms. It's preposterous that a huge juggernaut of a nation, the arch-rival of Rome, could have to rely on the survival of small greek states like Knossos or Massalia or Kyrenaike to reach its reforms. It's like you don't get to use fire unless a certain tribe, not just any tribe, discovers it.
    Carthage should have its own reforms, implemented in a simple, flexible and logical way, just like the other big cultures have it currently in the game (imperium level and turn number), without relying on other cultures or having to meet other absurd requirements like fighting a set number of battles with Rome (like the Getae/Dacian reforms- what if Rome gets wiped out by Epirus and the Etruscans early? no reforms for dacians?) or maintaining certain provinces for a number of turns.
    Last edited by Vladdy Daddy; June 21, 2018 at 06:36 PM.

ScipioTheGreat's Avatar Miles

@Dresden what are you thoughts about Carthage though? I’m curious if they need some sort of boost to help them become more of a presence in Spain. To be fair, a large portion of the military power was a result of their holdings there, whether it be the arms industry or manpower. And it also allowed them to pull off one of the greatest invasions in history. Maybe an Auto-resolve boost against the tribes would help them exploit Cartha nova better so they’re not always stuck or lose it over time

Hi, where can i see projectile block chance?

PS: I've been playing this mod for a few weeks i'm having lots of fun thanks for making this mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladdy Daddy View Post
    As much as I love the work and care you've given to Carthage overhaul, its reforms are a mess. First you have to meet and sustain the required imperium level, then you have to wait for the greeks to reach their reforms (both of them) in order to get your new and improved troops, which is a gamble since every greek nation can get wiped out before their thorax reforms. Then you have to also research punicisation, which is tied to some troops you get from the greek reforms. Very shaky structure. I once had recruited thorax spearmen and liby-phoenician swords and after 2 or 3 turns they get auto-disbanded and they can't be recruited anymore unless I research puncisation, which made only one of them available again. Even the AoR units in Africa province that you get on the 3rd level settlements are the first libyan troops you get before the first thureos reform, the ones armed with daggers, even though you already passed the reforms. It's very confusing.
    Carthage was a powerful, distinct nation with its own culture. Carthage shouldn't depend on greek reforms, especially when they have to go to war with Rome that has its own reforms. It's absurd that, playing as Carthage, and already starting at imperium level 4, with 2 nations as satrapies and at war with Epirus, a greek nation, to have to rely on greek reforms. It's preposterous that a huge juggernaut of a nation, the arch-rival of Rome, could have to rely on the survival of small greek states like Knossos or Massalia or Kyrenaike to reach its reforms. It's like you don't get to use fire unless a certain tribe, not just any tribe, discovers it.
    Carthage should have its own reforms, implemented in a simple, flexible and logical way, just like the other big cultures have it currently in the game (imperium level and turn number), without relying on other cultures or having to meet other absurd requirements like fighting a set number of battles with Rome (like the Getae/Dacian reforms- what if Rome gets wiped out by Epirus and the Etruscans early? no reforms for dacians?) or maintaining certain provinces for a number of turns.
    Global reforms are simply based on turn numbers, they don't require an imperium level unlike the player-side reforms. The current reform system was chosen because there appeared to be little evidence of Carthage having a systematic reform of their troops and rather developing based on their contacts with foreign powers, so following the greek reform system made sense.
    EDIT: a new upgrade tech will also be added to Carthage to remedy bugs with the thorax reform.
    Last edited by Dardo21; June 22, 2018 at 10:06 AM.

I remember finding it frustrating waiting 100 turns as Bactria to even complete my second province, because it was held by a satrapy that stayed loyal forever, even with me offering 100k mnai or whatever our unit is. The current edition is so much better. If it comes at a predictable turn, that's far better than it never coming.

If anything, I much prefer the more complicated reforms of, say, EB2 that their engine permits and find the requirements here a little simplistic. I applaud the unique reform systems with Battles vs Rome, Greek reforms for Carthaginian changes, etc.

I've never had any major nation like 'all the Greek states' or 'Rome' wiped out anywhere near early enough to interfere with reforms. Are you playing as a blitz, or are your fellow AI blitzing? You might prefer Cultural Tensio, then, to slow things down. I haven't played DEI without it recently, so maybe the base mod can get a little blitzy? It just hasn't been my experience that one of the requirements would be unattainable due to someone that major buckling under early.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Erasglor View Post
    Hi, where can i see projectile block chance?

PS: I've been playing this mod for a few weeks i'm having lots of fun thanks for making this mod.
    In game files only as UI display of it is not working properly if I remember.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

How about small Veneti changes? I've had envious eye on their fat spears ( hastati opimi Veneti ) and chosen swords ( Veneti extraordinarii ) for a while, but can't seem to levy 'em even with lvl3 barracks present. Might need lvl4, but I think that'll be like imperian times if I wait AI for build that Also their equites opimi Veneti could maybe be present even on lvl2 horse pens?

Quote Originally Posted by H-Khan View Post
    How about small Veneti changes? I've had envious eye on their fat spears ( hastati opimi Veneti ) and chosen swords ( Veneti extraordinarii ) for a while, but can't seem to levy 'em even with lvl3 barracks present. Might need lvl4, but I think that'll be like imperian times if I wait AI for build that Also their equites opimi Veneti could maybe be present even on lvl2 horse pens?
    The 2 infantry units are not recruitable with a lvl 3 barracks? They ought to be according to the recruitment roster so that could be a bug then.

There is something wrong with how the Carthaginian garrisons are set up.

The Carthaginian militia are described as hoplites, are armed as hoplites, and are the core garrison component of Carthage in line with the Hellenic hoplite garrisons. Yet they are unable to form a hoplite phalanx.

Meanwhile the Libyan spearmen, who are given a supplemetary role in Carthaginian garrisons, are armed haphazardly with oval shields and smaller wicker shields with barely any visible armour, and are described as the core melee component of the Carthaginian garrisons. Despite looking like poor levies, these units can form a hoplite phalanx

Are you using the beta ?

I am using the June 18 version of DeI from here.

He's right, the Libyan spearmen have the hoplite formation, but with a much lower armor rating than regular hoplites, I don't see regular hoplites in the garrison, maybe they use ones from another faction? The militia are named hoplites but have lower stats and no hoplite formation.

Ok post it in the bugs thread then and we could discuss it there. I haven't checked them lately but it sounds wrong indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    The 2 infantry units are not recruitable with a lvl 3 barracks? They ought to be according to the recruitment roster so that could be a bug then.
    AI can recruit them, hell even build a orthodox legion with 9 chosen swords + command unit 3 javs + 3 cav and 4 spears. I never was able to levy them myself tho.. even several versions back. I've loved Veneti ever since like rome1 and EB or RS I think they almost deserve to be their own faction with such a awesome roster!

I've loved Veneti ever since like rome1 and EB or RS I think they almost deserve to be their own faction with such a awesome roster!
    They're one of my favorites too.

Shame I never got to try those phalangite spears of theirs.. maybe as Illyrians, Gauls or as Carthage

Edit: Maybe that non-show as levy has something to do with fact that they're also general units for Veneti ( faction unique or something ). Also noticed that they got fat hoplites too! hoplitae opimi Veneti that don't show up either.. can't remember seeing those as command unit tho.
    Last edited by H-Khan; June 22, 2018 at 04:33 PM.

I've loved Veneti ever since like rome1 and EB or RS I think they almost deserve to be their own faction with such a awesome roster!
    Is there a submod that makes this possible (paging Crynsos etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    He's right, the Libyan spearmen have the hoplite formation, but with a much lower armor rating than regular hoplites, I don't see regular hoplites in the garrison, maybe they use ones from another faction? The militia are named hoplites but have lower stats and no hoplite formation.
    I believe the libyan unit is the higher tier unit and that is why they received the phalanx formation. The other one is a militia unit and is lower tier.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----