Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Impressions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Do reforms for the AI require an Imperium level? Rome just hit Marian reforms and they only control Italy. Now they're chasing my armies with legionnaires and I'm kinda scared.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

As our sticked guide states, AI is only turn resctricted.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

So, garrisons.... I can't help but think a half to full stack is a bit excessive for a garrison. Is this done to limit AI expansion? Just wondering what the thought process is for their existing size.

Garrison units are sub par so its not really equivalent to a normal half stack.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Garrison units are sub par so its not really equivalent to a normal half stack.
    Yes, indeed. Regardless, I've seen some peculiar AI behavior. As an example, the AI marching a stack into enemy territory, parking it next to a settlement and fortifying for 4+ turns. Even seen this happen when the AI army had quality units that should be able to steamroll the garrison. Wondering if it has something to do with the total number of men.

The main reason I mentioned it is so many freebie troops feels a bit excessive. They are sub par units but 12-20 units worth of men is still a significant number.

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

Hey DeI team

One small thing - you guys stated in some comments that Carthage may get an overhaul. As a die hard lover of the faction I immediately got very intrigued by this information!

Could you guys uncover some more information on this topic?
    From my experience (I played 200~ turns with carthage on normal to learn how DeI works, scrapped the campaign, played some hellenic factions for a while and came back to Carthage campaign on hard now) I feel that you giys could rework basically five things:

1) unique merc roster - I feel like we could use some Celtic cav mercs here? Hannibal used them (and Numidians) to a great extent in Battle of Canae for example and were overall employed by Carthage on numerous occasions

2) infantry - I found that elite liby-phoenician infantry were not very useful in my campaigns and I added them to armies just because they provided some variety not because of their stats. They have similar stats to other units of their kind (late libyan swordmen for example) but lack any kind of missile weapon which really hinders their usability. Once u get techs / general traits, other units got 2 javs giving them much more utility on the battlefield. I would suggest giving them better swords or more advanced formations (which Carthaginians could have learned from fighting the Romans all the time. Learning the tactics of the enemy and then employing them against the enemy is essential thing in war after all) to differentiate them from other units at your disposal. I would also suggest making post reform late libyans swords more of a medium inf than heavy one - you have new carthaginian inf to fit that role and you have also elite loby inf + heavy iberian swords to do the frontline kills.

3) Barracks - I feel that lvl 2 barracks is basically useless to build for major part of early game. You have good merc roster to help in figthing immediate threats. Lvl 1 barracks give you basically all you need - cav, peltasts, hoplites and swordsmen, while lvl 2 gives you shock cav + some pathetic spears (could you buff em maybe? I have yet to find use for them - libyan hoplites are slightly more expensive and nuch better so I always use them as levies if I need to do so). I'd suggest moving swords and maybe peltasts to lvl 2 barracks just to make it more useful in early-mid game.

4) Beginning state of your empire - it feels so artificial to make their cities so basic in the beginning - they have nothing built in their cities - all prpvinces got lvl 1 cities and lvl 1 ports. While I undestand that it is designed so because of their large empire to begin with but it is too much in my opinion. Maybe give them trade port in Africa + temple of Baal or something? So that they dont look so retarded

Aaaand one more thing - Roma built-in barracks don't seem to work for me - can't recruit anyrax units even after cultural concersion of both the city building and the province. Did I miss something? Or is it intended so?

Thanks for reading and hope to have helped.

Cheers
    Nordling

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

One last thing - for the love of god, don't take scutarii mercenaries away - they are the only medium inf you can get

Quote Originally Posted by Iridium31 View Post
    Yes, indeed. Regardless, I've seen some peculiar AI behavior. As an example, the AI marching a stack into enemy territory, parking it next to a settlement and fortifying for 4+ turns. Even seen this happen when the AI army had quality units that should be able to steamroll the garrison. Wondering if it has something to do with the total number of men.

The main reason I mentioned it is so many freebie troops feels a bit excessive. They are sub par units but 12-20 units worth of men is still a significant number.
    Yeah, I never quite understood why there's so huge garrisons in DeI, it feels quite awkward.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

As it is with a lot of game designs it is a mix of personal opinion and figuring out how to challenge the player without hindering the AI too much. If we decreased the garrisons we would most likely end up with people complaining about it being too easy to conquer cities.
    Which is why we have submods so people can play the mod as they please.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HarkonRules View Post
    Yeah, I never quite understood why there's so huge garrisons in DeI, it feels quite awkward.
    AI is pretty pathetic defending it's towns as well. So we tried to make it harder for the human player conquering the world in 100 turns.

Seeing as it was pretty important both politically before and and after the Roman conquest, could Bibracte be added as an ancient capital?

I noticed there is a Guard Mode mod for Attila that adds a button reducing movement to 0 so units don't go chasing enemies that move or rout. Is there such a thing planned for DeI or does a mod exist for Rome II? Thanks.

ShellShok's Avatar Foederatus

Hello all DeI Team. Back to main problem with CAI in the middle game period. I know you commented this many times, but i keep hoping for some kind of solution. Coz, you have come so close to creating most epic game in all TW series. But ,unfortunately, DeI remains game for a coupe of evenins.
    Last time, Drasden says that all possible tables already turns on maximum aggresions and there is nothing to do more. So i decided to try some submods: De Ai Arbitriis and Cultural Tension, plus, hard mod(wich, by the way, have best economic model). Gameplay seemed more dynamic at start.But later it slowed down again. I tried a few more companies to watch the CAI- the result is always same: AI slow down expansion, just stayng around his towns and wait. At the same time, diplomacy does't work at all: Ai does not agree to trade, be ally, military access etc. ,but seems its effects from submods.
    So, i just think, maybe DeI Team can involve someone from Modmasters community to bring some solutions(maybe just test version for hardmod for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    In terms of Data Venia, I believe that is due to the larger army sizes possibly.
    I guess, sir Dresden is right. So maybe try to give an opportunity Ai hire more generals( if it possible, only for Ai, not for player)
    While i was test compaings, many times i thought about, how much more difficult it would be to survive, if Ai just march on my territory and simple raiding me.
    I do not expect anything, but i reserve the right to rely on you, DeI Team.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMerisi View Post
    I noticed there is a Guard Mode mod for Attila that adds a button reducing movement to 0 so units don't go chasing enemies that move or rout. Is there such a thing planned for DeI or does a mod exist for Rome II? Thanks.
    Curiously enough, i think Rome 2 is actually one of the only TW games without a guard mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    Curiously enough, i think Rome 2 is actually one of the only TW games without a guard mode.
    From the main post about 1.2.2h Beta:

"New formation for Roman units - Hold Position."

So it looks like this kind of function has been added just for Roman units in the latest update.
    Last edited by MrMerisi; January 31, 2018 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMerisi View Post
    From the main post about 1.2.2h Beta:

"New formation for Roman units - Hold Position."

So it looks like this kind of function has been added just for Roman units in the latest update.
    Guard mode, Hold position, stop chasing ... you can call any ability what you want. All there is to such an ability would be to have it lock the movement of the unit. Units in hollow square formation wont chase after the enemy unit either.
    So in theory you could add a "Guard Mode" ability to all units in the game causing them to stand still and only engage what is in front of them.

Sorry for my non-topic question: I forgot what latest patch of RTW2 adds an extra column in databases tables...and make previous unit packs incompatible. Help.

Quote Originally Posted by leonardusius View Post
    Sorry for my non-topic question: I forgot what latest patch of RTW2 adds an extra column in databases tables...and make previous unit packs incompatible. Help.
    Wouldnt it make more sense to direct your questions regarding modding to one of the forums on TWC dedicated to this or perhaps write a PM to a modder which you think or know could be of help to you?
    It dont make much sense to begin a modding discussion of patch 18 and unit packs in a thread dedicated to users giving feedback and suggestions to certain features in a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    Wouldnt it make more sense to direct your questions regarding modding to one of the forums on TWC dedicated to this or perhaps write a PM to a modder which you think or know could be of help to you?
    It dont make much sense to begin a modding discussion of patch 18 and unit packs in a thread dedicated to users giving feedback and suggestions to certain features in a mod.
    I asked just one thing without anything else. You could have one short word (ex. land_unit_tables)

Default [Feedback] Impressions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

I was merely pointing to the fact that it would make more sense for you to ask for guidance elsewhere on the forum.
    What is the point in having threads dedicated to specific subjects if they end being used for general discussions and what ever you feel like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk