Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Impressions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Hi! did you plan to add 1hp system like in old total war games? it was much better this way. I miss old good days...

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

It does not really add much and we can do a lot more with more HP system.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

IMO it makes Pike Phalanxes completely unbalanceable
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Honestly I also hated a lot mods like EB 1 because of that 1HP system.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    IMO it makes Pike Phalanxes completely unbalanceable
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Honestly I also hated a lot mods like EB 1 because of that 1HP system.
    Yeah I never liked 1HP system. Not my cup of tea.

Patrician

Well I prefer 1HP system, simply this game was not made with that in mind ;P

It does have certain advantages, like f.e. deaths being spread out more evenly, but the Phalanx behaviour is just OP with it.

"I concur!"

​Me

I personally dont like deaths being spread out more evenly. Its more realistic the way it currently is.

Spreading the deaths out more evenly through a 1hp system makes it too much of a "video game".

It sounds good, sounds clean, and ON PAPER sounds more realistic.... but the way it plays out just isnt as realistically feeling as the current method.

Deaths are unpredictable, and having unpredictable death spread gives the fights a "tug-o-war" aspect to them, which is realistic.

That gets dramatically reduced when its a 1hp system because now youve severely limited one major attribute. Because melee attack, defense, weapon damage, and armor all play into the health stat... and the health being higher than 1hp allows those variables to have dynamic interactions throughout a battle.

If you use a 1hp system, it just removes one of the key stats that facilitates this dynamic interaction. It becomes a board game and loses the practical simulation of battle.

It sounds good on paper. But its not better. Not as realistic.

This is where really smart people make mistakes in development... because they overthink, and they guess wrong when it comes to what looks good ON PAPER versus what actually performs perfectly.
    Last edited by KYREAPER; August 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KYREAPER View Post
    I personally dont like deaths being spread out more evenly. Its more realistic the way it currently is.

Spreading the deaths out more evenly through a 1hp system makes it too much of a "video game".

It sounds good, sounds clean, and ON PAPER sounds more realistic.... but the way it plays out just isnt as realistically feeling as the current method.

Deaths are unpredictable, and having unpredictable death spread gives the fights a "tug-o-war" aspect to them, which is realistic.

That gets dramatically reduced when its a 1hp system because now youve severely limited one major attribute. Because melee attack, defense, weapon damage, and armor all play into the health stat... and the health being higher than 1hp allows those variables to have dynamic interactions throughout a battle.

If you use a 1hp system, it just removes one of the key stats that facilitates this dynamic interaction. It becomes a board game and loses the practical simulation of battle.

It sounds good on paper. But its not better. Not as realistic.

This is where really smart people make mistakes in development... because they overthink, and they guess wrong when it comes to what looks good ON PAPER versus what actually performs perfectly.
    I will have to disagree with you.
    It´s not as if the whole system becomes depends on the health stat.
    All the other stats still interact dynamically.

It´s not as if you have a HP bar in real life, a wound is either deadly/incapacitating or not.
    And its deadliness isn´t depending on whether you´ve been wounded in combat before.

If we take Goldsworthy´s analysis of Roman combat as an example,
    most wounds would simply be ignored due to combat stress and adrenaline.

These non debilitating wounds in the limited context of acute combat would simply serve to tire the combatants.
    Which is perfectly represented through the stamina system.

I agree that the way KAM has balanced DeI, melee does feel very realistic from the limited perspective we have from our modern times.
    But AE f.e. does handle missile deaths better than DeI.
    If it weren´t for AE´s OP Pike Phalanx, I´d say it were about equally well balanced.

"I concur!"

​Me

Let's refrain from getting too caught up in comparing mods if we can, it is not very constructive and its for 2 different games.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

And furthermore, we can not apply that system to Rome 2 as KAM has stated before.

I like new dacian roster but I don't understand why dacians, relatives of thracians don't have heavy skirmishers anymore...why they don't have any more heavy falxmen (two handed unit)...why so much sarmatian influence?

Patrician

What Sarmatian influence? There is a SINGLE Sarmatian infuelnced unit in their late army, which is backed by sources. Their heavy falx unit is better than ever now.
    Last edited by KAM 2150; August 20, 2017 at 07:20 AM.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by son of romans View Post
    I like new dacian roster but I don't understand why dacians, relatives of thracians don't have heavy skirmishers anymore...why they don't have any more heavy falxmen (two handed unit)...why so much sarmatian influence?
    For what Sarmatian influence are we talking about ?

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    What Sarmatian influence? There is a SINGLE Sarmatian infuelnced unit in their late army, which is backed by sources. Their heavy falx unit is better than ever now.
    Those heavy arcers...heavy cavalry...heavy falxemn have celtic armor...there are many celtic shilds...it is all logic but I miss old roster...if it was posible to merge both rosters...to chose, for example sarmatian influence...and you get new stuff...keep local tradition and you have heavy pikemen, skirmishers but not this big variety of heavy cavalry...I now that I can use 1.2.1 version of mod...but I like new shild wall...new armors, helmets...new stuff...

Patrician

You don't have big variety of heavy cavalry. Most of Dacian cavalry is not present after reform while you get bigger amount of infantry to use. Custom battle roster and campaign roster are two separate things. If you only base it on this than your judgement is plain wrong.

I only researched Daco-Sarmatian Catapharcts from their late reform so I can't answer all questions as those are dedicated to Ritter who worked on it. I know only what units are avaliable at certain reform.

But is a bad idea to give chance to chose reform units...sarmatian influence or greek+thracian influence...If it is possible to script...

Patrician

We had thia idea but sadly not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    We had thia idea but sadly not possible.
    So bad...but how I can merge manually both rosters? I will be very thankful....

Tvrtko's Avatar Libertus

I would suggest that you restore the map textures to the original since the new one is quite unfitting and borders are very unclear also it creates a bug where you basically control whole of Sahara by controlling provinces in today's Marocco.