Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Voivodate of Wallachia

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Wallachian Units Preview

I had found an interesting information about the ruler Radu I of Wallachia (c. 1377 – c. 1383) who had made a large order of full-equip armors to Venetian Republic.
    Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radu_I_of_Wallachia

"An Italian chronicle "Cronaca Carrarese" tells about an expedition of the Hungarian king Louis the Great between 5 July - 14 August 1377 with the intention of subduing a one "Radano principe di Bulgaria infedele" (Italian),identified with Radu I.
    These tense relations which preceded the fight are confirmed by the registers of the Venetian Republic where,in the same year, a large order of full-equip armors made by the Wallachian voievod appears.
    These armors were to be worn by those "armadura da cavali", 10.000 at number (a slightly exaggerated number) who were defeated in battle against the Hungarian king as pointed out by the Italian chronicle."

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Ty 4 that... I had info about it but not completely accurate...

Artifex

My info I mean... yours is better...

First of all, congratulation to the creators of this mod.For me is one of the best mods ever created for a Total War game until present.
    I wanted to post the information about Radu I of Wallachia because this is an indirect proof that the the Wallachia had access to good quality armor to equip its soldiers by trading with other countries,even from its beginning as a state.
    I had read all the comments for the Wallachia faction units and I considered that the Italian mention about Radu I would help the mod because there are few reference about Wallachian wearing heavy armor and a lot of people ask about a reference.
    For example on mural paintings in Curtea de Arges Princely Church( Biserica Domneasca din Arges) depicts a knight wearing a scale armor from XIV century.This image has also a link on Wikipedia :

The full article is in Romanian language and contain also the image below :
    Source : https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basarab_I

I found also images depicting a heavy cavalry from 15 century in Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 2 by Ian Heath :
    text : http://www.warfare.altervista.org/WR...avalry-15C.htm
    and image :

Also I had found that NORMA N SIMMS in the article "CHAUCER AND THE FOURTEENTH CENTURY ENGLISHMAN’S KNOWLEDGE OF WALLACHIA" write about Wallachians using poison arrows.
    This is a small portion from the article that quote the Arab historian Atiya, Nicopolis, p. 70:

"Someone may even have been able to speak of the time, not many years before, when Sigismund had been shot at with poison arrows by the Wallachians while returning home from his victory over the Turks at Nicopolis Minor "

Note : Nicopolis Minor or Nicopolul Mic (Little Nicopolis) was located on Wallachia, near the today city of Turnu Magurele in Romania and was built by Mircea the Elder on the ruins of the byzantine fortress Turris.

I don't know if the information that I had posted will be reflected in Wallachia's faction units by having a distinct full plate armored heavy sword infantry or dismounted knights.
    Some time ago I had read the book of Neagu Djuvara and Radu Oltean, "Mircea cel Batran si luptele cu turcii" (Mircea the Elder and the fights with Ottoman Turks).
    In that book it was mention that the father of Mircea I of Wallachia (Mircea cel Batran), Radu I of Wallachia, ordered a large amount of armors form Republic of Venice and I was amazed by this fact.
    Neagu Djuvara write also that during the Mircea I reign,Romanian knights are remembered during a tournament in Hungary, at Buda (1412) held in honor of peace treaty ( Treaty of Lubowla ) signed between Kingdom of Hungary (Sigismund of Luxemburg) and Kingdom of Poland (Wladyslaw II Jagiello).
    I had found also mentions about Radu I of Wallachia in the writings of our Romanian historian GHEORGHE I. BRATIANU (February 3, 1898 – April 23–27, 1953), in his book "TRADITIA ISTORICA DESPRE ÎNTEMEIEREA STATELOR ROMÂNESTI" in English "The Historical Tradition about the Founding of Romanian States (1945)".
    Gheorghe Bratianu mention also about the order of armors to Venice by Radu I, but also state that Radu I is the only Romanian voievod that appears on his coins that were minted during his reign, as fully dressed from head to toe in the iron armor of the warriors knights of the West, his contemporaries but also his biggest rivals.
    The general R.Rosetti in his book "ISTORIA ARTEI MILITARE ROMANILOR PANA. LA MIJLOCUL VEACULUI AL XVII-lea" published in March 1945, also mention about Radu I .
    Radu Oltean has made a reconstruction image of Radu I wearing his armor in one of his historical images on his blog.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Very good research Radu. However, the mod already has implemented these armours for Wallachia in the Voivode unit. Probably a boyar unit would not be out of place either.

Artifex

Btw I have read that the Spatar had a cav contingent of it's own and that his servents were called Spatarei, him being the cav commander and all so maybe a unit of those. Do you know anything about it?

Some interesting finds

Sighișoara

About the Moldavian Viteji who were probably picked from the Razesi, Nemesi and/or Mazili. There were also references that they fought dismounted alongside the Plaiesi and Voinici. The Voinici were a 3000 strong contingent that was reformed after being entirely destroyed by the Ottomans in 1476 at Valea Alba. Also the Moldavian Halberdiers could be added as AoR alongside other Moldavian reinforcements sent by Stefan III Musat "the Great" and by Alexander I Musat "the Good" before him for Vlad III Basarab-Dracula "the Impaler" and Mircea I Basarab "the Elder". If Moldavia will not be in at least the unity between them and the Wallachians with Hungarian, Venetian, Polish and Crimean Tartar support should be represented. Also their aid for the Serbs, Bulgarians and Byzantines.

By Hungarian I also mean Transylvanian, Szekler and Saxon.

http://m.adevarul.ro/locale/botosani...735/index.html

Well actually this is a perfect description for the Moldavian AoR in the 15th century.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold...ilitary_forces

So as to weaken the power of the deceitfull Boieri similar to what Mircea the Elder did by creating a new class of warriors from the richer peasants alongside the Plaiesi border guards by recruiting the Mosneni, Stephen the Great picked the Razesi and Mazili as border guards alongside Plaiesi and gave them lands in exchange for military service in Crusades. From Razesi he formed the Voinici contingent of infantry and light Hussar like cavalry, the Hansari and promoted them even further as a elite contingent of 3000 Viteji that was able to fight both mounted and dismounted. Alexander the Good had the Curteni while both probably had also a unit of Calarasi, Boieri and Squires or Servitorii Boierilor si Negustorilor, people hired by the Nobles and Merchants, Mercenaries. Mircea had his own contingent of Mercenaries both mounted and dismounted, the Burghers or Targoveti and gave them horses from the royal stables. This alongside Garda Portarului and Garda Spatarului should be implemented. Oh yes and the Lefegii foreign, Bohemian and Saxon mercenaries. This and of course the Macemen!

The Curteni, Boieri and probably Calarasi if not the Hansari and the Viteji too alongside Garda Portarului fought at Grunwald and Marienburg.

So we have:

Cavalry:

Wallachia

Garda Spatarului

Viteji

Calarasi

Curteni

Boieri

Mosneni

Targoveti

Moldavia

Garda Portarului

Curteni

Calarasi

Boieri

Mazili

Razesi

Hansari

The Voinici infantry together with Plaiesi border guards, the dismounted above mentioned troops, the Targoveti, Lefegii and the Serfs (Vecini or Serbi).

Here we add Bulgarian mercenaries, Byzantine, Hungarian, Szekler, Saxon, Wallachian and Moldavian AoR. I would also add the Gagauzi or Gok-Oghuz that most likely fought against the Tartars of the Golden Horde and in alliance with the Tartars and Kypchaks of the Crimean Khanate, Venice and Moldavia. Or simply Tartar separatists as AoR. From what I know Poland was supposed to send support together with Brandenburg but never did and attacked Moldavia instead so no Polish AoR even if both Wallachia and Moldavia were allies only good trade with Poland and Lithuania. Well support troops for them yes against the Teutones and in Varna. Early Pecheneg and Cuman own troops and AoR.

Serbians even if at first were allies then fought against them at Rovine siding with the Ottomans.
    Last edited by warman222; February 08, 2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Post Spamming

Artifex

So this combination of:

Cumans of Severin - Wallachians of Terra Lytua, Severin and Hatzeg - Hungarians of Severin and Hatzeg - Knights Hospitaller of Kenazates of John and Farkas - Saxons of Severin - Transylvanians tier 1

Cumans of Hatzeg, Baragan and Budjak - Pechenegs of Fogaras - Saxons of Campo Longo and Fogaras - Vlachs of Fogaras and Amlas - Wallachians of Transalpina - Bulgarians, Cumans and Pechenegs of Dobrudja or Karvuna and Bulgarians of Vidin tier 2

Wallachians - Moldavians - Tartars of Gagauzia - Hungarians of Temeswar - Szeklers - Saxons of Hermannstadt, Kronstadt and Klausenburg - Transylvanians tier 3

Would be best

Because Ban of Severin and rulling over the above mentioned people in tier 1 was Lytuoy fallowed by Tochomerius, Basarab I, Mircea the Elder and Vlad the Impaler. Why do I say that? Well basically Mircea the Elder installed Alexander the Good while Vlad III Dracula the Impaler did so with Stephen the Great.
    Last edited by Visarion; February 05, 2017 at 06:48 AM.

Artifex

Sorry for the mistake... looks like the Gagauzi were in fact Seljuks that settled in Dobrudja together with the Cumans and Pechenegs but arriving from Anatolia and joining the Christian Bulgarians so just Venetians and Crimean Tartars and Kypchaks as allies against the Golden Horde Tartars.

@Visarion first of all this Cuman roster is outdated, secondly I disagree on adding the entire tire 1 Cuman roster to Wallachia, we don't want a bunch of clone tires in any playable factions. I also disagree on making tire 1 Wallachia the Basarabs, since they are essentially the same thing, and the Basarab dynasty was founded around a hundred years after the mod's starting date. So I would name the starting Wallachian faction "Vlach Tribes" or something similar.

Artifex

Tier 1 Vlach, Hungarian, Saxon, Cuman, Hospitaller troops representing Terra Lytua, Mark of Severin, the Hospitallers as aliies and co-rulers of Severin on behalf of the Hungarian Crown, Hatzeg.

Tier 2 Basarabids with Vlach and Pecheneg troops, Byzantine, Serbian, Bulgarian allies but still under Hungarian suzeranity in a greater or fewer extent, domewhat becoming a self ruled state, a more autonomous "Oblast" if you know what I mean...

Tier 3 Dracula dynasty with Saxon and Moldavian dependencies, Szekler, Saxon, Transylvanian co-rulers of the Saxon cities and protectors of the trade routes and parteners against invaders and Hungarian overlords, co-members of the Order of the Dragon and partners in Crusades

A very imtetesting to play multiethnic Hungarian dependency basically, a splinter of the greater Hungarian overlordship, tied by it and in the Csmpaign with role of protecting it from invaders, nomads, Balkans and Turks, a buffer state
    Last edited by Visarion; February 08, 2017 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucem Mundum View Post
    @Visarion first of all this Cuman roster is outdated, secondly I disagree on adding the entire tire 1 Cuman roster to Wallachia, we don't want a bunch of clone tires in any playable factions. I also disagree on making tire 1 Wallachia the Basarabs, since they are essentially the same thing, and the Basarab dynasty was founded around a hundred years after the mod's starting date. So I would name the starting Wallachian faction "Vlach Tribes" or something similar.
    Yes agree with this here. There should be some Cuman rosters but not the whole roster. A better name would be something like 'Vlach Knezates' since the vlachs were organised and led by a knyaz (local warlord) and the form of government was known as a Knezate (Slavic form of organisation). There are numerous minor Knezates and Voivodships in the XIIIth century which coalesced into the Wallachian Principality.

@Visarion. I did read something about the Spatar (which was also the head of police) and the Spatarei but I don't have anything concrete.

Also, wouldn't add too many Saxon and Szekely units in the Wallachian units. They were enemies just as much as they were allies especially during the time of Vlad the Impaler when he invaded and sacked the Saxon cities numerous times.

Those are very nice armours displayed in Sighisoara but most of them would be more relevant for Hungarian units rather than Wallachian ones. Although of course extensive trade existed between them.

Artifex

Denying one's right to freedom of speach and expressing opinions freely by using censorship is the first step towards corruption and we in Romania are fighting corruption so you have a giant unlike from me dear user

Artifex

@ Ltd.

Ltd. Could you make a preview for the Bazaraad Voivodes faction?

Sorry I don't have a laptop and neither do I have Attila yet but I work hard to fulfill my dream you know... hoping to have enough money for the Steam Summer Sale. If not can you tell me at least the units? A list of the units in all tiers or influences... ty in advance! Much appreciated! The Bazaraads are my main interest to be honest. And I do like that you added the faction thus, The Bazaraads faction is much better than let's say Terra Lytua.

Edit: The first ruler could be Bezerenbam mentioned by the Persians and fighting the Mongols in 1241-1242 and winning in comparison to the other, probably Vlach-Slav dynasty that lost under the rule of Mislau who was also slain in battle. I say this because there are speculations that this Bezeren Ban was the first member of the Bazaraads dynasty of Cuman origin.
    Last edited by Visarion; March 04, 2017 at 12:36 PM.

@Visarion this is a list of units for Bazard Voivode (Wallachia) faction :

Generals
    1.Voivode of Wallachia
    2.Vlad Tepes

Spear Infantry
    1.Vlach Pesants
    2.Spear Militia
    3.Vlach Spearmen

Pike Infantry
    1.Mosneni Spearmen

Polearm Infantry
    1.Vlach Guardsmen

Melee Infantry
    1.Mosneni(Early)
    2.Mosneni(High)
    3.Mosneni(Late)

Bow Infantry
    1.Militia Archers
    2.Vlach Heavy Archers
    3.Mosneni Archers(Early)
    4.Curteni Foot Archers
    5.Mosneni Archers(High)

Crossbow Infantry
    1.Vlach Crossbowmen(High)
    2.Vlach Crossbowmen(Late)

Skirmisher
    1.Vlach Warriors
    2.Vlach Heavy Warriors

Gunners
    1.Ragusian Cakoni
    2.Vlach Handgunners

Melee Cavalry
    1.Militia Lancers
    2.Curteni Cavalry

Shock Cavalry
    1.Voivode of Wallachia
    2.Vlad Tepes
    3.Viteji(Late)

Bow Cavalry
    1.calarasi Horse Archers (High)
    2.Viteji(High)
    3.Calarasi Horse Archers (Late)

The units are looking very good.
    Congratulations for the creators of this mod for Attila Total War and thank you for creating and adding the Wallachian faction.
    I hope that someday the Moldavia and Transylvania factions will be added also.
    I do not know if this is a bug, but for the Spear Militia, the banner is from Cuman faction ( the flag is blue with a golden lion ).

Dom1no's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Radu of Wallachia View Post

Congratulations for the creators of this mod for Attila Total War and thank you for creating and adding the Wallachian faction.
    I do not know if this is a bug, but for the Spear Militia, the banner is from Cuman faction ( the flag is blue with a golden lion ).
    They share the units from cuman roster, because they are at the beginning vassals of cumans

Quote Originally Posted by dominogoc View Post
    They share the units from cuman roster, because they are at the beginning vassals of cumans
    No they dont

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Radu of Wallachia View Post

Generals
    1.Voivode of Wallachia
    2.Vlad Tepes

Spear Infantry
    1.Vlach Pesants
    2.Spear Militia
    3.Vlach Spearmen

Pike Infantry
    1.Mosneni Spearmen

Polearm Infantry
    1.Vlach Guardsmen

Melee Infantry
    1.Mosneni(Early)
    2.Mosneni(High)
    3.Mosneni(Late)

Bow Infantry
    1.Militia Archers
    2.Vlach Heavy Archers
    3.Mosneni Archers(Early)
    4.Curteni Foot Archers
    5.Mosneni Archers(High)

Crossbow Infantry
    1.Vlach Crossbowmen(High)
    2.Vlach Crossbowmen(Late)

Skirmisher
    1.Vlach Warriors
    2.Vlach Heavy Warriors

Gunners
    1.Ragusian Cakoni
    2.Vlach Handgunners

Melee Cavalry
    1.Militia Lancers
    2.Curteni Cavalry

Shock Cavalry
    1.Voivode of Wallachia
    2.Vlad Tepes
    3.Viteji(Late)

Bow Cavalry
    1.calarasi Horse Archers (High)
    2.Viteji(High)
    3.Calarasi Horse Archers (Late)

Ty very much! Much appreciated!

Ragusan Cakoni!? Morlachs!?

What about the Morlachs? They really don't have much to do with Wallachia, they are vlachs from Dalmatia/Croatia.

Artifex

Yeah I know... that s what I m trying to say... Ragusan's even if they were let s say Morlachs and related to Vlachs tgey were a separate entity... Better add some Moldavian AoR...

Artifex

@ Ltd. Evrika! I found the perfect name for this faction. One that would make it identifiable and more appealing also: Basarab-Dracula Dynasty or Bessarab-Dracula Dynasty, Bazaraad-Dracula etc.
    Last edited by Visarion; March 17, 2017 at 04:29 PM.