Tier 1 / 13th century

Tier 2 / 14th century

Tier 3 / 15th century

Spearmen - Militia level

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Tier 1 / 13th century

Tier 2 / 14th century

Tier 3 / 15th century

Macemen - armed with a mace called "măciucă" . Damage: blunt and armor piercing

Tier 1 / 13th century

Tier 2 / 14th century

Tier 3 / 15th century

Voynik Archer Spearmen

Tier 2 / 14th century

Tier 3 / 15th century

Guard Halberdiers - ( capped unit )

Tier 3 / 15th century

Cavalry

Călăraşi Horse Archers

Tier 1 / 13th century

Tier 2 / 14th century

Tier 3 / 15th century

Curteni - literally: court servants; serjeant / servientes level

Tier 1 / 13th century - javelin cavalry

Tier 2 / 14th century

Tier 3 / 15th century

Viteji - soldiers who got promoted to lower nobility due to their prowess and bravery on the battlefield

Tier 2 / 14th century - Horse Archers

Tier 3 / 15th century - Lancers

Boieri - the higher nobility, similar to the western knightly class

Tier 1 / 13th century - Mounted Archers

Tier 2 / 14th century

Tier 3 / 15th century

Voivode

Tier 1 / 13th century

Tier 2 / 14th century

Tier 3 / 15th century

VLAD The IMPALER (rom. Vlad Țepeş) - SPECIAL CHARACTER

Tier 3 / 15th century

Last edited by Ltd.; June 30, 2018 at 10:42 AM.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Wallachian Units Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Nebaki View Post
    If you want to debate history, a good first step is to not post the generic wikipedia link to the country you are talking about. Your argument whatever it is, is strengthened by specifics, and in this case its more of a gameplay decision so you can't really argue that much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    If you want to debate history, a good first step is to not post the generic wikipedia link to the country you are talking about. Your argument whatever it is, is strengthened by specifics, and in this case its more of a gameplay decision so you can't really argue that much either.
    Quote Originally Posted by zsimmortal View Post

2) This is a unit preview thread, take the discussion elsewhere.
    In addition - you will show let me guess - an link which is already used as source in "Wikipedia" or an "Miniature" ?

@the Mod Team - you guys are doing an really Great Job maybe some Publisher should buy and you will made up your own Strategy Game

finix's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Nebaki View Post
    Nebaki has the right, what all agreed is that if Wallachia will have a presence \Quite tears shed by some Romanian friends for this to happen\ - to do this and the Ottoman Empire. We all \ the team\ decided that this would be done within by making Tier 2 and 3 units for Seljyuks of Rum. I hope a way can be turned into tw ATILA from one empire to another. So the Ottoman Empire will be as correctly presented because it will be agree with me that without Ottomans the wars in this region will not be the same.

At first I was against the inclusion of Wallachia and the Ottoman Empire, but then a thought that makes this mod exclusive - anyone can find yourself on the map and change history. And that we like in Total War games.
    And once again Ltd. 've done superb
    [IMG][/IMG]

I do agree, if Wallachia get a unit preview, then there should be a Turks High and Late Period Preview in the future, named "Ottoman Unit Previews". Sultanate of Rum would be able to use them as well, if they survive that far.

But anyway, lets move on from that discussion shall we? So, Vlach archers would have access to Poison Arrow - What kind of poison arrow? Certainly it shouldn't be the Vanilla Attila Slavic Poison Arrow that can randomly kill any armoured soldier in a unit in a given time even when there's only one guy getting nicked in the edge of the formation - Even ricin-laced polonium pellets can't kill that fast!

In short, we need to mix up our own poison, something more sensible. I'm thinking about a dual-phase stat effect, of 3-5 second shock stat (fear of the words of the enemy's arrow are poisonous), with second phase about 60 seconds of n% fatigue increase/accuracy/melee capability/whatever, any ideas? For the arrows themselves, the damage should be pretty high, but pathetic AP capability because even padded cloth can prevent the arrow getting through, let alone heavier armor.

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

Great units!In my opinion these units + some early bulgarian units are enough for a wallachian roaster.Wallachia was founded in early 14th century and wasn't major faction in middle ages anyways.

Dom1no's Avatar Libertus

Very nice units, you are creating everything so accurate, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    I do agree, if Wallachia get a unit preview, then there should be a Turks High and Late Period Preview in the future, named "Ottoman Unit Previews". Sultanate of Rum would be able to use them as well, if they survive that far.

But anyway, lets move on from that discussion shall we? So, Vlach archers would have access to Poison Arrow - What kind of poison arrow? Certainly it shouldn't be the Vanilla Attila Slavic Poison Arrow that can randomly kill any armoured soldier in a unit in a given time even when there's only one guy getting nicked in the edge of the formation - Even ricin-laced polonium pellets can't kill that fast!

In short, we need to mix up our own poison, something more sensible. I'm thinking about a dual-phase stat effect, of 3-5 second shock stat (fear of the words of the enemy's arrow are poisonous), with second phase about 60 seconds of n% fatigue increase/accuracy/melee capability/whatever, any ideas? For the arrows themselves, the damage should be pretty high, but pathetic AP capability because even padded cloth can prevent the arrow getting through, let alone heavier armor.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Poison is too problematic in vanilla, it should just have a marginal effect (i.e. non-lethal and not exhausted for the whole fight off of one arrow), while keeping arrow damage respectable.

Damn, thats one of the coolest rosters so far...

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    Quick note: the roster is not complete. The majority of units displayed here are for the tiers 2 and 3. The implementation of tier 1 units and the playable faction status of the Voivodate of Wallachia (to become Principality of Wallachia ) is still subject of debate, but we have ideas how to make them playable.
    My take on the subject is taking the balanced and diplomatic way of making both Wallachia,Moldavia,Transylvania and the Ottomans - unplayable,but their late units from tier 2-3 be used by their overlords - Hungary,Bulgaria and Sultanate of Rum

For the Sultanate of Rum is easy - all of the Ottoman units will be part of the Rum's unit roster,But how will be done for Hungary, Bulgaria and others accordingly?

The Problem lies in the problem that both factions got some kind of duplicated units compared with Wallachia by looking at the units.

Serbia got 4 infantry Vlach units
    The ''Moldavian Warriors'' unit should go to the Bulgarians(the unit went to Serbia due to mistake,not intended a year ago and I havent heard of Moldavian units serving under Serbian Rule) and Serbia should get ''Vlach Heavy Archers'' and with this I think it will be all fine for the representation of the Vlachs in the Serbian State.

Hungary got 5 infantry Vlach units already, I cant say if they need more units in the later period for example cavalry, but I would love to debate more on the subject.I think it will be all fine for the representation of the Vlachs as of its now,but the Mod team got the Room of giving Hungary more Vlach units if they want to.

The Cumans got 2 Vlach and I always advocated(like a hole year already) giving them 3 more of the already created infantry based Vlach units - ''Vlach Spearmen'',''Vlach Warriors'',''Vlach Heavy Warriors''. After giving them those 3 additional units do the Cumans need more Vlach units shown in the thread here? I would love to debate more on the subject also. I think it will be all fine for the representation of the Vlachs as of its now,but the Mod team got the Room of giving the Cuman Faction more Vlach units if they want to.

Bulgaria got right now only 3 Vlach units and giving them 2 more from the already created Vlach units from the Builds ''Moldavian Warriors'' and ''Vlach Heavy Archers'' and with this I think it will be all fine for the representation of the Vlachs in the infantry department, but for the late period Bulgaria can also have in its Unit Roster more (optional) units like the new unit shown in this Thread ''Voivode - Tier 2 '' at its bare minimum showcasing the Cooperation between Bulgaria(led by Ivan Sratsimir,Ivan Shishman of Bulgaria) and Wallachia(led by Mircea I of Wallachia) in the late 14th Century vs the Ottoman invasion in the Balkans and the Speculations at what extend Wallachia,Moldavia were still a vassals to the Bulgarians in the 14th century and dynastic marriages.

And lastly from where you read guys that the Vlachs were using poison arrows in the 13-15th centuries? First time hearing about this, would love to look more into the subject it if it was true.

Last edited by FrozenmenSS; January 06, 2017 at 01:00 PM.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

See battle of Posada and also check the Persian chronicles about Mislau and Bezerenbam in 1240 1241 1242. Informations are scarce but afterall it was the Dark Ages. That and Phillipe Mousket. About Moldavia search Olaha.
    Last edited by Visarion; January 06, 2017 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post

The Cumans got 2 Vlach and I always advocated(like a hole year already) giving them 3 more of the already created infantry based Vlach units - ''Vlach Spearmen'',''Vlach Warriors'',''Vlach Heavy Warriors''. After giving them those 3 additional units do the Cumans need more Vlach units shown in the thread here? I would love to debate more on the subject also. I think it will be all fine for the representation of the Vlachs as of its now,but the Mod team got the Room of giving the Cuman Faction more Vlach units if they want to.

I have no intention of adding more Vlach units to the Cuman roster, in fact I am actually considering removing the 2 Vlach units they already have, since the Cumans didnt rely on local levies to the same extent the Mongols did, not to mention the fact that I want the faction to be as indigenous as possible. Anyways, if you have any suggestions regarding the Cumans I would like to hear them in the Cuman thread.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

I can't wait to see more of this ti be honest and I hope units will not be split between surrounding factions and Wallachia will be a self standinf faction and playable or at least a Hungarian depwndancy that will gradually become self standing...

All of those look en amazing. Good work.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lucem Mundum View Post

I have no intention of adding more Vlach units to the Cuman roster, in fact I am actually considering removing the 2 Vlach units they already have, since the Cumans didnt rely on local levies to the same extent the Mongols did, not to mention the fact that I want the faction to be as indigenous as possible. Anyways, if you have any suggestions regarding the Cumans I would like to hear them in the Cuman thread.
    this also works.As for the Cumans I dont have new info to share about
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; January 09, 2017 at 03:08 PM.

Just like the Seljuks thread I had to delete a bunch of posts bringing up the Ottomans and Nebaki's needlessly aggressive posting. This is about the Wallachian units, not the friggin Ottomans. Do not bring them up here again.

Tiro

Tier 3 heavy cavalry look too heavy for units without horse armor. There is no harmony between men and horses.

If there is some kind of reliable source that Wallachians did use horse armor even in low numbers, i would definitely add them.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Illustrations of Wallachian an Moldavian soldiers are quite rare, and none of them show horse armour to my knowledge. Early 16th century may be different, but that is out of our time frame.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

No, there is no evidence of Wallachians/Moldavians ever using armoured barding for the horses. Even full armours for cavalry were pretty rare and were only worn by the wealthy boyars and the voivode and his guard.

Any reconstructions we have from church paintings do not eve show armoured barding

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I like the unique look. Well done doing something outside the box, once again Ltd. ^^

As far as I've understood it, Wallachia generally lacked armour? My only hope is that this will be an underdog faction with worse stats than it's neighbors throughout the campaign, and that is a good thing in my opinion. Generally lacking armour and having to make due with less is what makes a challenge, and inadvertently makes for an enjoyable campaign from my point of view. If a faction is listed as 'Hard', I want to play that faction. Whenever a faction is Op and nothing more than a breeze, it's really not worth the time slogging through because you know there is not going to be a challenge. Here is an overview of an other underdog faction, Enedwaith, for another mod that I recently thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. There was never a moments rest when your units are poor. While they're two complely different mods, there are still similarities. Wallachia kinda sticks to my head whenever I think of Enedwaith, because the element of "lacking armour" is a somewhat similar, but perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe Ireland is a better comparison. https://youtu.be/n8ySs_KaGMg?t=19m46s

Opinion aside, cheers.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast