Thread: Eras and what campaigns belongs to what eras?

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Eras and what campaigns belongs to what eras?

Hello, it is my understanding that the eras was made up like this:

1. End of Antiquity - Heraclian Era.

2. Danube Limes - Mauretanian Era.

3. Main Campaign - Justinian Era.

But the problem is there are also the eras named the following:

1. Notitia.

2. Thematic.

I need some advice as to which one of the campaigns these units were made for?

The Thematic era seems to occur later. All these five folders do have units. But some of them are missing parts.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

vikior's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Eras and what campaigns belongs to what eras?

The Notitia should occur before the Justinianic era. It refers to the "Notitia Dignitatum", a list of all Roman civil and military officials (and military units) made in the 5th century. It should have been possible that some of the units listed in the Notitia survived until the times of Justinian, but I'm no expert on that.

The Thematic era should come after Heraclius, so probably intended for the End of Antiquity

Quote Originally Posted by vikior View Post
    The Notitia should occur before the Justinianic era. It refers to the "Notitia Dignitatum", a list of all Roman civil and military officials (and military units) made in the 5th century. It should have been possible that some of the units listed in the Notitia survived until the times of Justinian, but I'm no expert on that.

The Thematic era should come after Heraclius, so probably intended for the End of Antiquity
    I do have very good news for the Heraclian-era, most of the units are still available. Of 39 units only nine were missing important parts and had to be removed.

I'd think some of the remaining 30 Heraclian-era units may have unfinished textures though- but all the files are in place at least. This means that the Romans of End of Antiquity could get their units added. Most of them at least.

Thanks for your information.

I noticed a "Varangian Guard"-unit in the Thematic-era - shouldn't that be after the Danube-Limes Mauretanian-one?
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 05, 2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

It is. While nobody knows for sure when the Themes were exactly established, we do know approximately that they were there from the late 7th, early 8th century as the Empire lost the Levant and Egypt. The themes were an efficient system and they only collapsed after Asia Minor was lost to the Turks in the 11th century. However, the Varangian guard was only established in the 10th century, so I'm not sure why there is a Varangian unit.

Quote Originally Posted by vikior View Post
    It is. While nobody knows for sure when the Themes were exactly established, we do know approximately that they were there from the late 7th, early 8th century as the Empire lost the Levant and Egypt. The themes were an efficient system and they only collapsed after Asia Minor was lost to the Turks in the 11th century. However, the Varangian guard was only established in the 10th century, so I'm not sure why there is a Varangian unit.
    This is what i understand of the eras now:

Era 0: Notitia & Justinian.

Era 1: Mauretanian.

Era 2: Heraclean & Thematic.

Is this correct?

- The Havamal

Yes, that's correct.

Mr Nygren,

I don't know if you have had a look at the mod page called "Ages of darkness 2" in Rome hosted mods. In this page, you have great historians discussing the early middle ages or late antiquity Byzantine systems and armies.

Best regards,

FFJean