Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Albion Total War - the original thread

Centenarius

Default Re: [WIP] Albion - Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Zantorian View Post
    Yep, certain buildings will be restricted to resource by the EDB. I'm brainstorming... Maybe if as a condition your general stays on tourney resource for a turn I script a "battle" to happen in which I model a tournament general (have each factions generic texture). Create a battle map that is like an open tournament field with tents etc... And your general alone dukes it out with a random "tourney" knight.. I don't think I would be able to have each special characters model etc take part as they have their general unit etc (not sure If I can have the game see who it is, instead of what it is on the resource (character near tile?) Wouldn't want the real general to die in either case anyways.. Upon victory condition I give cool stats to the victorious general standing on the resource....
    Maybe you can do the tourney this way, i'll explain my idea:

Condition: A General stays on the torrney resource then click end turn.

At the start of the new turn a yes/no event appears and asks: "Will your General take part on a local tourney?". The player can click yes or no. In order to win the General should have, for example, 5 Chivalry points or more. If he is victorious he could gain positive traits such as "Tourney Winner, + 1 Command, +2 Hitpoints" If he loses he could gain a negatve trait. A video showing victoy or defeat could be added as an embellishment.

That's my idea but i don't know if it's possible
    Temporarily retired from modding.

@Warcrafthero Those are great ideas.. The choice 'yes/no' option is definitely going to be incorporated.. I see everything as working, until I need to give traits to the victorious general on conditions he wins "the false tourney battle".. Unless I make it a auto-resolve only but that is boring.. I will bring this question to the big guns in the help forums see what they think.. I already begun modelling the tourney battle field

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Yep, certain buildings will be restricted to resource by the EDB. I'm brainstorming... Maybe if as a condition your general stays on tourney resource for a turn I script a "battle" to happen in which I model a tournament general (have each factions generic texture). Create a battle map that is like an open tournament field with tents etc... And your general alone dukes it out with a random "tourney" knight.. I don't think I would be able to have each special characters model etc take part as they have their general unit etc (not sure If I can have the game see who it is, instead of what it is on the resource (character near tile?) Wouldn't want the real general to die in either case anyways.. Upon victory condition I give cool stats to the victorious general standing on the resource....
    I'm no scripter, but picked up some insights over the years.
    While you can make a custom tile for wherever the resource is located, so that's the battle map, I'm quite sure you must name the general who enter the tile, in order to make a script spawn an enemy. That would mean, a script entry for every possible male name for each conerned faction, for each tournament location. Absurdly huge and complicated so I don't know who could make a reliable feature, while tehnically not impossible, I presume.
    No doubt, however, that "And your general alone dukes it out with a random "tourney" knight." you can put under the section Impossible. You can't spirit away the rest of his forces, and the BG can't be replaced nor the general be a single soldier-unit.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I just found that out "Invalid number of soldiers 1 for combatant unit type 'Tourney General'"... I set it to 4 then, it will be team vs team tournament... If I set up a choice event (yes/no) with condition my general is on the resource, I've seen that condition with trait triggers.. I wonder if I can set up a "generic" battle with player faction tourney unit vs slave tourney unit totally un-related script wise to the general at hand, and then upon victory condition have the character upon the resource to receive a victory trait... It's a shot in the dark?

I know Bellum Crucis had the monastery resource where you could get traits for sitting on it a few turns. Now just to figure how to include a victory in the conditions for those traits.. Or, the opposite may be true.. If I lose to the slave tourney captain, maybe he bumps me off the resource therefore voiding the 2 turn condition to receive traits.. I dunno..

I already have the tourney map done and working somewhat (need to figure how to get my unit to spawn within closer proximity to theirs, in the ring) .. I'll have to play around with it for the heck of it in my spare spare time, if I can get something like that to work it would be neat though..
    Last edited by Zantorian; April 16, 2017 at 05:35 PM.

Clint Eastwood's Avatar Civis

This is just a minor thing, but I was wondering, how long will characters live? I remember vanilla, usually they don't live past 60, but in Stainless Steel, they can reach an (unrealistic) 90.

That's changed in the descr_campaign_db.xml <max_age uint="90"/>. Albion TW will run from 13th century until 15th century at 2 turns per year for approx. 400 turns

Clint Eastwood's Avatar Civis

Thanks, but that's not quite what I was asking. I meant how long will the characters live in this specific mod?

@Clint Eastwood I was trying to hit two birds with a single stone, 1) how you can change it yourself in Stainless Steel, 2) max_age=90... That's what it's set at now, I'll probably change it to 70 though depending on further development and characters.

I just found that out "Invalid number of soldiers 1 for combatant unit type 'Tourney General'"... I set it to 4 then, it will be team vs team tournament... If I set up a choice event (yes/no) with condition my general is on the resource, I've seen that condition with trait triggers.. I wonder if I can set up a "generic" battle with player faction tourney unit vs slave tourney unit totally un-related script wise to the general at hand, and then upon victory condition have the character upon the resource to receive a victory trait... It's a shot in the dark?

I know Bellum Crucis had the monastery resource where you could get traits for sitting on it a few turns. Now just to figure how to include a victory in the conditions for those traits.. Or, the opposite may be true.. If I lose to the slave tourney captain, maybe he bumps me off the resource therefore voiding the 2 turn condition to receive traits.. I dunno..

I already have the tourney map done and working somewhat (need to figure how to get my unit to spawn within closer proximity to theirs, in the ring) .. I'll have to play around with it for the heck of it in my spare spare time, if I can get something like that to work it would be neat though..
    I fear it is, but to make sure I'll
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

^^

@Clint Eastwood I was trying to hit two birds with a single stone, 1) how you can change it yourself in Stainless Steel, 2) max_age=90... That's what it's set at now, I'll probably change it to 70 though depending on further development and characters.
    Note: let it depend on amount of turns per year. A shorter life span isn't much of a deal if there's turns enough to act out on, but significant if the years fly by fast.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Note: let it depend on amount of turns per year. A shorter life span isn't much of a deal if there's turns enough to act out on, but significant if the years fly by fast.
    At two turns per year what would be the suggestion? I haven't played with that file since I was making a sub-mod.. I had it set high because If I recall I had characters in hidden family trees, and was experimenting how far I could get without them dying before seeing them in game. Nevertheless I can just set it to the best option.

Awesome!

At two turns per year what would be the suggestion? I haven't played with that file since I was making a sub-mod.. I had it set high because If I recall I had characters in hidden family trees, and was experimenting how far I could get without them dying before seeing them in game. Nevertheless I can just set it to the best option.
    I've played M2 very little and IIRC only played mods with 4 or more turns per year, so not quite sure. Also depending on how long you intended for the game to go on before you win or lose, really.
    If there's 2 years per turn, then a general who is 16 at game start and dies at 70 years old (which is a good upper limit for age, considering blokes like Henry III, Edward I, Edward III, Barbarossa etc.) is in the campaign for only 26 turns. By which time the game is already anno 1326. A century is over in 50 turns.
    Would propose you make it 1 year per turn, if the characters are of concern to you (a.k.a the longer I can command Robert of Bree, the better). If not 6 months per turn (then 200 years = 400 turns).

Awesome!
    Seems there may be better hope for this idea than I assumed; will be back on this topic ahead.

Late 13th century to mid 15 century! I love this and I can't wait to play this mod! That means we can see armour progression? For example there is an event in 1330, where plate armour get its popularity and we can see new unlocked units or some units wearing plate armor? If yes, damn this is fantastic!

I had it planned at 6 months per turn for 400 turns. Characters will age 1 year per 1 year (2 turns). Plus the mod has spring and fall seasons so that needs to be represented.. 400 turns is a good number I find, with the forts and side towns you have to conquer you will need the turns.. 200 is a bit short and will fly by. Technically the mod ends at the end of 100 years war.. so we're looking at about 358 turns.
    Last edited by Zantorian; April 17, 2017 at 02:55 PM.

@Banskie100, Yes there will be something along those lines. It will go according to "Era". There will be "High" and "Late" era units.. I don't think I will get to individual armor upgrades in the first release as that will just be really time consuming. I have a few plate armour units done..

However I've taken a small break from units for now, and have been attacking the battle map settlements.

I had it planned at 6 months per turn for 400 turns. Characters will age 1 year per 1 year (2 turns). Plus the mod has spring and fall seasons so that needs to be represented.. 400 turns is a good number I find, with the forts and side towns you have to conquer you will need the turns.. 200 is a bit short and will fly by. Technically the mod ends at the end of 100 years war.. so we're looking at about 358 turns.
    That sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Seems there may be better hope for this idea than I assumed; will be back on this topic ahead.
    The reflection I got is quite promising, while it requires some thorough scripting.
    I just quote Witty for future reference, as I can't put it better hehe:
    Interesting.

A PostBattle monitor could set an event counter and the trait trigger could test for that. But the trigger would need to be firing on the original character so something would need to be done to make that happen. If he's the governor then *maybe* it's possible: use script to reselect the settlement and show the character scroll of the governor, and have the trait trigger on CharacterPanelOpen (with the counter check). There are still a lot of ifs and buts to take into consideration there.

As for the battlemap: it could be a custom tile placed where nobody would be able to reach normally (to avoid fighting there by accident). When the tourney begins, spawn a general of that faction onto that tile, then spawn an enemy (rebel I'd say) adjacent and have him attack. Maybe that's what was already intended? If they're elephants then you could do the single soldier trick, a la Sauron. I would also use Unique Names for those guys so they're named something generic like "Contender" but that might cause problems for the bodyguard (thus single-soldier not possible ... maybe ... or at least more complicated to do).

Ambitious is the word. But probably doable.

Oh, I expect the resource will be outside somewhere? Forget governor then. It might be even easier. Script could cycle through all faction generals, firing off CharacterSelected each time, and the trait trigger could respond to that with conditions counter=1 and "OnResource tourney". If there are multiple of these resources then the battle should be prevented from happening in the first place if more than one is currently stood upon by player faction, so the trigger is sure to give it to the correct guy.
    (I confirmed it's a resource outside, in the form of a tournament setting, and you're making a battle map to reflect that.)

As for solo-generals that is technically possible, as noted. Requires some work, and not guaranteed to be a solo soldier mind you (Sauron in TATW, who is an elephant with the actual soldier invisible inside the elephant in that case, often becomes three Saurons in battle when on larger unit sizes), but for the record, hehe.
    Would myself suggest you least to begin with present the feature as a Tournament, a "Bouhourt" or in modern terminology "Melee", where teams of knights [BGs in this case] fight each other all at once, instead of the 1vs1 Joust.

Thank Witty for me! I have the battle firing correctly, and kill_characters are working, but the traits are not being assigned with monitor CharacterSelected CharacterIsLocal plus counter=1. I tried to send the code to you Ngugi by PM but it wouldn't allow..

Correction: All is working! I had a set counter that was doing an extra step for nothing. problem solved and tourney feature is functional with traits to proper general!
    Last edited by Zantorian; April 20, 2017 at 06:21 PM.

Shall foreward it to Withwnar (Witty is a nick', quite fitting; apperently wrote that without thinking hehe), and glad to hear it works out

I should have concluded "Witty" would be Withwnar , the man is the king of scripts! Will definitely have to shout him out for that in the credits

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Hey guys! I've been able to pretty much finish the Welsh roster (for now), feedback is welcome

Teulu w/ Welsh captain:

Uchelwyr:

Marchogion:

Rhingylliaid:

Gwaywffyn (w/historical images to explain why they are missing a shoe ) :

Taflwr Gwaywffon:

Helwyr:

Bwâu Hir:

*I may still add mounted skirmishers, and infantry, we'll see*
    A very nice work. Remember that Scotish schildrons soldiers ussually wore yellow tunics!
    Here is a good reference picture:

Allow me a question:
    Why don't you use Rusichi horses and other materials?
    If you would like here is a tiny tutorial how to do it.
    Trust me it worths the trouble:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scotish pikeman.jpg  
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    A very nice work. Remember that Scotish schildrons soldiers ussually wore yellow tunics!
    Here is a good reference picture:

Allow me a question:
    Why don't you use Rusichi horses and other materials?
    If you would like here is a tiny tutorial how to do it.
    Trust me it worths the trouble:
    Thank you AnthoniusII. Well, indeed I have re-worked the Scottish Schiltron, I have High era Schiltron, and Late era with more armor. I have folders of reference images and yours will be added!

As for Rusichi horses, I have decided awhile back to do just that! I have started to use them, and replaced the other horses I was using, since I got a bit better with texture making.
    Last edited by Zantorian; April 22, 2017 at 06:40 AM.