Thread: RTR8 v3.1 barracks?

Default RTR8 v3.1 barracks?

Love the mod but as Rome I can't seem to wrap my head around a what the regular barrack building chain is suppose to do now that is has been completely replaced by the new romanisation building chain or whatever you wanna call it.

All the regular barrack chain seem to do is provide huge negatives and nothing more positive at all.

Am I missing something here?

Default Re: RTR8 v3.1 barracks?

Check Rhegium and Tarentum. See the Greek units? Those are recruitable due to the old vanilla barracks. We have not changed the name yet but it's basically a building that allows you to train local troops and specific mercenaries. We will fix the building effects in 4.0

thanks ahowl, so for now the barrack building chain is "only" giving you local troops and mercenaries depending on region at the higher end of the tier but has huge 30% penalty to law and 40% penalty to happiness.

If you do not plan to use the mercenaries it would seem to me that you would always want to destroy or not build the barrack chain at all to avoid these negatives? (just making sure I understand it correctly).

Well the negatives also represent the local mistrust and resentment of the region. This will be an area that we fine tune, but public order needs to be a bit challenging and this method was just a placeholder until we could find better alternatives.

To be honest I do not see any situation right now where I would ever want to have any barracks in my cities.

I just went through all my cities including the original ones in Italy and destroyed all the barracks.
    My public order and income shot up and the only "loss" is the lack of mercenaries which I do not really use anyway.

Do not see how the huge negative impacts of the barracks can ever justify building them just to get a few mercenaries.

We are just finding ways to make the game harder. I personally think it's ridiculously easy managing my cities when every population is above 120% happiness. It needs to be between 70-120 so that you actually have to manage your tax rates. We will probably switch it up to where it makes more sense but I guarantee it will be a very difficult game to play if you want to tax every city at very high yet keep them happy.

So, should we leave this barracks untouched in order to keep the game balance? I see that every city has barracks and i don't think that AI would ever destroy it's own buildings.

Yeah leave them alone a better method will be introduced in 4.0