Thread: What is the best writing references online for epic fantasy writing and historical fiction? Which blogs/websites/social media is good?

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default What is the best writing references online for epic fantasy writing and historical fiction? Which blogs/websites/social media is good?

That's essentially what I'm asking, but where can I find them?

I have a couple of questions:

I've been trying to find records of the Spanish Navy in the 1700s, and the Ships that were commanded by their captains. I've been trying to find out who was the Governor of the Spanish Yuctuan, and was there much evidence that during the golden age of piracy that pirates would have gone into the Spanish Realm and searched for lost treasures? Lost civilisation artefacts?

Default Re: What is the best writing references online for epic fantasy writing and historical fiction? Which blogs/websites/social media is good?

Hi The Ancient World!

I have searched a bit online and there is very little information online, since this is a very specific subject which is not researched often, I assume.
    But I found some things:

http://www.1715treasurefleet.com/ind...&id=2&Itemid=2
    http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php...avy-1700-1800/

These two are about the spanish fleet. Especially the second one does look well researched and it shows some copies of book pages about the ships. Maybe you want to buy this book since it looks like it adresses what you want to know.

About the governor:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_of_Yucat%C3%A1n

It's only a list of all of the governors of Yucatán

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: What is the best writing references online for epic fantasy writing and historical fiction? Which blogs/websites/social media is good?

Thanks man! Just what I needed and yes finding resources on the Spanish Empire is the most frustrating thing ever.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

r/worldbuilding might be a good place to start if you are interesting in creating your own kind of epic fantasy stuff. I'm sure they'll know a load of places to point you to as well.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Boriak's Avatar Senator

Google is your friend. Take your time, do your research and invest into a solid system for storing your internet bookmarks - you'll thank yourself in a couple of years.

One other note: if you visit massive sites for your references, chances are you will wind up writing stuff similar to a large number of other writers. If you want to be unique, you need to carve your own path. It will be lonelier, but eventually more gratifying.